“Nice place”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
A TripAdvisor Member
Etiwanda, CA
Reviewed February 21, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed overnight in a room with a comfortable king size bed. The staff (primarily Heather) was excellent! All of the staff was very accomodating and informative. The room (while small) was quite comfortable and clean. The bathroom was a nice size and we had plenty of hot water. The noise level was better than most hotels we have been. If you are expecting the Bellagio, you will be disappointed, however, we found the atmosphere and decor to be comparable to many of the condos and lodges in Mammoth. The hotel is located very near the red line bus stop and transportation was easy and convenient. Overall, our stay was very nice and I would not hestitate in staying there in the future.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Mammoth Creek Inn

Reviewed January 14, 2006

i'm very conflicted when i write this review. Let me note that I generally travel just to write tripadvisor reviews.. haha ok thats only partly true.

So here we go:

I booked the room online for $150 for the night off their website. Like other reviewers have said, the website does mislead-- at least in my experience with the "loge room". Loge? what is a loge? I've only heard that term when buying tickets for sporting events. Anyhow...

The night before staying here I stayed at the Motel 6 in Mammoth.. which was, well a motel 6 and depressing in the way that motel 6's are always depressing. You can almost see yourself in a crime scene photo in one of those rooms.. ok so let us all say it together "no more motel 6".

So we arrive and the woman was really helpful in checking me in. I actually wanted to go snowboarding first and was just asking directions and she pretty much forced me to take the keys to my room which was nice.

So i went boarding and then came back to the room and when we opened the door we were a little suprised at how smalll the room was. The bathroom was very large however, spanning the length of the room. My room number was 91. My travel partner was aghast, and I agreed that given the price of the room it was very small and nothing amazing. I think a fair price would be $100 per night. Again this is coming from someone who paid 65 at motel 6 and has never been to mammoth before.

Also, on their website it seems as if this is a Tablet Hotel type place and of course it isnt.. but what bothers me about this is they make it seem like their "famous" gift baskets come with the room. They dont. Wow what a suprise. I really thought maybe they did. Anyone who's stayed in a decent hotel knows the bar/baskets cost extra and that extra is a lot.

A sidenote:

One time a friend and i rented a room at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. We decided after several drinks that we would make use of everything in the refrigerator to see what the charge was. We wore the robes and filled them full of small bottles of Moet and Johnny Walker and Kodak disposable cameras and everything else.. when we checked out the total charge was $1500.

Mammoth Creek is not innovating anything with their "famous gift baskets".

After all this, I must say the beds at the MCI were heavenly. I slept til 1pm and only wanted to sleep til 9. The heater gets hot fast and you cant smoke in the rooms, but sheesh, who cares when youre sore and tired and the beds are that good.

Also, the hot tub and sauna are uncrowded and located downstairs indoors..

Other than that, if Mammoth is full and you'd rather kick up the extra Benjy rather than stay at some crappy motel stay here... otherwise look for a better place and when you find it tell me..

Andy Fox

6  Thank AndyFox1979
Reviewed January 10, 2006

The website was done well but the place is a dive. (Don't believe the website as the hotel is entirely different than portrayed.) The water in the shower was either scalding hot or cold. Hollow core doors are you only protection from the hallway. Is that even to code? Geeze... Dirty, old, unique staff (in the uncomfortable way) I could go on for days.... Stay somewhere else.

5  Thank gfinley
Reviewed January 10, 2006

How on earth this hotel recieved a four star rating is beyond me. We stayed at this hotel with a few friends last weekend, 2 other couples to be exact. There are a total of 30 rooms at the inn and we occupied 3 of the rooms (10% of the hotel), so I think we have a good idea of the room types and hotel in general.

The walls are paper thin, the shower constantly runs from hot to cold, the floor and tile are musty, and the breakfast buffet is less than stellar.

This may be the worst place we've stayed for the money we paid. I would recommend to pay an extra $20 a night and stay at the mammoth lodge at the resort. You'll get a much nicer room and will be a few steps from the slopes, instead of a 50 minute, sardine packed bus ride to the slopes from the Creek Inn.

I was asleep when we pulled in to the Creek Inn and when I woke up and my husband woke me up I thought he was joking. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

6  Thank gisellefinley
Reviewed January 8, 2006

The walls are paper-thin and the bathrooms are old. The hot water ran out while I was showering. We woke up to our neighbors alarm among other noises. The bus ride to the Main Lodge took 40 minutes each way. For the same amount of money, we could have stayed closer to the Main Lodge or The Village. The Euro Style breakfast needs improvement.

6  Thank kureyn
A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento
Reviewed December 10, 2005

We enjoyed the spacious room, the cleanliness, the kind staff, and location but thought their "hot tub" was horrendous. It smelled bad, was EXTREMELY noisy, and only was open at night. Overall, we would definitely go back!

Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 19, 2005

Helpful staff, Clean, pleasent rooms, plenty of parking, Restaurants nearby, Really,really needs an elevator. If you are over 65, stay on the first floor.

• Stayed: October 2005