“Ok Stay”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Upon arriving, I was hassled by the front desk staff member who wouldn't check me in because the reservation was under my married name but the credit card and Id was my maiden name. This has never been an issue at any other Westin property or hotel that I have stayed at. Finally he consulted another staff member and she gladly checked me in. Service was great and attentive on Saturday but went downhill from there. On Sunday and Monday, when I dialed the Westin Express number from the room it rang several times and nobody picked up. One time I was also put on hold for over 10 minutes and had to call again. I even was dropped off by a shuttle to the nearby Village on Sunday night and was told I could call to be picked up. I called 3 times before someone finally picked up the phone. It seemed like they were fully staffed on Saturday but had minimal staffing once the weekend guests checked out on Sunday morning.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

My apologies for the lack of service you experienced. The security issue you encountered is a Westin Brand Standard; we are not allowed to check-in any individual (same name) not on the reservation. However, there are things they could have done to help you while making the experience less frustrating. In addition, I have spoken to my Front Office Manager to research your telecommunication issue. Our Service Express department is the key guest communication department; we will make the proper adjustments.

My Apologies,
Patrick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Our room had a fireplace, window lounge area ( large enough for our child to spread out on ) and a pull out sleeper sofa. We had one TV and a well stocked kitchenette. We chose the breakfast downstairs. We should have asked for the points instead and tried the crepe place in the building across outside called side door cafe. The "free" breakfast is juice/ coffee/tea/milk/hot chocolate for 3.50 each, and a plate with 3 small danish pastries OR toast, cold cereal in a plastic peel off container OR a small bowl of granola mix (milk / yogurt) priced at 15.00 each plate. The receipt details the costs and it's free with the coupon given during check in. The crepe place would have been more interesting. Our kids enjoyed the pool which thankfully had pool float noodles, boards, loungers, tables and umbrellas. The 2 large hot tubs were great during the cooler evenings. We liked the included robes and water bottles. The exercise room had a cold water bubbler, refridgerated towels, 2 TVs and each treadmill had it's own TV. Clean tranquil place with beautiful views and short walking distance to the village for snacks, starbucks, and restaurant / bars.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank sarahsnow

Thank for taking the time to provide this very detailed review. I am happy to read you all enjoyed your stay. The staff and I anxiously await your return.

Be Well,

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Staff friendly, one-room suite nice, but needed some refreshing. When we arrived our original room location was across the hall from the pool and the fitness center. When making our reservations several weeks earlier, the room was advertised with a mountain view. I had also requested a quiet location. We were put in a room on the fourth floor over the driveway, so not likely an improvement from the one across from the fitness center.

Cleanliness was another story. We had to request some basic amenities such as bottled water and shampoo. Stove top had not been cleaned from the prior occupant. It was unclear when the bed linens had last been cleaned.

Pet friendly hotel--in fact it almost looked like more dogs were staying at the hotel than guests. So, if you have allergies this would not be the location for you.

Guest beware--almost $64.00 per night for resort fees and other miscellaneous taxes!!

A side note: if you want a quiet location, check out the two tables on the patio outside the bar. Happy hour is still pricey, but it was nice to sit away from the noise and chaos of the restaurant.

We travel extensively, so this property overall was disappointing.

Room Tip: Request room on higher floor, less noise if you face away from village and over driveway in front of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J H

I apologize for this experience. I am not sure what time you arrived or why the room scenario was not proper. We have no rooms across the hall from our Westin Fitness Studio. I assume you mean down the hall. We do take all request into consideration, but without knowing what time you checked in, I would assume we provide you a room that was vacant and ready. We are very busy over the summer so our options become limited. Our Resort Fee is $25 a night, It includes Wifi, valet parking, phone usage, and unlimited shuttle service to most destination throughout town. Taxes are based on your rate so not most stays will not reach a $64 charge. The Westin brand is Pet friendly and the town of Mammoth is extremely dog friendly; our summers do provide a hotel very welcoming to dogs.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Never having been to Mammoth, the Westin surprised us. A beautiful property. Rooms are very nice and HUGE, and of course very clean. Nicely appointed, too. Our room had a fireplace, nice big sofa, and a fantastic bathroom. Nice touch with the rain shower/handheld shower attachments. Location is right in the middle of Mammoth - just a short drive to Devil's Postpile.

We ate dinner in the Whitebark lounge - it was happy hour all night (Wednesday night), so we feasted on their appetizers at half price. Good truffle fries! Good salad! After getting them raw at first, good Kobe Sliders! And 22 ounce local draft beer at $5? WOW! Server Kenny was great. Always attentive and helpful.

$25 resort fee includes internet WiFi and self parking. That's a bit steep, but OK.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this very nice review. I am happy the town and the property were able to positively surprise you. Kenny at the Whitebark is one of our best. Thank you for the business and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

I don't know the Westin Hotel Group at all though I recognized the Starwood group.
American relatives suggested we stop here on our way to Death Valley & Las Vegas.
It was so well worth it - lovely hotel in a picturesque setting not known on the European Tourist Trail.
Basically it's a Ski Resort out of season but so many other outdoor things to do in the Summer season if you wish.
For us it was a place to rest for the night and perfect - our room was of the highest quality in all areas including a kitchenette complete with Microwave/Miele Stovetop/Crockery etc/Fridge - well all you could possibly need. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool.
We chose a superior room with a den. This provided private Accomodation for a couple. Then the two teenagers required separate beds. The den had a double bed and the lounge a double sofa bed. We were a party of four.
I swam laps early morning in the large pool - perfect for a 'proper' swim. The Gym looked good too but no time to check it out.
I think the Hotel is dog friendly as I bumped into at least 3 dogs which not being a dog owner doesn't bother me as long as the fogs are trained!!
Shops/food outlets/Ralph Lauren outlet nearby - there is a complimentary shuttle service to them or nearby small Airports serving Yosemite.
Happy hour drinks & food also very good/reasonable.
We paid around 220$ for the night - probably double in the skiing season.
Loved it!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to write such a nice review. I hope you enjoyed Las Vegas and Death Valley. We are dog friendly, and Mammoth is a very dog friendly area. I hope this wasn't a 1 time stay, we all look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We had a six hours drive to this hotel from Santa Barbara. We went straight to the restaurant after we checked in. Hostess is very cheerful and attentive. Food are good. This hotel is wonderful. Rooms are clean with great view. If you travel with family, I highly recommended you to book the two bedrooms suite, it comes with two separated bedrooms and a huge living room with sofa bed.
There's also a free trolley to go around the lakes nearby the hotel. (trip takes about 45 mins)
I wish I could stay longer, this is such a nice place to relax and recharge

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Cactus L

Thank you for writing this very nice review. Our goal at Westin is to ensure you leave feeling better than when you arrived. The fact you felt "relaxed and recharged" is really wonderful to read. We wished you had time to stay long too! This just means you have to come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

All was great, especially liked the food from the Whitebark (room service). Their salmon dishes are excellent. Taco Tuesday can slow them down a bit but just give them 15 minutes extra. & all will be fine.

They do charge $25 daily resort fee but this covers unlimited Internet connections as well as self parking in their garage (it was like coming home each day).

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jason M

Thank you for the very thorough review. I am happy to read you had such a pleasant stay. Taco Tuesday is my favorite night! We look forward to your return!