“Great place to stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights during the start of the winter season. The hotel was lovely, really luxurious with 2 massive jacuzzi's and a heated swimming pool. It's located within easy access to both Mammoth village and town and there is a free shuttle to take you where you want to go. We also ate in the excellent hotel restaurant. We found the staff really helpful and loved our really relaxing stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Weejen21, thank you for this wonderful feedback. We are all very proud to be associated with the Westin Brand. The Westin mission is to provide a "Wellness" experience based on our 6 pillars - Eat Well, Play Well, Feel Well. Work Well, Sleep Well, and Move Well. I am happy to read you really enjoyed Whitebark, our restaurant. We have a new Executive Chef and he making a lot of positive changes to both the food and wine menus. I hope you will come visit us again soon.

Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We enjoyed a night at the Westin Monache , a very welcoming hotel ,staff very friendly and attention to detail was first class. The room was excellent and bed so comfy.
We dinned at the hotel restaurant and had a excellent meal.

My only problem was we only had one night at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for the nice review; we take great pride in being a Westin Hotel. In addition, thank you for mentioning our staff. They work very hard to ensure all our guests enjoy a Westin Branded experience. We hope you return for more renewal, for more nights, in the not-to-distant future. Thank you for your business, we all really appreciate!

Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Although it is not the easiest place to access, once you arrive you won't have to travel very far. This dog friendly hotel has everything a hiker, mountain biker, fisherman/woman or skier could desire. Located on the immediate outskirts of Mammoth Lakes village, it is just a gondola ride away from the newly built St. Regis and a short drive away from 3 very fishing-friendly lakes where we photographed our first black bear in the wild. On top of this, the room itself exceeded our expectations. It provided cooking facilities - stove top, microwave, small fridge, and sink along with dishes and cooking utensils - along with the pillow top queen bed for which Westin is noted, a large screen TV, and a great mountain view. An across-the-street free shuttle is provided to the lakes, the town, and the Mammoth Mountain gondola. And, it is only a 40 minute drive to the east entrance of Yosemite, the side less visited by most tourists. Who could ask for more!! Staff is friendly and helpful, shopping is abundant, and woody surroundings a bonus. It more than exceeded our expectations!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this very informative review. Seeing a black bear in the wild is really something special; I am glad you were able to experience that moment. Mammoth Lakes, CA offers an incredible variety of outdoor activities and does have a very active nightlife. Thank you for choosing the Westin; we anxiously await your return.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights as a stop between Vegas and Yosemite during October (off-season).
This hotel was a nice place to stay, I booked a one bedroom with balcony and that's what I got - on 5th floor, overlooking the village (as Gold SPG we did get a glass of free bubbly each, but nothing extra). (Actually the free bubbly was a bit weird, we had just driven 6 hours from Vegas, hauled our luggage into the lobby, checked in and then ... had to drag luggage over to sitting area so we could gulp the bubbly before getting up to our room. Nice touch though)

There is a resort fee which covers parking and wifi and is advertised. Wifi was fine when we were there. The weird things is you only get the water once per stay - it's not replenished. Kinda weird for a resort fee ....

The room is comfy and as advertised. Had to get a man to come and set the pilot light on the gas heater though. Windows and doors are double-glazed which is nice but the balcony door lets in a little draught somehow.

View was pretty after the snow. This is a dog-friendly hotel, all the dogs were saw were well behaved and we didn't see any 'evidence' lying around the property so the owners must be pretty responsible.

Overall kind of pricey for off-season, but a very nice place to stay. Would be a lot busier in winter though.

Room Tip: No upgrades for SPG members as this is a condo, so book the room you want.
Green Features: Wanted to skip the housekeeping but my partner likes fresh towels. Get 500 SPG points if you do though!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You Welly-China-Girl for choosing the Westin Monache for your hospitality needs while in Mammoth Lakes, CA. I appreciate your business and the detailed review. Our mission at Westin Hotel’s is to ensure you leave feeling refreshed and renewed. I hope you will consider us again the next time you are in Mammoth Lakes.

Sydney, Autralia
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I agree that our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Given that I requested a room with a 'scenic view' and what I got overlooked a paved area I felt a little miffed but was willing to overlook that. However then we were forced to dine in the restaurant with a large group of very loud, sexist and crude men on a bucks night. I was so uncomfortable I left my dinner, this behaviour in a restaurant should not have been tolerated by management but instead they encouraged the men by getting them more shots and have a flirtatious young girl wait on them. Awful experience for me my husband stayed to finish his meal and would stay here again. I would not

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kori B, thank you for the feedback. I apologize you were put in a situation where the F&B team was unable to ensure your satisfaction. We train our managers to be very responsive when events similar to the one you describe occur in any of our outlets. I am sorry the proper response did not occur while you were in Whitebark. I have brought all the managers in F&B together and discussed this exact review and the right response. The Westin Experience is about your wellbeing and departing the property feeling better than when you arrived. I feel very strongly that if you were to return your experience would be extremely positive. I hope to see you back on property, enjoying all the benefits of the Westin Brand!

My Apologies,
Milan
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms here are wonderful, however you got to be luck to get a room with nice view. My husband and I arrived late Friday night, very tired. The couple checking in prior to us got a Sparkling wine flight, while we didn't get the same treatment. I guess they treat customers in different ways. The next morning I woke up to see that our view was of a paved road. When calling reception to ask if they had a more private room, they told me all rooms are the same. By walking the premises, it was obvious that was not true. To sum up, the rooms are very "resort-like", while staff lacks on attention to customers and their expectations. In the end, I felt I paid for something I didn't get, and so, the experience was expensive.

Room Tip: I stayed at 3rd floor, room 327, and didn't like the view. Pedestrians can look inside your room...
1 Thank Paola B
Paola, thank you for taking the time to provide this pertinent feedback, it will be used to provide better service to our guest in the future. The check-in champagne is a welcome gift for our SPG members. At check-in all guests should be offered the opportunity to enroll in our frequent travel program, or if you are already a member your number should be put in the system. I apologize you did not feel the view was not aligned with what you desired. Room 327 is on the 3rd floor overlooking the village complex, the mountains in the background and many additional mountains in the distance. I am not sure I understand your statement about pedestrians looking into your room. The room sits 30 feet above the ground and there are 75 stairs that lead to the street and the village complex below. Nevertheless, the staff should have been more responsive to your request for a change. All of our rooms are similar in design, but they do provide different views. The staff should have moved you immediately into a room that was more to your liking.

Thank you!
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stop here on off chance, we was not disappointed, friendly valet, great check in, view over pool, small kitchenette, comfy bed, fireplace, etc. We then made way to bar, happy hour included half price drinks and food....lol. After a few rounds of beer, kobe beef sliders, fries, mac n cheese, we left satisfied that this hotel was the perfect choice, thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ezzavon
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you ezzavon! We all appreciate you giving us the opportunity to provide our Westin Mammoth Experience. I am a big fan of the Sliders as well! I hope we see you again the next trip you make to Mammoth. Thank you for your business and this great review.