“5 Star Prices, 1 Star Service”

Mountainside Bar & Grill
Ranked #53 of 90 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
South Lake Tahoe, California
“5 Star Prices, 1 Star Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were staying at the Mammoth Mountain Inn where we had stayed in Nov/13. In Nov. I took my son & his friends to the Mountainside Grill, where we got burgers that were super-deluxe, but over-priced. It was late, & hardly anyone was there, but the service was good. The chef, a lady, even came out and checked on us to make sure we were satisfied with the quality. She was very nice, & we were satisfied. When we came back on 2/23/14 Feb, the situation was similar. We were staying at the Inn, it was late, & hardly anyone was there. The waiter/host was inattentive, didn't greet us or even look up from his computer, & made us wait, even though hardly anyone was there. When we were seated, I tried to order a draft beer. He told me the taps were all down, & had been all week because the system was being remodeled. When I looked over at the bar, it was busy. Who does a remodel on the bar at the flagship restaurant of the major hotel of a world famous ski resort, on a weekend, in peak season? I had to order a bottle of Mammoth Brewing beer, which I was informed may be out. He appeared with what he said was the last one. It was warm, as was the pint glass it came with, and it cost $6. I ordered crab cakes for an appetizer, which were good, but there were only 2 of them, & they were tiny. There were 4 of us. They were also $18. I expected more than 2 tiny cakes for $18. I also ordered the caesar salad, which came drowned and soggy with yucky dressing, a million too many capers, & 5 lbs. of over-salty parmesan cheese. I could barely eat any of it. It was $14. The cup of onion soup was drowned in cheese, and cost $8. We were supposed to get %10 off for being hotel guests, but the lazy guy didn't give it to us. They even charged us an extra "resort tax", on top of the regular, unusual sales tax. To top it all off, when we left, I asked if I could get a bone for our dog, who was also staying at the Inn. He made up a bunch of excuses why we couldn't get one. The bill for the whole meal for the 4 of us was $130! I wish we had gone to McDonald's. At least I could have eaten the salad. I'm never eating there again.

• Visited February 2014

Reno, Nevada
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

we are staying at the mammoth mtn inn and feeling lazy and didn't feel like venturing out of the hotel after a long day of awesome skiing. perusing the menu online and wasn't impressed, but went out to the lobby and found the newer menu which was much expanded, so we decided to give it a try, again purely out of laziness - and had a great meal! I had a grapefruit gimlet and hubby had a buffalo bourbon thing, both very good. we shared a Caesar salad, standard, but I had a REALLY yummy squash ravioli with sage and coconut - sounds weird but I give it a 10/10! Came with 2 sides, both good. Hubby had the burger which was grassfed/organic and very good as burgers go. glad we were feeling lazy tonight! the ambiance is typical ski lodge decor and the staff were young and fun and very friendly.

Visited February 2014
Corona, California
“Better New Menu, but still needs lovin!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Mammoth Mountain Inn many, many times and I really cannot understand why this restaurant cannot be a better place to eat. In the past 4 times I have been there, I have had really salty food and a steak that was full of fat and gristle.

Specifically, I will speak about the two recent times I have been there in February 2014.

The first was for the "Lincoln" holiday weekend. The MMI was packed with a group of people, plus others because of the fresh snow. It was also a blizzard, so who wanted to go out and brave the drive to town. So, we ate "dinner" in the Mountainside Grill, and they were only serving the "bar" menu and not a dinner menu. For the number of people that were staying at the MMI, the restaurant was dead. We had sliders. One GAC (cheese not melted), Club (ok, but bacon was pretty cold) and chili size (tasted ok). A salad, which was pretty good (the one in the photo -- I can say that most of the salads that we have had there have been pretty good), wine and bread, and fried zucchini. The zucchini was pretty raw, and it really needed a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and hot (not spicy but temperature) marinara dipping sauce. Plus, I had the chocolate lava cake. It was enough to fill you up, but I really wanted to have a steak. The service was good for us, but for the other 10 tables around us, it did not appear that they were getting equally consistent service.

On the second weekend (presidents' weekend), the MMI was fully packed with people, so the Mountainside Grill should have been working hard to gain their business. They rolled out a new menu for this weekend (on Friday), and we had dinner on Sunday. You would not have noticed that they rolled out the new menu because it was not advertised, nor was a copy left in your room. There were 5 of us, and when we arrived, there were just a few tables that were occupied, and when we were ready to order, there was a large table that was seated, of about 20. I am pleased to say that overall, including us and that large party and the surrounding tables, the service seemed to be improved and attentive.

