“Great hotel but not so good skiing experience”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Long Beach, California
“Great hotel but not so good skiing experience”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The hotel is excellent in trying to accomodate our needs. Clean place, friendly staff, Great pools and very importantly dog friendly. Great location with the village just across the street. And they have a gondola that brings you up to the Mammoth lake ski.

The down side is room is a bit small. They also lack a spa, so the girls have to go across the street to the village to do that. The fitness center is just average.

The very poor experience is the staff at the Mammoth ski resorts rental. Highly not recommending them if you have other alternatives like Tahoe, Vail, Aspen, Wolf Creek, Durango.

Room Tip: The higher floors are queiter.
Green Features: All Westins urge you to re-use towels if you can and I like that. But, I was looking for bio-degradable dog poo bags but they don't have them.
1 Thank DG0tt
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin for your hospitality needs while in Mammoth Lakes. I really appreciate you recognizing the staff. They are all very passionate about this property and want to ensure you have a wonderful Westin branded experience. I am sorry you had such a bad experience with the mountain; I usually hear complimentary remarks about their service. We all thank you for your recent stay and hope it's too long before you return.

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for Easter the hotel room was fabulous, modern & spacious, pool was great and the location was superb. My only complaint is that the wireless internet was really poor, connection dropped all the time ( on 4 different devices so not a hardware problem) and the speed was terrible. We moved on the Venetian in Vegas and the speed was at least 10x there so it's obviously not a problem with big hotels.

The Westin is a great hotel though and that was a minor gripe. Highly recommended.

Stayed April 2014
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thanks you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I really appreciate the very nice review and I apologize for your internet experience. Internet was actually out #1 problem until November 2013. We had a new system installed with 200 megs and the complaints stopped. I don’t understand why your connection was not responding but I sympathetic; we all rely so heavily on devices. I really like the “Highly Recommend” statement. I hope you have plans to return in the near future.

Seal Beach, California
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed using Starwood points and got a nice Studio "suite" on the top (7th) floor. The room was very modern and clean with 2 burners, microwave and an undersink fridge with an ice maker- which cuts down on space quite a big. The only complaint about the room was the bed was very soft and nothing like the typical Westin Heavenly bed. The studios have a nice sitting/daybed aread next to the window that was a nice place to read, and the kids loved sleeping there over the Full size fold out bed. We also saw a 2 bedroom suite which has a full size kitchen, and a large dining room that our in-laws were in. It was a VERY nice room.

We were there during Spring break but they weren't busy, so there seemed to be a skeleton staff, but they were all VERY NICE, but there was no concierge when we were there. Valet parking was free, but we had to wait a couple times given the skeleton staff, and ended up just self parking but inserting your room key into the reader by the garage. The hotels location was really convienient too since it's across the street from the gondola to Canyon Lodge, but be warned about the "Kung Fu Panda" steps as my kids called them. Definitely leave your gear at the lodge at the end of the day. With the altitude, it was tough just walking up them after a day of skiing. If you want to go to Main Lodge, it's only 15 minutes away by car. The hotel has a couple shuttles and will drive you pretty much anywhere you want to go in the Mammoth area- it's a GREAT service.

The hotel also has seasonal specials on Tuesdays. We just missed the sushi special during the Winter season, but they had a "taco Tuesday" with $2 street tacos for Spring that were very good; they came in fried fish, steak, pork and chicken. They also have a Happy Hour from 3-6PM with discounts on many food items in the lounge. The food was probably the best tasting we had in Mammonth.

I'm not sure where all the negative reviews came from, but our room was in great shape and the staff was VERY nice. We'll be back for sure. Hopefully the beds will be replaced by then.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for the review and the laugh. I am going to start referring to the stairs as the Kung Fu Panda stairs. The feedback you provide is really well written and I believe many other guests will benefit. Our 6 pillars of wellness - Eat Well, Sleep Well, Move Well, Play Well, Work Well & Feel Well are a big part of the Westin Experience and it would seem you were able to indulge them all. I am sorry to read about the bed. Our Heavenly bed has been the key component to our guest room for over a decade. I apologize for your discomfort and I will have Housekeeping inspect our beds. I hope you make plans to join us over the summer.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a pleasant stay at this hotel. Was greeted by hotel staff and was upgraded to a deluxe studio suite room with view of the gandola. Hotel is walking distance to the village... would recommend to family and friends. Had Starbucks coffee and hor chocolate throughout the day..

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank for the very nice review. The hot chocolate is seasonal but a big hit, especially with the kids. Thank you for choosing the Westin, we hope to see you again soon.

Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Perfect for first visit to Mammoth. The concierge gave us great recommendations, the restaurant is fantastic. We loved our server, "Bohdi," he gave us great tips on where to board, hike and visit. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. Checking in was a little unorganized and the wait was long. The person who helped me was a bit grumpy-maybe she was new. We wanted to add a night and she was supposed to get back to me on the price, but never did. But they made our dog Sophie feel comfortable, and it was so convenient. You do not need a car, once to the hotel. The gondola is right outside the hotel--across the street. The Gondola is free for anyone. We liked having the option to return for lunch and cook dinner in our room (although we only did each once). The rooms are very clean, and all have a nice view of the forest or mountains--there is no need to ask for a better view--all the views are nice. Our fireplace was cozy and our bed very, very comfortable. Our son slept on the pull out sofa in the living room, while my husband and I shared the large, King sized bed in the bedroom (we got a 1 bedroom, but w bedrooms are also available). The room is very small. The kitchen area is tiny, but it was well stocked with a blender, pots and pans, tea and coffee maker, plates and utensils. There is no need to print anything except food. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: All Rooms have great views--not a problem. I did not try the Spa, but it was fun to see people runni...
Green Features: You can turn in vouchers for hotel points or $5 in the dining area in exchange for not having your room/towles cleaned.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank for taking the time to recognize the staff. Bohdi is an amazing server and a better person. I am embarrassed by the service of the Front Office representative. I have already send this remark to my Front Office Manager to use a training example. The staff has been highly trained and should be much better at following through and ensuring satisfaction. I happy to read you would stay here again; I hope it is the near future.

Irvine, California
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the Westin Monache in February 2014, and enjoyed our stay so much that we returned in March 2014. The Westin is perfect for families traveling with dogs. We have a 6-month old husky puppy and from the moment we arrived, he was treated like a little prince by all of the staff! The hotel is well-maintained and impeccably clean; you'd never be able to tell that it's popular among pooch-owners. The Westin is also terrific if there are individuals in your group who are not big into skiing or other winter sports. It's close walking distance to the shops and restaurants in the village, or if they prefer, they can relax in the modern comforts and luxuries of the hotel. The only areas in need of improvement are the slow and congested elevators. I'm not sure if it's because we visited during weekends, but we consistently had long waits (4-5+ min) for the elevators. The doors close very quickly, not giving older/less mobile individuals much time to make it into the elevator. Other than that, we love staying here and will continue visiting with our little furry monster for years to come!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank for not only 1 trip but 2; I appreciate the continued support. Mammoth Lakes, is the Dog friendliest town I have worked in. My staff really enjoys meeting all the dogs, but they do have an affinity for huskies. I thank you for the elevator feedback. I will have the service provider check the closing speed of the doors. Thank you for choosing the Westin, we hope to see you again soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I've never had to ask so many questions and chase things up as much as I have at this hotel. I'm such a low maintenance guest. I check in. I stay. I check out.

- Booked the hotel shuttle to pick me up at the airport. It was not there, I borrowed a cell phone from a stranger, the hotel said they had no record of the booking. They even went as far as to say that is not unusual.
- Had to follow up the food/beverage credit which was part of my package, it was not mentioned at check in and I did not know if it applied to the restaurant and/or room service.
- Got to my room, two lights did not work. Maintenance came.
- Room had washing up liquid but no sponge or plug for the sink. Housekeeping came.
- Wanted to order room service, the only hot vegetarian meal was not available. Had a kids meal instead.
- Went to the pool. No towels. Used the house phone by the pool. No answer. Asked a passing bellman to call housekeeping. 45 minutes later still no towels.
- Two pillow cases had stains on them. Housekeeping came with new ones and wanted to just hand them over. I asked if he could change them and he was huffy with me. After he changed them he walked out and left the dirty ones in the floor. I did call up and make a complaint about this as he was unnecessarily rude. It is not my fault housekeeping put stained pillow cases on and I don't pay to stay in a hotel to have to make the bed myself. Sorry Westin.
- Checked in with skis. Would have been good if they mentioned the free ski storage for guests at The Village Gondola so you don't have to lug your skis up the 80 stairs. I read about it on here and enquired the next day. Only the hotel did not tell me guests need a valet pass from the hotel to check their skis for free.

Having said all of that the hotel is in a good location opposite The Village, my room was a good size and well equipped, the staff are friendly (save for the housekeeping guy above) and the pool is great.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MelbourneSkiGirl
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
MelbourneSkiGirl, I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you received. We usually do a very good job exceeding our guests expectations. The staff here is well trained and eager to assist our guests in all situation. The goal is to ensure the property is a compliment to their Mammoth outdoor experience. I have already discussed your review with our Executive Housekeeper, Front Office Manager and the Chief Engineer. I thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. I certainly would not want another guest to have a similar experience. If you are ever back in Mammoth Lakes, please provide us the opportunity to rectify this past stay; I believe if you give us another chance we will provide you with a true Westin Branded Experience.

Sincerest Apologies,