“Beware of Westin Monache”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
san diego
“Beware of Westin Monache”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We have stayed at this wonderfull resorts several times a year since they opened. We have always loved the service and the location.
I recieved my credit card statement and saw I was charged for an extra night in thier 2 bedroom suite which runs about 800.00 per night. When I brought this to their attention I got the run around and unreturned phone calls. I will be the last 5000.00 dollars they get from me!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank luv2goSanDiego
mj1Mammoth, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are disappointed to hear that you encountered challenges during your stay, particularly in regards to your guest room charges. As the only branded, luxury hotel in Mammoth Lakes, please know that this is not the normal experience of a Westin Monache Resort guest. Your feedback is valuable to us and gives us great benefit as we continue to develop and improve our performance and the quality of the facilities and services we promise to deliver. We have reviewed your comments about the possible over charge error and would like to learn more so that we may take the appropriate action.

We do appreciate your past business and your supportive words about our service and location. We do hope you will give us another opportunity live up to your expectations as I am confident that you will have a more positive experience during your next stay. Thank you very much again for your feedback.

Stay well,

Brent Truax, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
Reviewed February 3, 2011

There are good hotels, and there are exceptional hotels and this one blows everything else in Mammoth out of the water! I promised my husband to a ski trip for his birthday, and picked this hotel for our stay in Mammoth. I'm so glad I did. We arrived as it was dark, snowing and cold outside, but once we arrived at the hotel, I pressed the button to open the heavy doors to the secure parking garage and was immediately relieved to be out of the storm and into the warmth and comfort of the Westin Monache. The rooms are all nicely sized and have kitchenettes, some larger than others, as well as refrigerators, microwaves, dishwashers and utensils, which are extremely useful. I only wish every hotel had a set-up like this! Our room also had a large and comfortable window seat, which offered a spectacular view of the mountain. After a short walk down the stairs, and across the street from the hotel, you will find yourself in The Village. There are some good restaurants here, but best of all, there is the Mammoth Mountain Gondola which allows you quick and easily access to the slopes. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Mammoth Lakes and will definitely stay at the Westin Monache again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MizzSpider
Palmdale, California
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We stay here often, great for the kids and our little dog.
I'd especially like to recognize Ann Bellamy for her warm smile and individualized attention. When we checked-in, Ann got us set up with our room in record time, even though we were early and the crush of guests checking-out at the end of the weekend was great. Later that afternoon we inquired after a future reservation and Ann was again on the spot to make recommendations and help us take care of things.
Ann's proactive, efficient and positive attitude is all too rare these days. It's really refreshing, and goes a long way in making The Westin-Monache a true luxury experience. Thanks Ann!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank obriender
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I've been a Mammoth Season Pass holder for years and I've been staying at the Westin in Mammoth many weekends each season since it was built in December of 2007. The Westin Monache in Mammoth has now started changing the fine print on their reservation cancellation policy. In the past, you always had until 4 pm the day before your arrival date to cancel without penalty. Now they are changing the fine print so that each time you book, they are giving you a differnt number of days to cancel without being charged a $600 cancellation fee. I tried to cancel a reservation for a Sunday night 5 days in advance and they refused to let me cancel that one night reservation without charging a $600 cancellation fee. The cost to stay at that hotel that night is only $329 and their cancellation fee is $600!! Also, I had 2 other reservations in the next 2 months at that same Westin and both of those reservations say you have until 4 pm the night before to cancel without penalty (and both of those reservations are for a Friday & Saturday night). Beware of the Westin and their business practices - they have just lost a customer for life and American Express will lose my business as well since I have a Starwood American Express card - I spend an average of $60,000 a year on that card and they collect merchant fees on that $60,000 - even with this information - the Westin would not budge and would not let me cancel a Sunday night reservation 5 days in advance without charging me a $600 cancellation fee. Do not do business with the Westin in Mammoth!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank CoronaDelMar412
mj1Mammoth, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, March 2, 2011
We apologize for any misunderstanding with your recent visit. While cancelation terms vary between properties, each Westin Hotel and Resort strives to clearly and accurately communicate policies at the time of reservation, both by phone, email and through our website. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused and hope to have you as a guest in the future.

Best,

Brent Truax, General Manager
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I had booked two nights when at the last minute they informed me that their boiler had failed and there was no heat or hot water.
They set us up in the nearby and excellent Grand Sierra Resort Condominiums, and picked up the lodging tab for our stay! (see my review)
I was impressed beyond measure by this supreme gesture of good customer relations by Westin. They will certainly get my business whenever possible!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank winetripper
Santa Clarita
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I will report once our stay is complete 1/28/2011 but so far....what a effort they provide to try their best to get what you would have had...if you were pleasured enough to stay at the Westin Monache Mammoth. We planned to have a very well deserved vacation, had a time off of work no pay. and sitters paid for (ouch twin toddlers and a 12 year old in shcool) and all of a sudden the WESTIN was shut down for the WEEK we had a looked forward to for a long time..."Husbands 40th BDay"....the only thing I have to say, it is the Friday before we leave on Monday and everyone has been more than gracious and Ann Bellamy (most , most helpful and sincere) took my call to heart and helped as so did Egnacio and the others before that, I was to frantic to gather names....

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BELLC
brisbane
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We had a gorgeous four days at the Westin Monache. Loved the location (don't be put off by the stairs comments in earlier reviews .. they are not that bad! just the altitude that has you huffing a bit on the way up!), beautiful room and terrific service ..especially the ability to take a shuttle to grab a few things etc. Lovely restaurant in Whitebark also and great service (they even cooked my little girl pancakes at lunchtime without complaint when she was unwell). Great housekeeping, lovely touches like Starbucks coffee etc - very reminiscent of the Westin experience we had at Whistler. Had a great 2br suite that had plenty of room for 2 adult and 2 kids (plus a sofa bed if needed so could have easily accomodated more). One oddity . a tiny, tiny shower in a huge bathroom ..architects got that one wrong! Noise from people whooping it up in the outdor hot tub kind of travelled too. Great product, great stay if you love a good aesthetic.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family