“Good value, but certainly not #1”

The Stove Restaurant Country Cookin
Ranked #17 of 94 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

As I write this review, The Stove is currently ranked as the Number 1 restaurant in Mammoth Lakes. While The Stove is good, the food is nowhere as good as at Convict Lake or Lakefront Restaurant at Tamarack Lodge. On the other hand, The Stove is nowhere near as expensive as those places, so it certainly has high value.

We ate at The Stove a few days ago. We had a large party, and were told to be there before 6 PM if we didn't want to wait (it was a weekday, btw). So we arrived at 5:30 and were seated promptly. The staff was friendly and efficient. Our party tried several different dishes, including the pork chops, chicken pasta, fried chicken, seafood pasta, bacon avocado cheeseburger, liver and onions, and meatloaf. None of us would categorize our food as being anything other than average. It certainly wasn't up to any expectations I had of a Number One restaurant. The portions were generous, however, and I certainly could have skipped the salad, and I'm a pretty big eater.

So, don't hesitate to go, but you should go with appropriate expectations. The food is ok, and the prices give the place good value.

As for me, been there, done that. No reason to return anytime soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Returned here after many years and it was just as I had remembered. Good filling breakfast food in an old familiar setting. Great pancakes. We got there and had about a 20 minute wait--well worth it! Will return.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

After over 20 trips to Mammoth in the past 13 years, I finally decided to check this place out. My wife wanted some eggs for lunch and the Stove was close to our condo so we figured, why not? It has a nice homey feel the employees were pretty nice. Our server and the bus boys were very attentive and made sure our drinks were filled.

I had the patty melt which was juicy and gooey like it should be and my wife's eggs were cooked nicely. What really impressed us was the thick waffle we ordered on the side. It was the lightest waffle we've had in a long time. We'll definitely come back on our next trip to Mammoth in the fall.

1  Thank peterlc63
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

As usual, our last breakfast for this trip in Mammoth Lakes was at The Stove restaurant. The Stove never disappoints and satisfies every time. I have a long history with The Stove and have never had a bad experience at The Stove. Sometimes they are too crowded, but that tells you something about the food.

1  Thank JimmieZ
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a popular spot in the middle of town. The Stove has apparently been there for ages.

When we got there there was a bit of a wait before we were seated and our orders were taken, and the waiter gave us a complimentary carafe of house wine to compensate which was very generous. I ordered the meat loaf which was enough to feed a family of four, plus they give you delicious home-made muffins!

It is all very tasty in a folksy grandmotherly way.

1  Thank niemand