“Sticking To Our Traditions - For Now”
Review of Shogun - CLOSED

Shogun
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me first say that we have been visiting the Mammoth Lakes area for our family summer vacations soaking up the outdoors, local activities and fishing the many beautiful lakes for over 30 years . For most of these trips - the night cap was to visit the Shogun Restaurant on the last day for our final dinner to celebrate another wonderful trip. In the past I would have recommended this establishment in a heart beat - today I would have some reservations. On our last visit - the food was okay. Portions are good size - even the kids plates offer a lot of food for say a 5-9 year old. Our Miso soup was very thin with not much taste, but the Tempura was good and the Beef Teriyaki was okay (they use top sirloin). Chicken Udon was good (a good surprise to see since usually only served in winter season) and so were the Chicken Wings. The Sushi was hit or miss. Some were a bit flat in taste. One of the items that I looked forward to - is their spicy tsukemono which on this occasion our waiter regretfully informed us they had been out of for the past two weeks (how does that happen). I was totally disappointed. "Next time", he said. We'll see. I would make reservations on weekends, weekdays you can call and check ahead. Plenty of parking and shopping areas across the street. Nice table views of the local area and the Sierra's from the booths along the window. Waiter service was just okay - he forgot our special appetizer so we canceled it off our bill. Established in 1984 - great when they opened but now they may be struggling a bit with the tough times and the economy.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I always visit this restaurant when I go to Mammoth.

The sushi has always been pretty good and they also have some tasty appetizers.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My son and I ate there this past weekend 7-2013. We had a very unfriendly waitress, she appeared to be half Asian. She was not very attentive and we had to ask for just about everything. We ordered the chicken teriyaki / shrimp tempura combination, it was very pricey at $18 but we anticipated that because of the location. What we did not expect was the poor quality of food, the chicken teriyaki was dry and the shrimp tempura was more like fried shrimp. To top it off the waitress tried to short change us by $5. When I told her she short changed us she seem to know exactly how much she was short. Needless to say I will not be going back there, I'll just have to wait until I get back into LA to get some real Japanese food!

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Sashimi and rolls were so marginal, I was concerned I might not feel well later. I survived-but I would not return or recommend.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

First, we were disappointed when we realized that this Shogun location did NOT have the grills set up in the middle of the tables where the chefs cook for you, like our Shogun's in San Diego has. We were there to celebrate a birthday and mentioned it to the hostess. Our sushi roll was the best part of the meal, albeit very small in size. We ordered the chicken teriyaki and it was so dry we had to return it to the kitchen. The calamari was a bit on the greasy side, and the sirloin skewers were tuff and absolutely tasteless. The server tried her best to provide good service, but was definitely not able to keep to all the tables she had. We had to remind her of the birthday and she was nice enough to bring a scoop of ice cream to the bday girl. After a long day of skiing, we were really looking forward to a nice meal at Shogun. The quality was lacking and it was a real disappointment.