“Meh”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We were advised by a local friend to got to Sushi Rei across town, but they were closed.

We went to Shogun on a Monday night with a party of nine. The bar area was busy but not crazy. We sat in the ding area which looked to be 60% full. Our Server although very nice, wasn't knowledgable on the menu. Getting a diet coke took forever, finally got one on the third request. The cooked food came out light years before the sushi and we were delivered the sushi for another table. I ordered another roll halfway through the meal which was delivered a decade later.

The rolls seemed very reasonably priced...because they were roughly half the size of what I am accustomed to being served. The check included a 20% grat which I can understand for a party of our size, but certainly wasn't earned.

The sushi was mediocre at best.

The manager, maybe?, asked how everything was. I said "Just OK". She wasn't interested in any more information or in attempting to make our evening anything better than just OK.

We won't be going back.

1  Thank sickmove

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The food was great and the service is very good. I have been here a couple of times and it's always great.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We tried this place out for 1st time in past 10 yrs going here. The ski rental guy downstairs from the restaurant recommended it. Food came quickly. Teriyaki chicken and yakitpri chicken dinners were delicious. Jalapeño boat and Robbie roll were fresh and just spicey enough. All fish farm grown and fresh. Nice place. Original sushi place in Mammoth area.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

How do I put this nicely? This was the worst sushi we have ever had. Costco is better. Hostess was kinda rude. We moved to the bar. 1 person serving 20. He was more interested in the locals. He didn't feel like telling us about the alcohol. We ordered 3 rolls, bland all looked the same tasted the same. They weren't rolled tight and the had NO sauce (I asked). Shi shi to peppers they were BLAND not even salted. Disappointment the hostess @ mammoth creek inn recommended it.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me first say that we have been visiting the Mammoth Lakes area for our family summer vacations soaking up the outdoors, local activities and fishing the many beautiful lakes for over 30 years . For most of these trips - the night cap was to visit the Shogun Restaurant on the last day for our final dinner to celebrate another wonderful trip. In the past I would have recommended this establishment in a heart beat - today I would have some reservations. On our last visit - the food was okay. Portions are good size - even the kids plates offer a lot of food for say a 5-9 year old. Our Miso soup was very thin with not much taste, but the Tempura was good and the Beef Teriyaki was okay (they use top sirloin). Chicken Udon was good (a good surprise to see since usually only served in winter season) and so were the Chicken Wings. The Sushi was hit or miss. Some were a bit flat in taste. One of the items that I looked forward to - is their spicy tsukemono which on this occasion our waiter regretfully informed us they had been out of for the past two weeks (how does that happen). I was totally disappointed. "Next time", he said. We'll see. I would make reservations on weekends, weekdays you can call and check ahead. Plenty of parking and shopping areas across the street. Nice table views of the local area and the Sierra's from the booths along the window. Waiter service was just okay - he forgot our special appetizer so we canceled it off our bill. Established in 1984 - great when they opened but now they may be struggling a bit with the tough times and the economy.