“Fresh food in mammoth”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We tried this place out for 1st time in past 10 yrs going here. The ski rental guy downstairs from the restaurant recommended it. Food came quickly. Teriyaki chicken and yakitpri chicken dinners were delicious. Jalapeño boat and Robbie roll were fresh and just spicey enough. All fish farm grown and fresh. Nice place. Original sushi place in Mammoth area.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

How do I put this nicely? This was the worst sushi we have ever had. Costco is better. Hostess was kinda rude. We moved to the bar. 1 person serving 20. He was more interested in the locals. He didn't feel like telling us about the alcohol. We ordered 3 rolls, bland all looked the same tasted the same. They weren't rolled tight and the had NO sauce (I asked). Shi shi to peppers they were BLAND not even salted. Disappointment the hostess @ mammoth creek inn recommended it.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me first say that we have been visiting the Mammoth Lakes area for our family summer vacations soaking up the outdoors, local activities and fishing the many beautiful lakes for over 30 years . For most of these trips - the night cap was to visit the Shogun Restaurant on the last day for our final dinner to celebrate another wonderful trip. In the past I would have recommended this establishment in a heart beat - today I would have some reservations. On our last visit - the food was okay. Portions are good size - even the kids plates offer a lot of food for say a 5-9 year old. Our Miso soup was very thin with not much taste, but the Tempura was good and the Beef Teriyaki was okay (they use top sirloin). Chicken Udon was good (a good surprise to see since usually only served in winter season) and so were the Chicken Wings. The Sushi was hit or miss. Some were a bit flat in taste. One of the items that I looked forward to - is their spicy tsukemono which on this occasion our waiter regretfully informed us they had been out of for the past two weeks (how does that happen). I was totally disappointed. "Next time", he said. We'll see. I would make reservations on weekends, weekdays you can call and check ahead. Plenty of parking and shopping areas across the street. Nice table views of the local area and the Sierra's from the booths along the window. Waiter service was just okay - he forgot our special appetizer so we canceled it off our bill. Established in 1984 - great when they opened but now they may be struggling a bit with the tough times and the economy.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I always visit this restaurant when I go to Mammoth.

The sushi has always been pretty good and they also have some tasty appetizers.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My son and I ate there this past weekend 7-2013. We had a very unfriendly waitress, she appeared to be half Asian. She was not very attentive and we had to ask for just about everything. We ordered the chicken teriyaki / shrimp tempura combination, it was very pricey at $18 but we anticipated that because of the location. What we did not expect was the poor quality of food, the chicken teriyaki was dry and the shrimp tempura was more like fried shrimp. To top it off the waitress tried to short change us by $5. When I told her she short changed us she seem to know exactly how much she was short. Needless to say I will not be going back there, I'll just have to wait until I get back into LA to get some real Japanese food!