“The best of the best!”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Everything about this hotel is above and beyond excellent. The staff are probably the friendliest people I have ever met and they go above and beyond to make your stay the best ever. I really am amazed at how people voice thier negative opinions on here and talk terrible about the staff. I stay at The Westin every year and I really hope I don't run into some of these kind of people during my stay because I think it would ruin it. Thank you Westin for giving me and my family a great place to stay every year!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed at Mommoth Lakes during our summer vacation in California. I stayed here because i could not find any good accomodation at Yosemite Park and decided to stay off the track for a day or two. It was worth the trip ! The Mammoth Lakes are great and the outdoor activities also. Really a nice place in summer because you are away from the heat.

The hotel is modern, new, spacious, great - it has a pool for the kids and must be a wonderful plave in winter also. We had a view to the woods which was awesome.

If you plan a Tahoe trip -- just spare some days for this wonderful area

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We had initially thought of staying at the Village Lodge but glad we didn't. I'm glad I read other reviews and followed my instinct. While the Westin is not in the Village it is close enough (75 steps) so that you can just walk to it but you do not get the noise in the evening and it also has a/c which other resorts do not. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed. There is a rather bulky table that seats four. The refrigerator makes ice cubes so that was a nice surprise. We were told that we had the "larger" of the one bedroom suites and felt that there was enough room for the four of us although it would probably be a little cramped in the winter time with all your ski equipment. There is no seat/shelf to store any of your winter gear. The sofa bed was a little saggy in the middle but the kids slept fine. The heavenly beds were superb. Front desk was extremely helpful and the concierge is so knowledgeable. The front desk makes you aware right up front that there is a $25 resort fee. I liked that there were coin operated laundry machines on the first floor. The pool and jaccuzzi were a nice treat after a long day of hiking. It is a good hotel for the summer I don't know whether I would stay at the Westin in the winter. I think Juniper Lodge is a better place for the winter. The one bedrooms are a little bigger and they have full kitchens which is a plus because there are really no great places to eat in Mammoth. Overall, I really enjoyed staying at the Westin.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I had some issues booking a room at this hotel, simply because their web site isn’t as honest and straightforward about charges as it should be. To prevent anyone else from having similar problems, here is a helpful translation of their web site:

1. Even if you book a room at the “Best Available Rate” as opposed to the “Fully Prepaid, Non Refundable” rate, the hotel will immediately charge you a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit for the cost of one night. The web site doesn’t say it’s non-refundable, but trust me, you aren’t getting it back even if you change or cancel your reservation days ahead of time.

2. The web site says that if you cancel the reservation a day before the arrival date, “there will be no forfeiture amount”. Which is a lie because in actuality, you will lose your nonrefundable deposit.

So like one of the previous reviewers, I was left with negative feelings about this hotel and Westin because of booking issues. My advice to anyone who wants to stay here would be to put off booking a room until as late as possible, especially if you think you might need to change or cancel the reservation because there’s such a hefty penalty involved.

As for the physical hotel itself, it was pretty nice. The $25 a day resort fee didn’t bother me much because the hotel was at least straightforward about it. When were there, it covered parking (valet and underground parking) and wi-fi, for which a lot of other hotels would charge extra. If you want to self-park your car in the underground garage, do the following when you arrive: leave your car in the entryway; go into the lobby to check-in to your room; then come back outside and use your room key to get into the underground parking garage.

We booked a deluxe studio suite with view. I don’t recommend paying extra for a view (see picture); we were mostly looking at trees, and they put us right over an area where they were doing construction. What I liked about the room: great kitchenette; 3 nice seating areas, including a cushioned window seat; large bathroom; clothesline in the tub for those wet bathing suits; room in the fridge for our stuff, as opposed to it being filled with for-fee items; and in general the room looked fairly new and up-to-date. What I didn’t like about the room: almost no counter space in the bathroom; nowhere to hang a towel near the sink; rather noisy fridge and air conditioner; and no sheets on the bed, just a down comforter, which made for a rather warm night. The last two are unfortunately becoming the norm in hotels.

In all this could be a nice hotel if they fixed the booking issues.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelerfromsj
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We booked online and had to prepay our entire vacation for a nonrefundable, but at an extremely excellent rate. We felt we got excellent value the Monache. The room was brand newly decorated, very well laid out and extremely well stocked. We asked for a room that was quiet with a view and the receptionist at the front desk made it happen even though it required some shuffling. She was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is also very nice. Some of the servers are exceptionally helpful and friendly. Amazing prices for drinks and light dinner between 4:30-6:30 PM. Great little Kids Club to drop kids off at during dinner (but you must feed them yourself either before or after as there are no snacks allowed at the club which was odd). The pool is wonderful and all the guests seemed friendly to each other and tolerant of differing kids, dogs, adults only agendas etc.. which was super nice. Mammoth has a lovely surrounding area for hiking,fishing, skiing and exploring. The Monache is by far the best choice in Mammoth for comfort and small luxuries when back from the trails or slopes.
Only negatives were housekeeping could use improvement. Our room some days looked as if they spent only 20 minutes tidying up and amenities were rarely replenished. The hallways were often dirty and grimy as well. Also the water in the hotel tastes terrible like chemicals.
Overall this is an excellent new hotel with many comforts and great value. We hope to return again soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MountainOceanGirl
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Everything about this hotel is excellent! We went there this past weekend (8/5 thru 8/8) for the Bluesapalooza, a beer and blues festival. The location was perfect with a quick 5-10 minute walk if you didn't want to wait for a complimentary hotel shuttle. Also the Village with shops and restaurants are just down the stairs and across the street from the Westin. Even with friendly dogs everywhere including the hotel, the place was clean and very welcoming. We didn't see one unruly dog while we were there. We enjoyed the happy hours in the White Bark Restaurant. Besides great drink prices during the HH, they also serve up some delicious food. Everyone there was great and very helpful.

The only incident I have to point out as it has yet to be rectified is that the hotel double charged my credit card before checking in. That is, they charged me for 2 separate reservations for the exact 3 nights. Once I saw what had happened, I called the hotel to try to get this resolved and after some time, I was told they would refund one of the reservations which still has not been completed. It's been 2 weeks since I first called the hotel to correct this mistake and again pointed out when we checked in. Still have not been refunded. FYI, this double charge occurred simply b/c I made special requests to my already non-refundable, confirmed reservation. I never canceled. I knew it was a non-cancel-able reservation, all I did was ask for a quiet room with a mountain view. So they gave me a whole new reservation with another charge to my credit card. I simply can't understand how they could have done this w/o me canceling to begin with. After speaking with the finance manager, they seem to think there's a glitch in their software. Still, it's been very frustrating and though the quality and comfort of the hotel is still outstanding, this experience have left me with some negative feelings. I suppose lesson learned is to call before making any special requests when booking with any Starwood properties. Hopefully this will be taken care of soon.

Having said that, we had a great time. The location, service, the people, the area, the food, pool, everything was just wonderful. Loved our large room with a heavenly bed! I think this Blusaplooza can be a fun annual thing. Though, would also love to check it out during the skiing season.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We were not able to stay for our ski vacation that had been planned for many months. Just walking into the hotel can set off allergies. Dogs are barking and pulling on leashes trying to get to eachother. The snow outside is yellow and brown with droppings. It is not relaxing.

We had made a request for a room due to the allergies our family has. The hotel told us upon arrival that they can't guarantee that any room has not been used with dogs. We ended up sick from our allergies and lost money all around on tickets, rentals, etc..

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family