“Not a good value for the money”

Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have been going to Mammoth Lakes for over 40 years and are very familiar with the town after having lived there for several summers in the past. The Sierra Nevada Resort is really a motel and not a resort in the usual sense. We arrived at 3:50 PM and were informed by the desk clerk that we could not check in until 4:00 PM. Another man had arrived ahead of us and he was already waiting. As we stood around, other people arrived and were also informed check in was 4:00 PM. The desk clerk then left and more people arrived to mill about and learn from us veterans that check in was 4:00 PM. At 4:05 PM about 10 or 12 people were standing about and we were all upset. Eventually, the desk clerk reappeared and we were able to check in, although the later arrivals would have had a long wait in line. Mammoth Lakes is a ski resort and the skiers tend to beat up all the town's accommodations. The Sierra Nevada Resort shows this wear and tear. The hall carpets are filthy and worn giving a first impression of a seedy motel. The rooms are a bit better but they show their age. Motel maids can only do so much cleaning on a daily basis. Eventually a more thorough cleaning and fix-up is necessary and the Sierra Nevada Resort now needs a renovation. The place does not offer a complimentary breakfast, which most hotel resorts in this price category provide. To be fair to the Sierra Nevada Resort, Mammoth Lakes is an over priced community and none of the town's hotels offer a standard of quality that one expects for the prices that are charged. The same goes for the local restaurants.

Room Tip: Stay in Bishop California and save money
2  Thank geogene

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed 5 nights with these people and had a very unpleasant time. First, the cheaper ($120/night in summer) rooms don't have AC, which matters in July when I was there. Since you have no AC, you have to keep the one small window open so you don't suffocate, so you live with the street noises all night. Outside the windows of my wing is a miniature golf course open at night, so I tried to sleep to the sounds of screaming golfers every night. I also had to keep the room door open during the afternoon to get any air into the room. The hotel was doing construction in the attic above my room, so I listened to banging and hammering during the day. Additionally, the refrigerator didn't work well and the ice machine didn't work. I realize that construction has to be done, but I think the room price should reflect it, so I asked that my room charge be lowered to reflect the construction and the miniature golf noise, and I got a deadfish stare and a "There's nothing I can do." If they had warned me about any of these issues when I checked in, housed me elsewhere in the building, or shown the slightest interest in my dissatisfaction I might have come away thinking the place was sort of run down but charming. btw they boast of their recent expensive retrofit, but I think all the money was spent on the lobby--my room didn't show any signs of upgrading in the last few decades.

Room Tip: Check when making the reservation to get a room with AC and away from the miniature golf course. Ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jack r
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We started out in a room with 2 Queen beds and it was OK. Clean and pretty typical, with the exception of no dresser or closet to put our clothes away in, which was kind of nerve racking having to sort through the luggage every time we wanted to find something. However, we changed to a Fireplace Suite for the last 2 nights and wow! What a difference! I could have stayed a month. It was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Loved watching the fire from bed, being able to take a hot bath and being able to have a kitchenette so as not to feel pressured to rush out in order to get breakfast in the morning. Plenty of closet and drawer space and friendly staff, beautiful lobby. Pool area could use some updating, but all in all great trip.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the Fireplace suite if your budget allows! If you don't like animals, stay...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Matt Review:

Although we travel the world frequently it is uncommon for us to write reviews. Staying at the Sierra Nevada has moved us to share our experience with fellow travelers.
From: Our very late night arrival, numerous on site dining experiences, interactions with staff, chef and owners Jim and Nancy .....
....to : their "drop everything" compassion and kindness in accommodating our unexpected need to extend our stay, our rustic and serene yet slick forward tech room comforts, the fascinating history of the property, beautifully decorated comfortable and cool lobby, ideal location and the overall boutique feel the property emanates,.... we rank our stay a A SOLID FOUR STAR EXPERIENCE. We've already planned our return for ski season as soon as the snow falls. Thank you Jim, Nancy and staff.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

They are all very friendly & helpful. They go out of there way to help the guest.
Rhonda, the reservation manager are very nice & friendly. Even though it's been 2 years since my last stay, she still remember me & took care of me.
Michael, he's the person that shuttled me in the airport, very friendly & hepful.

I will come back to this hotel again & again.
Theresa from Hollister

Room Tip: Rooms are very nice & comfortable. I love the AC. The hotel is easy access to everything.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel was nicely renovated and a fair price. We stayed in a King Suite over the 4th of July weekend that had a small kitchenette. Grocery stores, restaurants and shops are all within walking distance. The bed was super comfortable and the sheets were excellent. The bathroom was very nice with shower and soaking tub (nice after long hikes or bike rides!), but if I am going to be honest the towels were rather scratchy so maybe toss in one of your own. The pool is tiny and filled with kids but if you just need to take a quick dip to cool down it serves the purpose.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband, two kids and I stayed at the Sierra Nevada Lodge the weekend before July 4th. We loved everything about it. The place was super authentic and cosy. We had a gorgeous room with a fireplace, a kitchenette and even heated toilet seat:) We went canoeing, biking, hiking...everything was right around the corner. The adjacent restaurant, Rafters, has very nice food too. The special top sirloin steak was beyond delicious. We will definitely go back for some more family adventures.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family