New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Thousand Oaks, CA
“Great Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I was pleasently surprised. The room was extremely clean and very large. I'm not a big breakfast eater but they had plenty of choices - even freshly made waffles. Only negative was the outdated furniture and TV. We aren't TV watchers but this may be a negative for some people. I would definately stay here again.

Stayed January 2013
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear lah0718,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at Shilo Inns Mammoth Lakes. We are very proud of our staff and their attention to the details. We are glad to hear that the room was clean. Many guests have commented on the ‘roominess’ of their rooms as well. We are in the process of upgrading and many of our rooms do have a larger TV. We appreciate that you will return to Shilo as our return guests are very important to us. We look forward to seeing you again.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night while passing through. Rooms are large, clean, and have new mattresses. There is a nice pool and covered parking. Continental breakfast is included. Right on the main road into town. Good value. Would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MandB31
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear MandB31,

Thank you for adding your review to Trip Advisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Shilo Inn Mammoth Lakes. We know there are many choices one can make when it comes to Lodging and we just want you to know that we appreciate your choice to stay with us. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you into Mammoth Lakes.

GM
Ventura, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love this place! The rooms are tidy and have every amenity you need. The place is older but well maintained and the staff is friendly. Breakfast items provided are healthy, which is perfect for a day on the slopes. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Celita S
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear local73,

Thank you so much for the kind review. I will be sure to share your great comments with the staff. We all certainly hope you had a memorable trip to Mammoth Lakes and hope to see you at the Shilo Inn again very soon!

Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It seems like this facility was put together by handymen. Where ever we looked there were signs of shoddy workmanship and low quality materials being used. The wooden moldings around the elevator door frame were totally misaligned. The bathroom door in our room was so flimsy that somebody was able to poke hole in it. The faucet handle with the Shilo Inn logo was upside down and the warm/cold water reversed. The walls are so poorly insulated that you could hear every toilet flush from other rooms. The room itself was spacious, nicely furnished and cozy. Staff was friendly and courteous. Breakfast was adequate. $125.00 for an offseason room was a bit high. I probably would stay in this motel again. I just wish they would upgrade the quality a notch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Klausmac,

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We do not want our hotel to reflect shoddy workmanship. We will address your concerns to our maintenance department. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. They will be happy to know that their customer service did not go unnoticed. If you could drop a quick e-mail to mammothlakesmanager@shiloinns.com and let us know what room you were in, we could quickly get that faucet handle turned around as well. We look forward to your return to Mammoth Lakes Shilo.

Sydney B.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went to Mammoth Lakes for the night before we ventured out in the morning to Mono Lake and Bodie. Was a very pleasant stay. A strictly non-smoking hotel. Will get fined $300 if caught smoking. Just fine with me as I don't smoke. Not a 5-star hotel but the stay was pleasant. Courteous staff. Everything seems big at Mammoth (food orders, etc...) There was just some weird smell along the lobby. We requested a king room but when we went to the room it was 2 queens. We called front desk and immediately found us a king by the 2nd floor. At the 3rd floor there was this smell (kind of like a skunk smell) but when we got to the 2nd floor it was the same. It was a fleeting smell just in the mid section but gone as we got closer to the elevator area.

Room Tip: I assume all the rooms are spacious. We had a king room and very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Sue L,

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate the nice things you said about the staff. We do apologize for the mix up on bed type but we are pleased it was resolved quickly. As smells come and go when dealing with a lot of people everyday, we are glad it wasn’t lingering. We try our best to make our hotel as comfortable as possible and sometimes a guest may break the rules and smoke in our non-smoking rooms causing odors we may not like. I hope that helps explain the smells you encountered.

We hope you will return to any one of our great Shilo locations and would love to see you again in Mammoth Lakes.

Sydney B
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Staying at the Shilo Inn on my first visit to Mammoth Lakes 12 years ago served as an important part of my initial experience and impression of Mammoth Lakes (I love the Eastern Sierras). I've leaned towards reserving a room here on some sort of comfort and reliability level while aware of the negative reviews shared. Yes, they still use metal keys rather than keycard readers, yes, the room I stayed in lacked a flatscreen TV and the cable selection isn't much and yes, the continental breakfast offerings may be just on the "okay" side. I always feel secure with the old-fashioned lock, didn't come all the way to Mammoth to watch the tube, and an early morning coffee, OJ and muffin from the lobby start my day just fine especially before the tour bus crowd makes it way down. Admittedly, on my last visit three years ago, some things were in disrepair: plastic tarp over the ceiling in the hot tub/pool area, mold on the shower curtain. This time around, the hot tub was much more inviting with a fully-repaired ceiling and the bathroom looked clean and new. Was happy to see the self-help waffle maker, missing last time, back as part of breakfast. This was my first time on an upper-most floor so didn't miss someone stomping around on the ceiling late at night! If I did have something to pick on, the pillows weren't that great and the mattress cover would slide (after a long day of hiking, though, I don't care). Overall, on this trip, another good experience: still appreciate the big rooms, the small fridge and the wet bar sink, the covered parking lot, the location near the main road and a friendly staff (Note: after sending comments to the corporate office re: my stay, the Shilo manager emailed me with a nice reply the next day.)

Room Tip: A room on the fourth floor affords you possibly a better view and no one stomping on the ceiling lat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Flipflops99,

Thanks once again for ‘airing’ your view of Shilo Inn Mammoth Lakes. We appreciate constructive criticism and we are working hard on getting all of our rooms updated. And your comment regarding the pillows and mattress pads has been forwarded to our Purchasing department. We hope you understand the steps we are taking to make the needed improvements to make every stay a memorable one. We hope to see you again soon.

Sydney B.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I chose this hotel for its "deal" on Expedia, but it wasn't worth the price. It's clean, but really out of date. It feels old, cheap and worn out. Upon my arrival, they were mopping the lobby with toxic-smelling chemicals. There was a big bleach stain on the hall carpet in front of my door. I had a view of an alley and an ugly backside of the building next door. The room was clean. There was no towel rack in the bathroom, only the hole in the wall where the rack should have been. The indoor pool was something out of the 70's and smelled heavily of chlorine. We asked for a wake up call -- and the staff totally forgot about it. When we mentioned it to them, there no apologies. The breakfast was poorly presented, the cheapest food possible, and they didn't have enough seats for all the guests who were crowded in there and trying to eat. They ran out of cereal, and didn't bother to fill the bin. Their coffee had lots of grounds in it. I reserved via Expedia, and didn't have me "in the computer" upon arrival. What a mess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear toddinparis,

We at the Shilo Inn take pride in keeping our hotel clean. We are working hard to upgrade our rooms and all of the things you noted in your comments have been addressed and we appreciate your point of view. The 2nd floor, unfortunately does not have a ‘view’ because of the apartment building to the west side of us. Please accept our apologies regarding your stay. We will be sure all departments share this review so we can do better next time you stay with us. You are welcome to email the hotel with further comments if you would like at mammothlakesmanager@shiloinns.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Travelers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels