“Don't stay here!”

Convict Lake Resort
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

Small, over priced, and not on the water ( nor any lake views). Couldn't find anyone to check me in when I got there. Cabins so small they do not have a sitting area...only on the beds which consume the entire living room. I had to sit sideways on the towlet otherwise my knees would hit the wall (5'2" - 115lbs). I was charged in full months ahead of time and then they decided to up the rate when I arrived. Resturant highly over priced. Camp in a tent and bring your own food when visiting Convict Lake.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank dashingthruthesnow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

This summer my husband and I (and our dog) stayed at Convict Lake in July this year. I was not familiar with Convict Lake - I just discovered online and thought it looked like a beautiful getaway.

We stayed in the tiny Van Nuys cabin which I loved! It was very small (probably 250 sq. ft.), but had everything we needed, and the view of the mountains from our deck was awesome. We hiked all over the area, soaked up the sun from our deck, and watched spectacular stars at night. We celebrated my birthday at the restaurant which was a real treat - a 5 star restaurant in the midst of this tucked away resort. The staff was very friendly too. It was a great vacation; I even wrote an ariticle on the area at www.associatedcontent.com/article/2286999/affordable_year_round_vacation_gems.html We'll definitely return to Convict Lake and the Resort.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

we stayed there in a small cabin on a two night special they had recently this past spring. When getting there we were fairly unhappy with the accomodations. We got the one cabin with the deck facing away from the lake and in general the cabins I felt were not what was pictured on the website. We got a coupon credit for the nice restaurant there but when we went into it with our little girl we kinda felt like leppers when we pulled out the coupon. The waiter was rude and the service was terrible. The chef was very good and the food was good but incredibly overpriced. We would of never eaten there if not for the coupon. Overall I would not stay here again. The website tries to show it as a family, couples, place but really mostly it is an angler resort. If you are not big into fishing it is probably best to stop here for the day, do a hike, see the lake and leave. The lake is beautiful, and the hike around it is just amazing. We drove north and saw the ghost town and also June lake. Next time we will stay in june lake.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank gup
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Mammoth Lakes for his birthday and sought accomodations that were comfortable yet somewhat roguish and the opposite of a commercialized 4 or 5 star resort experience. We had one of the newer cabins and it was perfect for just the two of us and our dog. We absolutely enjoyed our cabin (it had a steam shower and jetted tub) as well as the activities around the area such as fishing, hiking and horseback riding. Even the restaurant was more than fine. Another thing that we appreciated about Convict Lake Resort was that it seemed to be more oriented towards adults (nothing against children, but the peace and quiet was what we wanted and we got it). The customer service was very impressive and the views around our cabin was just breathless. And what the others have said about the deers is true -- one even poked around our cabin in the middle of the night! In sum, if you are looking for a mountain experience that's a little more authentic and away from town yet with all the majestic splendor that Mammoth has to offer, then this is the place.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

We love Convict Lake and the setting is spectacular, but I'm not sure we would book here again. We have stayed in the older cabins twice and the newer cabins twice, however, the past two years now (in the newer cabins), we have encountered mice. They come up through the floor vents at night and even when we have closed the vents, they are able to get in. I am extremely sqeemish about rodents, and while, I guess you must expect a certain amount of "country critters" in this setting, I refuse to pay so much money for this type of stress. With all that said, the newer cabins are beautiful and very comfortable, but until they get this mice problem taken care of, we will book elsewhere.
We sent Dennis an e-mail after our last trip regarding the rodent issue, but never heard back from him....

Stayed June 2007
6 Thank Frances235
Loma Linda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

My self, my Wife and our two children ages 7 & 11 stayed at convict November 13 & 14th. We have stayed at the campground which is located maybe a mile away, several times in the summer months. This is the first time we stayed in a cabin because the campground was closed for the season. The cabin was, well a cabin. simple and everything worked. It was clean. If you go to stay in your cabin most of the time I suggest you go elsewhere. If you want to Fish, Hike, Explore the area, go sight seeing, Just breath clean air, then I highly suggest this Jewel of a place. The Staff is very down to earth and highly cater to your every need. The staff understands the customer is King. If you treat them right they will treat you better. Mammoth is only 10 minutes away on the highway. Nearby 5 to 10 minutes away is a fish hatchery, that is just great for the kids to see. In that same area is a hot creek kids love that place. Did I mention that dear frequent the campground. Weather was very cold at night yet the day was in the high 70's. Weather in the Sierras can change suddenly, if planning a trip go to weather.com and look up the history and plan accordingly. If you have a Trailer or RV almost all sites are not level. I would not recommend nothing longer than 40 feet. Also dry camping only. Dump station and water within the campground. The Host are always great people, very caring and helping. Have a great time life is short live it well......

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — nothing everything was great!!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank 2by2wetravel
Madera, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

We stayed at CLR the end of May thru the 1st of June. The weather changed quickly, which you'd expect this high in the Sierras. We had one afternoon and an evening filled with the fluffy white stuff falling from the beautifully clear skies! It was a real treat! We stayed in the Eastern Brook cabin and with 2 dogs, it was a bit cramped. We found someones tennis shoe underneath one of the beds. I hope the person that left it behind didn't really need it! The people that run the resort are excellent! The cleaning crew(s) they have leave much to be desired. Our cabin looked like it could have used a thorough cleaning. The fishing and scenery were awesome, and anyone thinking about staying here needs to give it a try! If you haven't seen the Nature Valley Granola Bar commercial featuring Convict Lake, then you need to go to [--] and watch it. The lake is awesome, and the fishing is what its all about! My wife and I really enjoyed our Convict Lake experience!

• Liked — Clean Air, Clear Water, Great Hosts
  • Disliked — Room Cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple