“Interesting Stop”

Devils Tower National Monument
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This 870-foot stone monument, thought to have been created from the remains of a volcano, is the center of many Indian religious ceremonies.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

On the spur of the moment we decided to see Devil's Tower. My husband and I were on a long trip out west and we had done the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore the day before. I didn't quite know what to expect as it is a tower of rock. It was really cool getting views of it as we drove up. The entrance fee was $10, but we had the America the beautiful pass and that can be used here. On the drive to the visitor's center we passed a prairie dog town and those little fellas are so cute! We did the 1.3 mile paved hike around the base and that was very interesting, yes it is a big rock but there is a lot of character in that big rock, there was a nice over look of a valley/river, and we saw some climbers climbing the tower. We did get to see a deer too, which isn't a big deal to us because in Wisconsin there are tons of deer. We went early in the morning which was good because there weren't many people and it was cooler temperature wise for walking. There was a tour group that was on the trail at the same time as us, I think it was a Japanese tour group, they seemed to be enjoying themselves but they were running and snapping pictures as quick as possible it was kind of funny. The trail did take us about 50 minutes and we took our time and talked to the mom of the people who were climbing the tower. We didn't spend much time in the visitors center, but I did spend about 10 minutes in line for the bathroom (bad timing with a tour groups). If you are in the area definately check it out.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,805)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family stopped by Devil's Tower because my husband and son wanted to see it. I was admittedly less than enthusiastic about it, but went along anyway. I was expecting, basically, a big 'ol rock sticking out of the ground in the middle of a searing, barren dessert... I mean, who hasn't seen pictures of this monument before? I was pleasantly surprised though, as there are beautiful, paved, shady trails all around the monument and tons of beautiful picture taking opportunities. There are bathrooms, visitor centers, gift shops and food available in several places too, so even my teenage daughter was happy once she got some ice cream and a souvenir. :) We got there early-ish... 9 or 10am I think... and the crowds weren't too bad, but by the time we left, there was a loooong line of cars at the entrance. Nominal entrance fee and there is a KOA at the base if you're a camping person.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Positive:
-Great natural site;
-360 degree view of the tower
-friendly park rangers
-clean bathrooms
-very reasonable entrance fee.

Negative:
-long drive to the site
-limited gift items at the shop

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is not a huge place and it gets crowded quickly so get here as early as you can. Once the crowd starts up, the place is less awe inspiring. There are several hikes around the tower, I took the 1.3 mile one and almost every step I wanted to take a picture. You can see it for miles away and it just keeps on getting bigger. Well worth the drive. BTW, ladies will have to wait in line for toilets.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

This big monolithic tower sticks right out in the Wyoming prairie. You can see it from miles away. The trail going around Devils Tower is also very nice, and it takes about an hour. Great attraction for people visiting the Black Hills, just a two hour drive away