The restaurant is sort of a cross between wanting to be a nice dinner house and a diner. They should really pick which way they want to go, and then train their waitstaff and cooks to either be a nice dinner house (but not a fine one with froo froo food and caviar and foie gras -- because that is not their clientele) or a diner.

Now, back to the new menu. The first service was on Friday, and we had it on Sunday. They had 2 steaks on the menu, a bistro filet and a top sirloin, and they were already out of the filet. I really do not understand how you start with a new menu, and run out of what is likely to be the most popular steak on the menu. I ordered the top sirloin, and I am pleased to say that it was flavorful, cooked to perfection (rare -- I like it to moo when you stab it) and it was not tough. Top sirloin, though a flavorful cut, can be tough. My husband cannot eat it, but he liked this one.
The next thing that they were out of was their signature pumpkin ravioli. This was a new item on the menu, as their prior pasta was wild mushroom ravioli, penne with sausage and shrimp spaghetti (I have had this one, without the shrimp and it was pretty disappointing). Again, it is only three days into your new menu, on a busy weekend (when they are not really slammed,despite the packed crowd at the MMI) and you run out of your signature ravioli. It just does not make a lot of sense. Just to be fair, there was one left when we arrived at 6:30, but by the time we ordered (7:15) it was gone. The late order was not due to their slow service, but was our choice.

My guests ordered, mac and cheese (he said it was good, but when I had it the week before in the bar, it was tepid, and I like my mac and cheese bubbly hot); 2 had salmon (cedar plank -- with sauce). One enjoyed it all, the other did not like the sauce. And, for the life of me, I cannot remember what the other entry was (sorry).

I must also say, that my top sirloin had sauce, and I do not like sauce on my meat (including fish, chicken, unless that is the dish -- I do not believe that you need to sauce every piece of meat that comes out of the kitchen). I also could have used fresh ground pepper, but I forgot to ask and they did not offer.

The new menu includes spaghetti with meat balls and brought back the Mammoth burger, which I think is appropriate. The french fries were good, as I has some earlier at the bar, and one of my guests had them. The onion rings were battered, which I like better (but not hot enough). The grilled veggies were a bit more al dente than I like. My husband liked his grilled tomatoes.

This menu is better for people other than adults.

The apple strudel was good, especially because it did not have raisins in it. The ice cream tasted good, but was a bit icy. The whipped cream was good.

My guest who had the cheese cake said it was really good.

All in all, I think that the place shows slight improvement, so the new menu is worth a try. They are also serving a breakfast menu, rather than the buffet which also looks better. However, they need to work on the consistency of the service, the food and their hours to really make the place worth returning to on a regular basis.

If the quality of the food improves with this new menu, and they actively try to seek out guest and gain their business through good food and good service, I think that place is worth a renaissance effort. But, you got to work hard at it and have a lot of dedication and training and desire to make it work.

I would recommend that you give it a try to see if you also like the new menu and if they are still improving on the food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Mary Jean P
Hawthorne, Nevada
“Excellent Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Good Service and bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast for a reasonable price. For expresso and breakfast rolls, I recommend the mini market in the lobby of the resort across from the exercise room.

Visited January 2014
Manchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrendous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My brother and I ate here in late May 2013, while staying at the Mammoth Mountain Inn on a tour. Pretty much the only things going for this place are the views of the mountainside, and its proximity to the inn - everything else is absolutely awful.

Having waited for several minutes with no waitress in sight, we picked up a menu ourselves - only to be told that we'd have to order at the bar. Okay, we thought. We ordered a burger each; at $12, it was the only affordable thing on the menu. The cokes we ordered were $3 each, which was a ridiculous price to pay for less than half a pint and no free refills.
It took a full forty-five minutes for the meals to arrive, while we were stuck outside waiting in the freezing weather. The meal was very bland, the fries were clearly frozen, and despite asking for cheddar cheese on our burgers they were topped with cheap processed rubbish.
And to add insult to injury, when we asked for the bill an 18% "service charge" had been added. You know, despite the fact that the only service we had received had been the barman taking the order, and the waitress bringing the plates out; no-one even asked us if our meal was okay. Needless to say, we got this charge removed - it wasn't anywhere on the menu - but not without an argument with the barman and one of the dirtiest looks it has ever been my privilege to receive.

So, in summary: to be avoided at all costs. *All* costs.

• Visited May 2013