“Great location. Some nice features.”

Westin Monache Resort Mammoth
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just across the street from the gondola up to Canyon Lodge, the Westin Monache provides great access to the ski hill. We had both apres ski and one dinner in White Bark restaurant. The food was excellent. There are also nice dining options in the Village at Mammoth center. Tried Campo and the Smokeyard BBQ and Chop Shop and enjoyed both very much. The heated outdoor swimming pool and jacuzzis were a treat for both my son and my skied-out legs. Our room had a very tidy little kitchenette with fantastic appliances including a toaster and blender. Will likely stay there again next April for our yearly spring skiing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keith E

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is tastefully decorated and a good place to stay in Mammoth. If skiing, it involves a bit of schlepping to get to the slopes - those 70 odd stairs to the village gondola are no joke in ski gear! We enjoyed our stay. The room (1 bedroom suite) was adequate, not luxurious but comfortable and had everything we needed. It had a slight musty smell but I think that was probably just our room (we didn't mention it to the staff, it wasn't that problematic). And the Westin beds are always nice. Whitebark is a really good restaurant. The breakfasts were delicious and generously portioned, even though I wish there was a buffet option as I prefer a breakfast buffet during ski trips because it is quicker. They are very dog friendly (we brought ours), which is a perk that we very much appreciate at hotels.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

THe hotel is lovely, but not our cup of tea. Our first day our room was not ready until 530 pm which was a bit of a downer, but they compensated with one free breakfast. We stayed in a hotel room, with queen and sleeper and a mini kitchenette. Location is great if you are going to Gondola-not so great coming back to the hotel , as it is 75 steps straight up to the hotel. You can leave your skis at the ski valet at the bottom of the gondola station, which helps, but no matter how you slice it, it is 75 stairs straight up to hotel-not great for kids or elderly. Having such limited space (and hooks and storage in room) to put things made it difficult. I prefer a condo or house with more room and more places to spread out. Given the choice of proximity to the Gondola or space, I would go with space. Bell service at the hotel was awesome..prompt, helpful and courteous. Restaurant was good with great service. It is a good hotel and we thought we would try it once, to see how we fared, but just not our idea of a mountain ski vacation.

Room Tip: I would recommend this for couples or singles -
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Nicely appointed rooms, beautiful views of the village, especially at night with lights...food was good at Whitebark, not fabulous, but good enough. Pricey room service $60 Rib Eye anyone? However there is good food right across the street and several options - Gomez (mex), Campo, Toomeys, Burgers Place --Easy walk to village---across the street. Manager on phone was not the friendliest but I guess it takes all kinds. Also housekeepers seem to not want to give the coffee packets out (2 cups of coffee/room is not enough for us) - All in all, we'll be back hopefully this summer for mountain-biking. And we'll be staying at the Westin.

Room Tip: We stayed in 732. The view was amazing of the village. If you can stay on that side, mo bettah. Prob...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days in March 2013. The hotel is lovely, a short walk from the village gondola, shops and restaurants. The staff were really friendly, hotel was very clean and really nicely done. Food in the restaurant was excellent, great for brunch, and the bar was a great place to spend a few hours Apres Ski. The hotel minibus provides free pick up/drop off at the Mammoth Airport and around town. The pool and jacuzzi area was lovely, especially after a hard day's skiing and the complementary robes and towels were an added bonus. We didn't use the gym but it had everything you would need. Yes it is a little pricey but you get what you pay for and we would definitely recommend it for a ski holiday. As for the dogs (see comments from other people) I am not really a dog person but we didn't see any obvious signs of 'dog mess' and there was no dog smell in the room or hotel and they were kept under control by their owners, so not an issue.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and the views were great.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Excellent location, Modern design, great little suites with balconies, beautiful views, good service, nice work out room, great restaurants. All it needs is a spa and it would be perfect. Best hotel in Mammoth Lakes by a wide margin. We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My family visits Mammoth each year during spring break and have stayed at the Westin since it opened because it is the #1 hotel in town. That's the sad part. Mammoth Lakes accomodations simply are not competitive with upscale ski destinations.

I arrive at the hotel around 5:15 on Sunday to find the line of cars flowing onto the street. There is one bellman helping to unload cars while one valet park the cars. I unload my own luggage the front desk tells me that my room won't be ready for another 30 minutes and they will call me when it's ready. They won't check my luggage because they "don't have enough space" to check luggage. So I load my luggage back into my car. After about 45 minutes in town with no phone call, I return to the hotel where they tell me that my room is ready. Why didn't I get the phone call they promised?

The room without a view is on the noisy main floor and the door won't open. A maintenance man is called and explains that I have to push down really hard on the handle for the door to open. Inside the room, the TV won't turn on and maintenance has to be called again. When I request a late check-out, my request is denied. On the morning of my last day, I notice a small card by my bed that says to place the card on my bed if I want my linen changed!

This Westin is more on the level of a Holiday Inn. The sad truth is that until another hotel opens with real customer service, the Westin will continue to provide mediocre service and will continue to be fully booked.

Room Tip: Arrive early or you won't have a choice at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family