“Best Ski Resort in California!”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My family and I spent most of New Year's week at this resort and we had such an amazing time! The staff at the resort are well trained and very professional. They met all of our requests and needs. The property is walking distance from The Village which makes it extremely convenient if you want to get on the gondolas to catch some snow or to eat at one of the many restaurants. The rooms have a kitchenette, small refrigerator, fireplace and a balcony which makes it easier to settle in and cook quick meals if traveling with children. The resort is dog friendly which makes for an even better family trip without having to leave the furry friend behind. All in all, I highly recommend this resort to anyone wanting to get away or for the family wanting to spend some quality time at a high class resort.

Room Tip: Corner suites ending in 21 are slightly bigger and have nice views of The Village.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for deciding to spend your family, holiday vacation at the Westin Monache. We all very much appreciate your business and the time you spent providing this feedback. Mammoth is a wonderful family destination. We are a year round outdoor experience for all the senses. Our intention is for you to leave our property feeling relaxed and renewed. I hope you have the ability to visit us in the summer months as well; equally as fun!

Patrick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Visited Mammoth during the summer months and book a room at the Westin. The location was good for walking down into the centre at night for pubs and restaurants. The room was great and well equipped to a good standard. We had a couple of minor issues with the safe but the staff were sent up quickly and were very friendly. There was a nice pool area which was clean and quiet.There were also good laundry facilities which was very useful. Good place to stay with children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

A family vacation to Mammoth in the summer is a great experience. Thank you for sharing this time with us at the Westin. We have great things for families to do in the winter as well! I hope you have the opportunity to make this a yearly tradition. Thank you for your business!

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Everything you need in a hotel is right here! If I'm not staying in a cabin I'm staying here! We had a Mini kitchen in the suite with fridge, coffee maker, stove, microwave, everything...perfect and convenient! A cozy fireplace and balcony over looking the local shopping center town square. We stayed here over the holidays and the rates were excellent considering! The hotel has a gym and heated pools and two jacuzzis- absolutely necessary for after a day on the slopes. Great location or on site restaurant for a quick bite!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissD819

Well you are #1 to us as well! Thank you for the very nice comments. Our top priority is you overall wellness, and ensuring you leave feeling better than when you arrived. We hope to see you again during the ski season or hiking and fishing in the summer. Thanks again!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

After a near impossible experience with the Starwood SPG and central reservation system, I contacted the hotel directly, spoke with the most helpful General Manager, Patrick and it was smooth sailing from there.

We stayed here before and were familiar with the excellent accommodations.

Service - Solicitous and Accommodating always with a smile. The people who work here are obviously well trained and happy to have guests that they can serve.

Food - They have a new chef - The food was so good that I asked to meet him and share my compliments.

Rooms - we had a studio suite and a two bedroom suite - everything was terrific, clean, comfortable bed, excellent internet etc., (the only negative feedback is that the towels were not of the same quality level that resonates throughout the rest of the hotel).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ScottandLaurie
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for your continued loyalty with the Westin Mammoth. I again apologize for the reservation experience. I really appreciate you recognizing the staff; they all work hard to ensure you receive a Westin branded experience. Let me know any way I can help in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Excellent value! Quality you expect from Westin and right in the heart of Mammoth. Would definitely stay here again...

Walking down the steps to the village can take your breath away but you can always ask for a ride down...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank eric_baurle
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you Eric for choosing the Westin for you ski weekend. I am happy to read you had a nice stay and would consider us again for you next trip. We all are very proud to work at a Westin Hotel and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was our second stay here. I don't remember the service being so poor in 2008, but this time a lot of staff members just fell short of expectations.

1. I received a standard email from the concierge a few days before our stay offering to help with dinner reservations, so I asked for a reservation at Whitebark (the Westin restaurant) on one of the nights. He said they only had a 5:00 and 8:15 opening. Clearly it was a busy time for them, so it would have been nice if they had sent the email sooner before everything got so booked up.

2. When the bellman brought us our luggage, he asked if there was anything else we needed. We said we noticed there was no kitchen sponge in the kitchenette, and he replied, "just use the phone to call service express, and they can have one sent up." Um, yeah. So why did you ask if we needed anything?

3. One day I called service express and asked four housekeeping service between 11 and 12. She said OK, so I left the room, and came back at 1:00 expecting the room to be done. It hadn't even been started. I was on a schedule, and only had a sheet window of time when the room could be cleaned. I called back service express and told the say woman that housekeeping did not come. She told me that they take their lunch break between 11 and 12. So why didn't she tell me that the first time? I would have rearranged things to accommodate that schedule.

There were several little annoyances like that throughout our stay. A burned out light bulb in a lamp that required two phone calls before someone would come replace it, tons of kids taking up table space in the cocktail lounge so adults had to stand with their drinks, the wrong appetizer brought to our table at dinner.

Overall, nothing terribly major to complain about, but all these little service mishaps just don't make you feel like a welcome guest or customer. It just seems that they don't try very hard.

We would still recommend this hotel, and we would stay here again, but that's partly because there really is only one other full service hotel in Mammoth.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LosAngelesTravelBug
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you Ms. LosAngelesTravelBug, I truly appreciate this feedback. I have already brought these issues to the respective departments heads so they can use them as real life training scenarios. I apologize you had this poor level of service. Everyone at this property has been trained in all of the Westin Brand Standards, and my expectation is they are followed without condition. I know your experience was the exception and not the norm; please allow us another opportunity to provide you with an exceptional Westin branded experience. Our mission is to ensure you leave property feeling better than when you arrived; we were obviously not successful during your last stay. I believe your next trip to our property will resemble the 2008 stay vs. the 2013 stay.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We loved the location and the service. We loved the fact it had a small fireplace and a small kitchenette in the studio where we were able to cook some of our meals. They have an outdoor heated pool which our kids enjoyed. All the staff members were very friendly and helpful. Across the street from the hotel you have more restaurant options and the gondola service which takes you straight to Canyon Lodge. The hotel also has ski rental service. You can get your ski equipment at the hotel then return it at Canyon Lodge once you are done for the day.

The only draw backs that I noticed was that there was no one at the concierge's desk to answer questions. The restaurant at the hotel had limited vegetarian options and was very pricey. Otherwise we enjoyed our stay and would come back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank twosweetpea

Thank you for your review and for spending a few days at the Westin Monache. I am happy to read you enjoyed your time with us and the kids were able to use the pool. I am sorry about the concierge; we have a full time concierge and are in the process of bringing on a second. I hope to see you back soon; we all appreciate your business.