“My 7th trip!”
Review of Crystal Crag Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mammoth Lakes
Crystal Crag Lodge
Reviewed February 23, 2009

DON'T MISS THIS EXPERIENCE!
I just booked my 7th trip to Crystal Crag Lodge and I have been thrilled with everything the last 6 visits (except for the one time I didn't catch a big fish) and don't expect anything different this summer. The staff(which has been the same for the last 4 years) has been great and very accomodating. I am bringing my parents and grand parents this time so we got the biggest cabin. My family is so excited and , of course, SO IS THE DOG!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank HikinBikinFisherman
There are newer reviews for Crystal Crag Lodge

Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I usually stay at the Convict Lake Cabins, but this time, we thought we would try something different. We had 2 friends from England with us, so off we went to Mammoth.

We stayed in the Virginia cabin, and for $345.00 a night, you would think that the cabin would be in a lot better shape. To me it was a perfect fisherman's cabin. The curtains were so bad & broken, you could not even shut then all the way. There was so much mold in the bathrooms, and some of the tile in the bigger bathroom was off, and just set up on the ledge with mold all over it. So disgusting and unhealthy

The view was beautiful of the lake - but I would never stay there again, because of the price, and what you get (cabin wise) for the money.

It you want a great place to stay - stay at the Convict Lake cabins - they are beautiful & clean!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LovesOutdoors
CCLmgmt, Owner at Crystal Crag Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2009

The curtains in the Virginia cabin are currently being replaced, and the tile has already been repaired. Virginia is one of our most popular cabins. It has a truly awesome view of the lake. We recommend you try it. We think you will love it!

Reviewed October 1, 2008

We've been going to the Eastern Sierras for years and decided to try Crystal Crag this time as we now have a dog. Also this was our first time staying in Mammoth.

We made our reservations about 2 months ago, and then 4 weeks ago our dog injured himself and we thought he would require surgery so I called to cancel the reservation. I guess I didn't read the cancellation policy as carefully as I had thought so I was shocked to learn they will not refund ANY of your money unless they can re-book the room.

OK. So, 2 weeks and several vet visits later Pup was doing much better and our regular vet said we should take the trip, just take it easy with Dog, though swimming would be good for him. So I called back CC Resort figuring we could still go as it had been 2 weeks and I hadn't heard from them so our cabin must still be free. Well, without missing a beat the woman told me she had in fact rented out our cabin, so we ended up in another larger cabin for which we paid an additional $50/night. I found this extremely suspicious -- are they double-dipping? In the end we never said anything, we decided it wasn't worth it.

So, we stayed in Roost II, which is 2 bedrooms 1 bath with an apartment above.

Good things: Pretty clean, fair amount of room, gravel terrace facing the woods with a Weber and a stone fire pit. They give you lots of good dry wood.

Bad things: Lumpy small bed, space heaters even though there is a propane wall unit, kitchen equipment is pretty dubious; towels are a joke (went to get a "messy towel" for our dog to go in the lake and what she gave me was 10X nicer than the rags on the towel racks in the cabin).

Also Roost is at the edge of the resort and on the other side of the building is the storage / junk yard where some carpenters were camping out in RVs and there was construction going on that started every morning at 8:30 (even Sunday). I suppose this is OK if you're an early riser but I guess I should mention this was sort of a trip to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary so we were just into hanging out. Also there were people staying in the unit above us so we got to hear lots of overhear noise. Sounded like their kitchen was over our bedroom.

Regarding the staff, our 2 encounters with them, checking in and checking out were lackluster. No one asked us anything, not even if we enjoyed our stay or how we liked the cabin. Apparently they don't really care.

Lake Mary is spectacular as are all the little lakes in the immediate area; lots of opportunities for biking, walking, hiking, fishing, dog swimming, etc. We personally do not like Mammoth that much (too built up) so being away from town is great.

If you're going to Crystal Crag, be careful of the cancellation policy. If you're picky about linens or cooking equipment, bring your own. I definitely recommend a grill brush if you intend to grill (we had to go back into town to buy one as the grill was disgusting). Bring your own games; when we went to find something to play there wasn't much left.

Overall I think this place is fine for fishermen (and there were lots of those) and that's about it. Maybe if you had a smaller cabin closer to the lake (like the one I had originally rented) it would be OK and better for couples.

