“A little out of the way but worth the trip”

Devils Tower National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This 870-foot stone monument, thought to have been created from the remains of a volcano, is the center of many Indian religious ceremonies.
Missoula, Montana
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A little out of the way but worth the trip”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were on a road trip bound for South Dakota and thought we would take this side trip. I am glad we did! We drove our trailer so I would recommend on the busy days in summer to just park your trailer at the picnic area at the base. I was in awe of the size up close. You can see from miles away. There is a nice paved path that goes around the tower and very enjoyable and doable. I was with my 11 y.o daughter and 73 y.o mother. My mother needed to take breaks but plenty of benches for her to stop and rest. I am also glad we went to the right (don't know the direction now) instead of the left as it would have been more uphill for her. It was a wonderful visit.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“An Encounter with Geological Gorgeousness”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have to admit that ever since I first saw the movie, “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” way back in 1977, I’ve wanted to see Devils Tower up close. Well, it took me 36 years, but last month I finally made it! I was in Denver, CO, and drove for 6 hours just to be in the presence of this marvelous monolith. The drive up I-25 and WY-59 was pleasant enough, but not much in the way of scenery. One of the best moments of going to see Devils Tower is when you first catch a glimpse of it when you’re just a few miles away; it is so cool rounding a bend in the road and seeing this immense structure rising above the surrounding terrain! As you get closer, it becomes even more impressive.

Entrance fee is $10 per vehicle (unless you have an America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass). It was close to sundown when I arrived and the Tower looked beautiful with the sunlight still on it, highlighting the massive column structures that adorn its circumference. I climbed over and around some of the gigantic boulders that are piled up at the base of the Tower, enjoying the close-up view of the rocky skyscraper. Since there was no one else around at this time of day, I stopped and stood in silence for a few minutes and just listened to the sound of the wind as the sun set. I could see why the Native Americans revered this place; it truly felt as if I was one with Nature as I contemplated the Universe while in the shadow of this geological wonder.

If you’re one of those people that would look at Devils Tower and say, “What’s the big deal? It’s just a big rock sticking out of the ground in the middle of nowhere,” then I would say that it would not be worth your time coming to visit. I gave this place a rating of “Excellent” because for me it was another stunning example of Earth’s amazing beauty, and I got to fulfill my dream of having a close encounter with Devils Tower.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank PhlegmMaster
Rhondda, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Worth the effort”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Only just off the beaten track so to speak but a fascinating geological formation that you only realize its huge size when you get up close and take a walk around it. Although the track around is really only suitable for reasonably mobile visitors. There is a small store and drinks and snacks place at the entrance but nothing at the attraction itself which is no bad thing really. There is also an entrance fee payable.
Keep an eye open for the Prairie Dog city to both sides of the road as you enter.
Well worth the visit.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Lyn E
Grayling, Michigan
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“If you have the time . . .”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Go off the beaten path and visit this. Entrance fee required. Enjoy the nice long trail around the monument. Impressive views from miles away.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank sbidwell
Springfield, Tennessee
552 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 673 helpful votes
“Fascinating to see...Even in four feet of snow”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We visited, or attempted to visit, this national monument during the recent government shutdown. Fortunately the real beauty can be appreciated without ever entering the park. This massive structure can be seen from miles away. To make things even more interesting, we arrived one day ahead of a record snow storm that dumped four feet of snow on the area that stranded us for four days. Even with all of this, the monument was worth the 56 miles drive off the nearest interstate highway and resulted in some stunning photographs. The magical serenity of gazing on this fascinating structure while standing in a fresh field of snow is a unique moment. Though being stranded for a while, we left filled with awe. Hopefully your visit will be a little less eventful, but I do recommend you detour and spend an hour here. Keep in mind it is 28 miles off I-90 with nothing along the way. At the tower there are two stores and a KOA campground. The only town nearby is Hulett which has a modest grocery store and a couple of gas stations. Within the park are campgrounds, a visitor center and a few modest trails. So, either plan to camp or consider staying in Sundance or Hulett. Use your senior pass or national parks pass if you have one.

Visited October 2013