“Avoid at all costs”
Review of The M Inn Mammoth

The M Inn Mammoth
Reviewed October 6, 2010

My wife and I were travelling to Vegas via Yosemite, etc and I chose Mammoth as a convienient place to stay for one night. I booked the King jacuzzi for around USD 160 ( I can't remember exactly but 160 is close enough) On arrival in Mammoth, I thought my sat nav was playing up as it took us away from the centre and into a residential area. Eventually we arrived at the M Inn to find nobody at reception but a letter with our name and instructions to register ourselves and a key for the room. There was no information about Mammoth or recommendations for resturants, etc, The room was very basic to say the least with a tiny TV and no remote, although my wife found this behind the reception desk !!. There was not even a chair in the bedroom, nor a wardrobe or any draws, just a wire rack contraption.To be fair the jacuzzi bathroom was very nice. We went for something to eat and on our return found a very basic breakfast laid out for the morning with instructions to make our own coffee, etc and really not much to eat. During the night their was a fair amount of noise from the neighbours until the early hours and come the morning we left as neither of us wanted to stay a moment longer. I spoke with who I think was the only other person that stayed that night. He told a similar story except that he had walked to a nearby diner to be told that he was crazy walking as there were a lot of bears around.
This was the strangest place I have ever stayed in, at no time did we see any sign of the owner, in fact it is my opinion that we were avoided on purpose. I most certainly would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mafco

Reviewed February 22, 2010

If you are looking for bare bones, relatively clean accomodations, the M will suit your needs pretty adequately. Or, if you want to relive your college days traveling through Europe via youth hostels, then you may really enjoy the experience at the M.

The advantages of this property were its location, it's in central Mammoth, quite close to Whiskey Creek and the fact they allow dogs in the first floor rooms.

The disadvantages are the paper thin walls, the overpowering garlic and burnt stir fry smells that waft from the kitchen, the sparse furnishings, the non-existance of any front desk staff, and the relatively high price compared to the level of accomodation.

For my money, next time I will be checking into the Motel 6 or staying in Bishop and driving up for the day to ski.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I read the reviews about the M Inn prior to booking and was a little scared. The price was right for a peak, holiday time ($109/night) so I booked it anyway. We were heading to Mammoth to ski after Christmas, during New Years and that week. The hotel is a little weird. It's really a cabin that they have converted into a "bed and breakfast" of sorts. Downstairs there is the reception desk (which is hardly ever manned because the girl that lives/works there has another job out in town somewhere) and a living area with two sofas and a gas fireplace. Despite the wood panelling and cabin vibe, the decor is modern minimalist (a la Ikea) with interesting abstract artwork on the walls. I heard some other guests had a room that they paid $130/night for and their bathroom was across the hall and shared so if you're concerned about that, ask before you booked.

Our room was upstairs and had a bath"room" in it, which is really one big room with a shower in it (not separate-- those in the room can see you shower). The room itself had the tiny shower (I mean, you must turn off the water when you lather up or shave and you cannot turn around) a queen bed (mattress uncomfortable), a bench and a wire shelving unit (the kind you may put in your garage) to keep your luggage on. That was about it. Pretty minimalist.

Breakfast was laid out on the dining table downstairs every morning and consisted of a coffee maker (you must make the coffee yourself), instant oatmeal packets, milk, oranges and bananas and juice. Maybe some bagels too. Pretty basic.

I give this descriptive review so people don't get the wrong idea about the place nor the "bed and breakfast" part. We were there to ski and that's it. The place was warm, clean and suited our purpose perfectly, it was just weird. If you're looking for a romantic couples weekend or if you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, this might not be the place for you. We just slept there and woke up, ate a quick bite, and hit the slopes. I would recommend this to people who don't want to pay the typical hotel premium prices during the peak season and who just need a warm and clean place to stay.

I hope this helps.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aschollmb
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We found the M Inn very enjoyable. The Inn keeper was extremely helpful and friendly. We like the modern clean feel of the rooms. Breakfast is nothing special, but we are not into big breakfasts. We would recommend this place to all who are looking for good value, clean rooms, and simple services.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We were doing a road trip along the US west coast and booked our hotels and B&Bs the day prior to arrival. The M Inn seemed to be a decent place, so we thought we would try it. Coming from a long day in the car, it was difficult to even find the place in Mammoth at first. Once we had arrived, the owner greeted us in the reception area. We had given our credit card to guarantee our reservation, and by the time we arrived (around 8.30 or 9ish), he had already charged the card with the full amount - probably to be sure he got his money.

After a conversation with the owner about Mammoth, the area and the US in general, he gave us our room key and recommended us a place to go for a "late dinner". Once back from dinner, we had a longer chat with the owner, which he concluded by saying that he's no going to go to the market in town and get some fresh fruit and nice food for breakfast.

The double room we got for around 130$ was very minimalistic in its furnishing, and besides plain white walls and a shelf and some lamps, there weren't too many other decorative objects in the room. So don't expect any nice decoration or attention to detail when you check in here.

The next morning we got up around 9 i think and went downstairs for breakfast. We were really looking forward to the nice fruit and stuff the owner talked about the previous night, but only found a little table with a coffee machine, some oatmeal bags, milk, and a couple of bags of differently flavored supermarket bagels. QUITE A DISSAPPOINTMENT!

Given the price the owner charged us, I would have really expected some larger choice at the breakfast. i mean, that's the only thing he really needs to do since it's a B&B (bed AND breakfast). A nice breakfast only costs a couple of dollars per guest, and it really changes the entire experience!

Overall, a big rip off compared to other B&Bs (such as the ones in Moab, UT).

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trvlaa
Reviewed July 27, 2009

Honestly, our experience wasn't horrible. The carpets needed replacing. TV was a mere, grainy 19". Corner jacuzzi tub was actually nice. This is not as much a bed and breakfast but a bed & continental breakfast. Not much to eat but bagels, packaged oatmeal & fruit. Innkeeper was quite cordial & very informative. OMG, talk about quirky taste in decorations!! Rustic old cabin with art deco interior just doesn't do it for me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

This hotel is "specia"l and we have never experienced such incredible service before.
My boyfriend and me were planned a ski trip at last minite for Christmas, so we couldn't find the hotels at very beginning. Finally, we booked 3 difference for 3 night. The M Inn is the last night we stayed and my boyfriend were looking forward to it because it is "B & B" and the price is $198/night. He thought it should be nice.
When we checked in around 5pm, we heard the guests just came back and asked the owner if there is hot water for shower. I was so shock that there is NO HOT WATER!!!! Then the owner answered her that hot water is avalible. However, he told us we better no use jacucci otherwise the other guest has no hot water for shower. this is rip off, when we called for booking, he strongly recommand that we take the room with jacucci , and now he told us that if use the jacucci then other guest might has no hot water for shower, and we have no hot water after jacucci.....

The room is not dirty and not very clean. Also, the TV is very tiny. Besides, this is a "B&B" like it advertised. In the morning, my boyfriend tryied to get a coffee for me, but there is nothing on the table....... he can only see some cup and glass over there, but No FOOD.

This is big rip-off and one the top 3 worst hotel i stayed. We absolutly not come back!!!!

Stayed: December 2008