“great place and location”

Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our friend had her birthday party at Rafters last week. Being that it was off season up here, we decided to have a staycation and got a room at the Sierra Nevada Resort so we wouldn’t have to drive home. We ended up in a suite room and it was awesome. I wish we had had more time in the room and on the property to enjoy the amenities.

The room itself was spacious feeling with a King size (comfortable) bed. There was a propane fireplace on a timer which was great for falling asleep with it on. It had a kitchenette but we didn’t use it. The bathroom was very nice. It has a heated floor and a heated toilet seat (I’ve never used one and while it seems quite unnecessary, especially this time of year, it was quite amazing!). There was a large tub (wish I had had my Lush bath balls) and a large shower with two shower heads. The mini soaps and shampoos they provided seem to be a good quality.

The property itself offers a lot of amenities. Onsite are 3 restaurants and a mini golf course. I have eaten at all 3 and played the course (harder than it looks). I would imagine if I were staying for a number of days, this would be super convenient. The lobby of the lodge has been redone and is beautiful. There is a pool table (didn’t use but will!) and a cute little bar which I am looking forward to during the winter. The grand fireplace is beautiful. Being a local, I won’t be staying there in the winter, but I will probably come hang out in the lobby as I understand they plan on having some music as well.

We never made it to the pool, Jacuzzi or sauna so I can’t comment on those. In the morning we walked from the room to Rafters for breakfast. The path to get there goes through a cute little area with picnic tables and some chairs set up around a big fire drum. I think this place would be great for groups of families. I was very impressed with the improvements (especially since I had seen what it looked like before the remodel).

Room Tip: We got a remodeled suite and it was very nice. It wasn't a really busy time so it wasn't no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Sierra Nevada Lodge in Mammoth for years, and loved it! Our family used to stay in their Kitchen Suite Queen, which was a beautiful large vaulted room with 2 queen beds and a pull-out queen sofa. It was perfect for our party of 5. The rates were excellent for the area.
Last December, I booked a One Bedroom Chalet for my birthday weekend. They no longer had the Kitchen Suite Queen rooms, so I had reluctantly booked the One Bedroom Chalet. The week before we were to arrive, they called me, and told me that the had to cancel my reservation, because of their renovations. Luckily, I was able to get a room at the Mammoth Creek Inn, which was comparable to the Kitchen Suite Queen. They were very nice, and our family went back a few times.
I thought I would try the Sierra Nevada Lodge one more time from April 24-26, and reserved a One Bedroom Chalet. It was 2 smaller size rooms with a queen bed in the bedroom, and a pull-out sofa in the other room. It was nice, but I prefer the Kitchen Suite Queen.
In my opinion, they should have kept the rooms the same, and just upgraded the interior. Probably going to go back to Mammoth Creek Inn in the future, because the Sierra Nevada changed too much for my family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JMR17
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I stumbled upon this place by accident. The exterior looks like a clean roadside motel, but once you step inside, it is gorgeous. The staff was very friendly and really took care of any problems we had. The rooms are amazing with beds high off the floor anf beautifully decorated. I think we had about 10 pillows on our bed. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank challandusa
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This property has it all-history, charm, beautiful rooms and an incredible hotel staff. It was such a pleasant surprise upon entering my room and have this beautiful gas fire place waiting to be turned on at a flip of a switch. The bathroom was like a spa, separate shower for in the morning and a soaking tub for the end of the day. Walking distance to everything with a very helpful front desk. Rafters next to hotel was open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Loved it! Can't wait to come back. Mountain Lodge atmosphere with upscale amenities.

Room Tip: Book for a great stay
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Spacious and luxurious new rooms, customer friendly staff and the best location in Mammoth. We loved the new room decor and enjoyed all three restaurants on the property. Rafters is just plain cool and you can have a drink in the new lobby bar to die for on your arrival. They even have a piano in the lobby you can play. The Wine Captain Chip knows more about wine than the best Los Angeles, New York or San Francisco Restaurants. The cellar is well stocked and the Bar area of rafters very warm and inviting.

The Red Lantern serves flat out some of the best chinese food you will eat- not just in Mammoth- but anywhere. It offers a degree of romance and style one would not expect to find in Mammoth. Anyone coming from the big city will really like this restaurant.

Jimmy's Taverna has the freshest and best tasting seafood on the mountain with a genuine atmosphere of being inside a high end Greek Tavern-but the menu is well priced. The floor and walls are a mosaic of stone and the gigantic candles spread about the room add a soft light that makes everyone in the room glow. The music is authentic and the acoustics excellent for late night conversation.

in the Hotel Room, the beds were new and the mattresses very comfortable. The bathrooms were remodeled with superb taste and style. The linens have a high thread count and the Flat Panels TV's very new with lots of channels for sports.

With a new shuttle to the slopes and Airport maybe 15 minutes away,- this is the place to stay and really enjoy all that Mammoth offers. You can even buy your lift tickets on site!

We especially loved the outdoor dining on the rafters patio for breakfast and coffee and the smell of autumn pine air while while enjoying a splendid view of the mountain.

We are going back this summer- so wanted to share my experience about the Resort.

Room Tip: They have some Suites that are to die for!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Daxsteel
Sierra Nevada L, General Manager at Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

I am delighted that enjoyed your stay at the NEW Sierra Nevada Resort! It sound like you were able to take advantage of our many fine restaurants and amenities during your visit to Mammoth. For your next visit I have a great tip for you. I just tried the Blackberry Multigrain pancakes at the Rafters last Sunday at brunch - best pancakes I have had anywhere!

Looking forward to seeing you in the summertime,

Rhonda Duggan

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here in October 2012 they were doing refurbishments to the rooms when we stayed so we were put in a lodge which was lovely, large lounge with fully equipped kitchen area and a log fire which they lit for you if you wanted them too, large bedroom with very comfortable bed. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was included at the bar/ restaurant on sites which was good. Great location too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We used to ski at Mammoth Mountain 20 years ago, but stopped because the hotels and restaurants were so poor compared to Vail and Lake Tahoe. We had the opportunity to celebrate a friend's BD over the summer in Mammoth and we stayed at the Sierra Nevada Resort. They were starting renovations which caught my eye and they had just opened a very elegant Chinese restaurant called Red Lantern. We were very impressed with the decor and food quality as well as the service and wine pairing from their wine expert "Chip" who was really wonderful and informative.

Fast forward to February 2013 and back to Mammoth to ski and stayed again at Sierra Nevada.
The renovations were completed and positively beautiful. We could not believe the level of comfort and elegance to which the owners have taken this property. The rooms were huge, with great fireplaces, stone showers and counter tops and my wife's favorite, a heated toilet seat. There is a "kitchen bar" in the rooms which is convenient if you want to stay in for the evening. There is a big flat screen in the room over the fireplace with really comfy chairs to relax in and watch TV.

The morning breakfast layout is extensive with several cereals in large dispensers and other items as well as the hot breakfast available. The Banana pancakes were my favorite. They have a great lunch menu too. We had dinner in Rafters and heard the Osso Buco was a family recipe…and it was outstanding! We also dined at their new restaurant called Jimmy's and I had the best lobster tail that I ever had-- grilled in their wood burning ovens. It was hard to believe food and service in Mammoth has become be so good. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Mammoth-- and you don't half to be stuck in the crowds of the village. After a long day of skiing, we were thrilled that we didn't need to leave the property to have dinner at a different restaurant every night. I have a re-found love of Mammoth Mountain now.

M.K. Los Angeles, CA

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the second floor because of thier high vaulted ceilings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends