“Wilderness!”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wilderness!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the best pack station I have ever been to and that includes about 37 of them. Before Jennifer and Lee, it was run by Jennifer's parents. They have the experience, great staff and wonderful stock (both mules and horses). That does not even count the scenery, hiking, fishing and other activities. Our family has always packed in to a lake but they also offer many other options. Work has moved us to the east coast but this is still our dream vacation!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank BES09

Corona, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Horseback Ride and Camp in the High Sierras”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

For 44 years I've spent part of my summers wandering the high Sierras. Hiking, fishing, camping in these mountains is among the best on Earth. For the last 20 or so years, my packer of choice has been McGee Creek Pack Station. Run by Jennifer Roeser since 1978, on our last trip with her she was wearing a belt buckle the size of a salad plate. It read, "Most Honored Packer - Bishop Mule Days". So it's not just my opinion that she and her operation are something special. McGee Creek canyon trail itself is filled with wildflowers and worth a short day ride early in the season. Later, it gets drier and I would recommend a longer day ride up to at least the little lake built by beavers. If you have more time, McGee Creek offers access to the John Muir wilderness and Steelhead, Genevieve, Big McGee, Hilton, and Davis lakes are all excellent destinations. Red's Meadows Pack Station and the Minarets offer perhaps the best scenery in the Sierras, but the service just doesn't compete with McGee. I would recommend this outfit to anyone who wants an authentic western wilderness experience. One warning, the Eastern Sierras are steep and the elevation gets high fast. Many destinations are above 10,000 feet. It pays to be healthy, not drink too much the day before, and to spend at least one night in Mammoth getting acclimatized before going in.

Visited August 2013