“They Get It Right”

GreenLeadersSilver level
san francisco
“They Get It Right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

We booked this hotel on short notice and was a bit wary based on some of the initial reviews of the property (has now been open approx a year). Any concerns we had we're alleviated when we arrived and we're warmly greeted and encouraged to share any particular needs or requirements that we had for our stay. This was particularly helpful as we were traveling with our two small children and father in law (we were celebrating his 75th birthday). The hotel proactively offered us special amenities for our kids and pet and went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and well taken care of.

The hotel itself is a consistent with other newer Westin ski resort properties. Access to the gondola and village is easy and the hotel provides shuttle service to and from anywhere in town which saves the walk back to the hotel (its short but a bit uphill)

The rooms are modern and the layout works. The decor is contemporary and they use natural wood and stone in the rooms which provides a warmer look and feel. The bedrooms and baths are classic Westin and met our expectations.

One particular highlight was the staff, from the time we checked in to the attentive management and front desk to the extremely patient and helpful concierge (Buck), it was clear that this property was working hard to get it right and build the right reputation.

Well worth staying

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — One restaurant
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Stratford Upon Avon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

We stayed overnight here in August on our way from San Francisco to Vegas, and I really wished we'd stayed longer.
The room was gorgeous, the hotel was spotless, the service was great and the food was lovely.
Lovely fire in the living area of the room, well equipped kitchenette, great bathroom and comfortable bed.

• Liked — Comfortable and Cosy
  • Disliked — Didn't stay long enough
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

Couldn't fault it at all. Not only had an lovely room with a wonderful view but also a fabulous meal in the restaurant. Staff were very helpful and the beds were amazingly comfortable. Room service breakfat was great too. Would recommend a stay at the Westin.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Fresno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2008

I seen other reviews and this hotel can be pricey. We stayed during the off season and got a buy two nights get one free deal that put this hotel in our budget. We stayed in a deluxe room that had a full kitchen (with dishwasher) and a large bathroom. I felt comfortable, as if I were at home, and the staff were very friendly. The hotel is located in walking distance to the village and the clocktower center. So there are place to eat and hangout nearby.

• Liked — The room was beautiful!
  • Disliked — Our AT&T phone service didn't work at the hotel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Del Mar, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

Oops, my last review got cut off.

The short of it is that we have stayed there a few times in the short duration that it has been opened. We really love it and would buy a unit if THEY HAD 3 BEDROOM UNITS. Since the largest unit is only two bedrooms we are going to stay there until either we find a perfect 3+ bedroom condo/home or until our family outgrows the 2 bedroom unit.

The property is conveniently located across the street from the Village. What is good about that is that during the busy season the Village is very loud and across the street at the Westin it is much quieter. We stayed at the Intrawest Village property across the street and many of our stays the noise was unbearable. Not a problem at the Westin.

We actually haven't skied out of the Westin, but the inconvenience seems to be that there is a large set of stairs that one will need to either decend out in the morning and ascend back in the evening. That is probably a hassle with skis and possible small children in your hands and care.

The rooms are fabulous and comfortable, the lobby is great, I at first didn't get what the motif was, but once I visited Devil's Postpile I then saw that was what they had a model of in the lobby. Very cool. The pool is great and the restaurant is great (especially the happy hour in the bar). Lastly, the Westin Kid's Club is also great. My 4 and 8 year olds LOVE Westin Kid's Club and cry when it is not open.

Overall it is Fabulous! I really wish they has some 3 bedroom units, I would buy one in a minute!

• Liked — Location, newness, luxuory and convenience
  • Disliked — stairs will inconvenience many in the winter.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

The Westin is new ,clean and modern with big rooms.The usual excellent Westin beds, European style baths , a small kitchenette and fridge make up a good room package.

But there are still some stupid little mistakes.The air conditioning is powerful and directed straight at the bed head.Instead of curtains the rooms are fitted with shuttered window blinds. We had three rooms. They were stuck in all three.There are only two lifts and during a busy weekend many guests gave up and walked. Good for their heart and blood circulation maybe but bad for a 4 star hotel.The underground parking area is cramped and narrow.It is a brave guest who forsakes the valet and tries to park his 4x4 him or herself.And food spilt on the passage floors was still not cleared up after two days.

The hotel is right in the middle of new Mammoth ( the skiing bit with the trendy boutiques and chi chi restaurants. ) But it is a 10 minute drive away form the old town centre, supermarket etc.

The staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank roger39
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

Ah, when they say they have Heavenly Beds, they mean it. Nothing ruins a trip more than a crappy bed, and the Westin comes through like a shining star with this one! Best bed I've ever slept in.

But before we even hit the room, I was impressed with the beautiful lobby. I read some other review that it was terribly modern and not mountain lodge like at all. Uh, what? It was beautifuly done in wood and there is this amazing replica of Devils Postpile behind the check in area. How clever is that? And the wall of 'candles' was very tastefully done. The furniture was very lodge like with out being ski shack tacky. I liked that the check in area was small podium like stands rather than a cold counter. When our room keys were handed to use the person walked around the podium to hand them to us which I though was nice.

This might sound odd, but the restrooms were by far the cleanest and best smelling ones I've have ever been in to. Their White Tea signature scent really sets the mood for a pleasant visit. They can send someone to do up my bathroom like theirs with no problem.

We got a 1 bedroom suite on the 5th floor with a view of the pool and a partial mountain view. The room was much better than what I had expected. The minute I walked in I was impressed by the full kitchen. All the appliances and dishes you needed and then some. It had a dishwasher, stove, micro, fridge with a killer ice maker, just great! The furniture was really tastefull and the 32 in flat screen in the living room was nice. I enjoyed the artwork on the walls. They were all photos of the surrounding Sierras.

The bedroom was very cozy. We had a king sized bed which was awesome. Another 32 inch flat screen was on the dresser. The bathroom was fine although the sink area was a bit small and it was hard to place our items, but that so wasn't a deal breaker. The tub is deep to soak the sore muscles from skiing or mountain biking. You get some pretty plush robes as well.

The pool area was really nice. There were three adults and two kids altogether and we had a great time at the pool. Its huge and you couldn't possible feel crowded. Same goes for the two sizeable jacuzzis. I loved that there was a gas grill for guests to use. Because we were on our way to Yosemite and had to cancel due to the fire, I just threw on the steaks that we had planned to bbq there. The only issue with the pool area is that we were told that from 4-6:30 was happy hour by the pool and drinks were half price. I had to walk to the lobby, wet and cold to ask the front desk where the bar man was. Someone came 20 minutes later but we were billed full price plus a $4 room service fee and 18% tip! When we checked out though I explained the situation to the front desk and the full charge was removed without question. That is good service in my opinion.

When we crashed out for the night, the kids slept on the queen sized pull out couch which was pretty darn comfy for a pull out. The MIL slept on a roll away twin which was also a Heavenly Bed. Super comfy as well.

The one thing I had to really praise this hotel about may seem insignificant to most, but if you are a mountain vacationer and are bothered by the dry weather, the Westin will bring you a warm mist humidifier. In all the years I've skiied I have never once stayed in a hotel that provided one. It made the difference between sleep and no sleep for me because unless its raining or the spring thaw, Mammoth is really dry.

I do plan on going back in the winter to ski and I will be staying at the Wesin.

• Liked — coziness of teh room
  • Disliked — teh a/c unit wa a bit strong. No way to have in on low with it not blasting air
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family