“Nice but overpriced for a delux 1 bedroom cabin.”

Tamarack Lodge and Resort
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Great location. Clean. We stayed in cabin 10--don't! Unless you want to learn spanish and be greeted by housekeeping staff out your kitchen window( no drapes) each morning. Storage cabin is next door.
Staff not accommodating. Resort fee is a joke. When I asked what it covered, was told Internet, breakfast and shuttle service. We only took advantage of breakfast for the extra $20 per day. Breakfast consists of 2 kinds of cereal, hard
Boiled eggs, bagel, orange juice, coffee, tea and fresh fruit, which I had to request.
Tip-if there is snow ( none now), and you want to snowshoe or Xcountry right outside your room, as advertised, be prepared
To drop $52 for a 2 day pass. No free trails near here.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Chowell1234

Reviewed December 13, 2011

It was the cheapest place we could find online, and had everything we needed. Two of us shared a queen bed, the washroom is shared between the other rooms in the hallway, and the continental breakfast was not fancy (cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels), but we didn't want anything fancy, so it was perfect!

It was cheap, close to the mountain, and provided breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed December 11, 2011

The tamarack lodge was perfect for what we needed, just came to mammoth to ski for the weekend and the rates were fair and the service was great and people were very kind and accomadating

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 29, 2011

A member of the Tamarack Lodge desk staff said it best “we are the Anti-Village.” Tamarack Lodge and resort is unlike any other lodging in the Mammoth area and definitely not for everyone. As you can see from the other reviews, people either love the Tamarack Lodge or hate it – the trick is deciding which group you fall in. To find out, just take this little test:

Does your dream vacation involve spas, shopping, endless activities, big screen TVs, bars, and Starbucks? If so, DO NOT stay at the Tamarack Lodge!!! It offers none of those things and you will hate it!

If, however, you are looking for an intimate, quiet, relaxing TV free retreat, where you are surrounded by stunning scenery, the Tamarack Lodge may just be what you are looking for! Tamarack Lodge is located up a narrow twisting road, miles from the Village and downtown Mammoth Lakes. To fans of the Lodge, that seclusion is part of its appeal. Just out the door are miles of trails that lead you into the surrounding pine forests, which can be tackled on foot, bike, snowshoe, or cross country ski, depending on the season. Wildlife abounds in the area. We’ve seen deer, coyotes, and on our last trip, bald eagles. Far from the city, nights are pitch black and the sky ablaze with stars. Intrigued?

Now comes the hard part – choosing a room. There are many types of accommodations available at the Tamarack Lodge and Resort, running the gamut from a standard hotel room in the 1924 lodge to a new three-bedroom deluxe LEED certified cabin that sleeps eight. Obviously, each has their own advantages and disadvantages. We like the historic studio cabins, but someone else might think them too small. My best suggestion is that you check out the Tamarack Lodge website for pictures, descriptions, and prices, to see what best fits your needs. If you have additional questions, call the Lodge directly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank TwoWheelExplorer
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We love to visit Mammoth whenever we can get away for a while. This was our first time staying at the Tamarack Lodge and Resort. I have always wanted to stay there as it sits on the shores of Twin Lakes.
We rented a Historic 1 bedroom cabin because we wanted to have a wood burning stove. The cabin was rustic and had a separate bedroom, bathroom and small kitchen area. Knowing it was in the great outdoors we weren't expecting a hotel like feel but we were greatly disappointed in the cleanliness of the place. There was food stuck on the dishes, mouse traps throughout the cabin, leftover food and other items underneath the couch and chairs, the carpet and furniture had seen better days in the 80's and there was dust and spider webs throughout the cabin. I do know that the cabin we had (cabin 37) was not a newly renovated cabin so maybe the newer cabins look much better and are cleaner.
The restaurant was closed for renovation so I cannot review that portion of the resort. It looked as if they may have had a continental breakfast (cold cereal and coffee) but we were never told about it.
For the price that we paid ($290.07) a night we feel it was a rip off, especially since we had just come from the Wawona Hotel in Yosemite National Park for a lot less.

Room Tip: Though I haven't stayed in one of their renovated cabins you might ask for one even though they...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CaliforniaBabaGirl
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed at Tamarack Lodge/Resort last weekend and I have to say it was so disappointing.
It is so run down ,I don't think they've done a thing since we were there 25 years ago. It is definitely on the decline and ridiculously overpriced.They also charge an additional $20.00 a day for a resort amenity fee.What amenities?
The continental breakfast consisted of coffee,juice and bread slices or bagels and had such a poor presentation.
Staff was underwhelming at best!!!
We ended up cancelling our dinner reservation because we felt that it would be more of the same.
The view outside is great of twin lakes but you can have the same view for free just by parking your car across the street or staying at the beautiful campground next door.
Would not recommend to friends for sure.

Room Tip: Are you kidding.I would not recommend.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank R H
Augie2009, General Manager at Tamarack Lodge and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay in Mammoth. Tamarack Lodge is a historic lodge built in 1924. Due to renovations over the years, cabins can range from an older unit constructed in the 1950's to our 12 newer deluxe cabins built in the last 9 years. That being said, our lodge embraces quirks consistent with aged buildings. That being said, you might be interested to know that we are in the process of renovating our lodge bathrooms and updating the lodge room décor as well. Might I suggest, the next time you are in town, stop in, say hello, & request to see one of our newer deluxe cabins? I do believe you will find those more suitable for your taste. Additionally, our continental breakfast provides a wide array of options, perhaps you didn't notice the variety of cold cereals, oatmeal, apples, oranges and teas we offer. We appreciate you past business and hope you will give us another opportunity to live up to your expectations as I am confident that you will have a more positive experience during your next stay.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is a great place to stay, for the right type of visitors. This is NOT for you if you require Westin Hotel type accomodations, go elsewhere if you do! Just read the reviews and look at the photos. This review is about a single room in the lodge not about the cabins. Me, I was on a several day holiday in early October where I packed my MTB and some books and headed for Mammoth for recharge. I was by myself, looking for R&R, and an relatively cheap room in a nice quiet setting with access to Mammoth. I did not have reservations though I had scouted hotels online. I wasn't keen on look, and often the price, of the more run-of-the-mill hotels in Mammoth village. When I pulled up to the hotel and checked out the lodge and a room I knew this was better than I hoped for. I was really happy with my stay.
This a an old lodge set on the edge of a beautiful lake with mountains looming, 2 miles up a well maintained road from the town of Mammoth on the way to several other small lakes, trails and campgrounds. I said old because it has character, as other reviewers said it is quaint, alpine, European feeling. It has a cozy lodge feel, the hallway floor creaked in places, the door frames aren't always square, the floors in the room weren't always level by the walls, the furnishings are comfortable if older, the walls were varnished pine, the rooms are small but comfortable. The bed was was very comfortable, the room was clean. Most rooms require sharing a bathroom in the hall so be comfortable with that. Staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was standard hotel lobby breakfast but in a much nicer lodge setting. Loved hte upstairs photos with accompanying explanation of the historic gold mine ruins that I hiked around. There are boats and bikes available. All in all, it is what it is, and I look forward to returning with my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank cgstickman
Augie2009, General Manager at Tamarack Lodge and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Tamarack. I am glad that you enjoyed your summer vacation with us. Unlike other resorts or hotels in town, Tamarack’s goal is to provide a retreat-like setting, off of the beaten path, where it is possible to unwind, recharge and learn more about nature and in-turn learn more about one’s self. I am happy that we were successful in creating a positive environment for you. Come back this winter and explore the stunning Lakes Basin region in winter on a set of snowshoes or cross-country skis.