“Avoid Brown #9”

Convict Lake Resort
Laguna, California
“Avoid Brown #9”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This cabin is right by the laundry and showers. The service people go back & forth most of the day, noisey and fumey from their carts. In fairness, we made our reservations last minute and were warned it was in the heart of activity.
Still ,some of the more distant cabins appear to have potential for a peaceful stay close to nature. If you fish, this is your spot. If you don't, maybe not. Definitely not the place to be if you are in Mammoth to ski.
Also, we found the restaurant to be only average.
Still, the majesty of the high Sierras makes this a place to check out.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank garyeileenmiller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We did not get the cabin we reserved and we had based our reservation on the cabin floor plans shown on the website. Instead of a cabin with room to get into the bed on either side, we got a smaller & older cabin with the bed against the wall and a bench at the foot of it. Therefore, the only way out of bed was to crawl over the other person. If they needed to change our reservation, I would have appreciated a call so I could choose to stay in the substitute one or not.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NumberCruncher48
Mammoth Lakes, California
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Small, over priced, and not on the water ( nor any lake views). Couldn't find anyone to check me in when I got there. Cabins so small they do not have a sitting area...only on the beds which consume the entire living room. I had to sit sideways on the towlet otherwise my knees would hit the wall (5'2" - 115lbs). I was charged in full months ahead of time and then they decided to up the rate when I arrived. Resturant highly over priced. Camp in a tent and bring your own food when visiting Convict Lake.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dashingthruthesnow
San Francisco
Reviewed October 21, 2009

This summer my husband and I (and our dog) stayed at Convict Lake in July this year. I was not familiar with Convict Lake - I just discovered online and thought it looked like a beautiful getaway.

We stayed in the tiny Van Nuys cabin which I loved! It was very small (probably 250 sq. ft.), but had everything we needed, and the view of the mountains from our deck was awesome. We hiked all over the area, soaked up the sun from our deck, and watched spectacular stars at night. We celebrated my birthday at the restaurant which was a real treat - a 5 star restaurant in the midst of this tucked away resort. The staff was very friendly too. It was a great vacation; I even wrote an ariticle on the area at www.associatedcontent.com/article/2286999/affordable_year_round_vacation_gems.html We'll definitely return to Convict Lake and the Resort.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
usa
Reviewed June 26, 2009

we stayed there in a small cabin on a two night special they had recently this past spring. When getting there we were fairly unhappy with the accomodations. We got the one cabin with the deck facing away from the lake and in general the cabins I felt were not what was pictured on the website. We got a coupon credit for the nice restaurant there but when we went into it with our little girl we kinda felt like leppers when we pulled out the coupon. The waiter was rude and the service was terrible. The chef was very good and the food was good but incredibly overpriced. We would of never eaten there if not for the coupon. Overall I would not stay here again. The website tries to show it as a family, couples, place but really mostly it is an angler resort. If you are not big into fishing it is probably best to stop here for the day, do a hike, see the lake and leave. The lake is beautiful, and the hike around it is just amazing. We drove north and saw the ghost town and also June lake. Next time we will stay in june lake.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gup
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Mammoth Lakes for his birthday and sought accomodations that were comfortable yet somewhat roguish and the opposite of a commercialized 4 or 5 star resort experience. We had one of the newer cabins and it was perfect for just the two of us and our dog. We absolutely enjoyed our cabin (it had a steam shower and jetted tub) as well as the activities around the area such as fishing, hiking and horseback riding. Even the restaurant was more than fine. Another thing that we appreciated about Convict Lake Resort was that it seemed to be more oriented towards adults (nothing against children, but the peace and quiet was what we wanted and we got it). The customer service was very impressive and the views around our cabin was just breathless. And what the others have said about the deers is true -- one even poked around our cabin in the middle of the night! In sum, if you are looking for a mountain experience that's a little more authentic and away from town yet with all the majestic splendor that Mammoth has to offer, then this is the place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We love Convict Lake and the setting is spectacular, but I'm not sure we would book here again. We have stayed in the older cabins twice and the newer cabins twice, however, the past two years now (in the newer cabins), we have encountered mice. They come up through the floor vents at night and even when we have closed the vents, they are able to get in. I am extremely sqeemish about rodents, and while, I guess you must expect a certain amount of "country critters" in this setting, I refuse to pay so much money for this type of stress. With all that said, the newer cabins are beautiful and very comfortable, but until they get this mice problem taken care of, we will book elsewhere.
We sent Dennis an e-mail after our last trip regarding the rodent issue, but never heard back from him....

Stayed June 2007