“Great Stay ...but don't check out 5 minutes late...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Haus Motel

Holiday Haus Motel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Ventura, California
“Great Stay ...but don't check out 5 minutes late...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I have stayed here a few times...and the front desk person has always been testy and a touch eccentric, but this time her eccentricity has exceeded to the point that rudeness is a mild word for her. Check out time is 11 a.m.....do not by any means make a mistake that it is noon...it started by my guy going off to go skiing and I stayed back to wait for him...at 10:15, the maid tried to gain entry to the room, without knocking...just using her key...I had it double bolted..so then she started pounding...I went to the door, and was asked if I was going to check out...I explained that yes, I was going to check out, but a little later. At 11:05 , she again pounded on the door...and I again explained that I would be checking out in a little while.. ( remember, I had thought checkout was noon)...I shut the door and not 5 minutes went by when another pounding...I opened the door and it's the front desk person...she pushes past me into the room...looks in the bath and all around and then turns on me and gets in may face and yells that checkout is 11...I apologize, and very taken aback I explained that I made a mistake and thought that checkout was at noon. She grabs the door and points at a little brown tag that has a number 11 in and says," It says it right here", and then again turns on me and says..."it's also on your paperwork if you had bothered to read it"...I offer to go down and wait for my guy in the lobby with our bags, but she doesn't want that either...so she glares at me and states..."I'll give you until noon...not one minute more...so you better call your better half and tell him...understand?" WOW....don't worry lady...we won't be back...ever and you can have that room all you want......

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank tGypsyMomma
, Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to report on your stay with us. We are sorry that your experience with us was so dismal. It is much better for us to know when we have acted inappropriately and to be given a chance to improve ourselves. This specific interaction has been dealt with and we have put a big effort into turning around our guest service skills. After overworking our staff we have recently added two new assistant managers and hope to be given another chance to prove our worth.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Lake Tahoe
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

I have to agree with the last review, overall, the Holiday Haus is a nice economy hotel. The rooms are each themed after a historic resort from the past (lots of old-time photos). Basic but clean. Be forewarned the place doesn't have much sound proofing, so ear plugs are a good idea if you are a light sleeper; upstairs rooms are larger and you won't hear footsteps on your head. Downstairs rooms have gas fireplaces. Upstairs rooms do not have heat thermostats on wall, just a knob at the base of the wall unit itself. The staff is a mixed bag... at times guardedly jovial, but they need to brush up on thier customer service skills - several guests complained of being asked to move their cars in an abrupt manner. Also, the guy behind the front desk needs to learn that the customer is more important than the solitare game on his computer. They don't have an ice machine in the public area, so you have to ask the front desk to fill the miniture ice bucket that is provided. Not a huge deal, but you usually have to ring the bell to summon someone... who may come off as preturbed by your request. The continental breakfast is limited, but ok; no fresh fruit. The small common room has a pool table which is pretty cool. A much better choice than Motel 6 for about the same price. Oh yeah, if you are skiing/snowboarding, don't be fooled that the Village is an "easy walk"; it's not fun in ski boots! Bring a boot bag and shlep in your street shoes if you are going to attempt the hike... and know that there are no proper sidewalks in this area.

Room Tip: Upstairs end unit, or free-standing cabin.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Holidayhaus M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing about your stay with us and we hope you'll come visit us again soon.
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Overall, the Holiday Haus is a nice economy hotel. The rooms have recently been updated and are clean, with nice flat-panel TVs and free wireless internet for guests. There is no underground or covered parking, so if you're heading up there over a stormy weekend, bring your shovel and ice-scraper. Some of the guys that worked there were nice enough to help dig me and my friends out with a snowblower after a major storm. There are no elevators, so if you have a room upstairs, you will be lugging your luggage up the steps. Again, the guys that worked there offered to help, which was nice. The continental breakfast is small, but has coffee, yogurt, bagels, muffins, and fruit. Overall a clean, decent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for sharing about your stay with us. Please come visit us again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The motel was refurbished over the summer and the rooms we stayed in were very nice. Comfortable beds, large bathrooms and smallish but adequate flat screen TV. A nice asthetic touch is the fireplace/heater if you don't mind it firing up in the middle of the night. Nice view of the forest out the back window. They also server a smallish but free breakfast. Jacuzzi is small but worked fine. Logistics are very good, within very easy walking distance to both the Village and the Village gondola. You can also walk down to Slocums and drink with the locals. There are two sets of adjoining rooms in the motel and some choices as to niceness of room for only a little more. You can get a little cheaper in Mammoth but not with this proximity to the Village and the gondola.

Room Tip: We stayed in connecting rooms 1 & 2 on the bottom floor. Very nice. Some noise from people on th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Walter M
Holidayhaus M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing a little bit about your stay with us! We're glad you got some use out of our great location. We love that our guests can mosey in minutes to Mammoth's funnest bars and restaurants. Please come visit us again soon!
Tehachapi, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

I booked this place for the holidays for my family..than I read the reviews, was very nervous. Have stayed in a lot of nice places..rented condos, cabins, vacation homes in mammoth, june lake, lake Tahoe, Big Bear. I am reluctant to give this place a good review.....because I don't want them to raise their prices. We absolutely love this place! Very affordable. They have totally upgraded their rooms and cabins. So roomy, comfortable, nicely decorated, clean, great location, well managed by Patty. She has such enthusiasm for this place and takes such pride in her job. We felt like we were at home here. We frequently visit this area to visit family and plan on making this our home base stay. Very nice. This is the best placed and best priced that we have ever stayed at. It is in comparison to our vacation home we use to own in Tahoe! Thank you Holiday Haus and Patti, the manager for providing us a wonderful Christmas gathering this year! We will definately see you in the spring!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TehRN
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Holiday Haus! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the upgraded rooms. Please come visit us again soon!