Overall I don't feel Roost II is worth the $175/night they charge, and in the end we felt soured on the whole place.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Leelu9

We would like to respond to this guest about his list of dissatisfactions. First, our cancellation policy is very clear, and most of our guests really appreciate it! We will refund 100% of funds received through re-rental of canceled cabins. We usually are able to re-rent because our cabins are so popular, so most people get all of their money back after canceling, assuming we get any notice. This way of doing things is important to our business because we are only open a scant 4 months a year, and we need to be virtually 100% occupied to cover our costs in those 4 months a year. As we said, we almost always find a second renter, so that the original guest is made whole. It must have been a mix up in this case that the guest was not notified immediately of the re-rental. We absolutely do not try to make double on anything. In fact, our cancellation policy is quite the opposite of that, unlike a lot of major hotels that do make double on cancellations. Indeed, we could make more money by refunding only a portion of funds (as many places do) and then re-renting the cabin to someone else, but we choose to forgo that in order to give most of our guests a complete refund. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished!

Like all of our cabins, the Roost has brand new beds that are not lumpy, so we are unclear on this one. As for the Roost itself, it is one of a kind for us in that it is a two story, two unit cabin. All the rest of our cabins are free-standing. If you do not want the Roost because it is not free-standing, please make sure not to book it. We endeavor to always explain the layout of this cabin in advance to avoid this issue.

Our staff receives incredible levels of compliments. Please read some of the positive reviews here, of which there are many. Since 2005, Tom and Pam have been running Crystal Crag Lodge. They have since been joined by Jim and Jyll, and Jim and Char. All of them have gotten rave reviews for being so very helpful and so friendly! We are quite frankly shocked by this criticism!

We plead guilty to having small bath towels. There are two reasons for this. First, we are making an effort to reduce electricity, gas, water use, and sewage production (plush towels double all of these wastes). Second, our guests generally hang their towels to dry on their towel racks after use, and with the dry air up here, smaller towels dry incredibly quickly. Plush towels do not dry easily, so they remain wet much longer. Most of our guests support our efforts in this area, and those that don’t can certainly trade in their smaller towels at the Lodge for plusher ones. Please just ask us. Thanks!

Grill brushes have a way of disappearing (frequently). We regret that this happened in this case. We simply ask that you ask us for a new brush if you need one. It is that simple!

We hope you will read some of the many positive reviews of Crystal Crag Lodge on this site. We are not for everyone, but there is plenty of magic happening here, and it is getting better all the time. If it sounds like your kind of place when you read a variety of reviews, well come and see us! And if you find something you don't like here, please tell us while you are here, so we can do something about it! Please don't go home unhappy and post about it without giving us a chance to please you!

Thanks.
Crystal Crag Lodge

Reviewed September 10, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights & wished we could have stayed longer. The staff was extremely helpful & friendly. I'm so glad we opted to stay on Lake Mary verses staying in an ordinary hotel in town. The cabins are rustic, but I think that adds to the charm of Crystal Crag Lodge. It reminded me of childhood vacations back East. The whole purpose of the trip was for our dog to have a vacation, but I tell ya what we've now started a new Labor Day tradition. I can't wait to go back, & next time we're gonna bring family & friends with us. Excellent place for a family reunion and/or group vacation!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crybaby01
Reviewed August 28, 2008

This is a great place for families to vacation where you have stupendous scenic beauty, a great variety of hikes available, excellent fishing, and wonderful photographic opportunities. At Crystal Crag Lodge, you'll find a staff who wants you to have a wonderful stay. They throw a Sunday afternoon party for all visitors to meet each other. Upon leaving, they give you a form to fill out to describe any issues you'd like improved for your next visit. The best part is that you are only yards from Lake Mary where there is plenty of fishing and boating, yet you are also only 4 miles from the town of Mammoth Lakes where you'll find all the conveniences. A must-see is the MountainLight Galleries in Bishop (45 minutes south) which is the photo gallery of Galen Rowell, world famous photographer. Also, the hike from Mosquito Flats above Tom's Place is wonderful and easy. It takes you through 7 lakes into the high eastern Sierras.

Crystal Crag Lodge is a dog-friendly place. Don't stay there if you are allergic to dogs. The dogs will thank you for a wonderful romp through the forrest and swim in the many lakes.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nazbuster
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We have seen Crystal Crag before but never stayed so we made this year be our first. The staff was incredible. If we needed anything or had any questions, they were there for us. The cabin was very clean and had everything we needed. Nestled in the trees around Lake Mary, the setting is second to none. With the mountain bike park, the village, the town, 2 golf courses, numerous trails for hiking and plenty of fishing, take your pick on what to do each day.
It was extremely hard to leave but we will be back for sure.

Thanks Crystal Crag!!!!!!!

Adam

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Like many, we chose Crystal Crag for our dog, but we fell in love with the Horseshoe cabin immediately and have returned every fall for several years. The owners and staff and other guests are always friendly and helpful. We come up for the magnificant fall colors but did not mind spending a relaxing day (scrabble! fireplace! good books!) in our comfortable cabin overlooking the lake when a powerful early winter storm kept us off the trails for a day.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple