“My favorite place in Mammoth”
Review of Nevados

Nevados
Ranked #14 of 94 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I just read the reviews from two individual losers and their experience is 100% different from every time I have been to Nevados. Although Mammoth is open year round, they rely on making money during the winter time. In the winter months, It is busy and I mean really busy. If you are planning on going, make a reservation because it is a favorite for the locals all year round.

Here is a little advice, "If you have a reservation and and aren't going to make it in time bacause you wanted to ski longer and then meet friends for drinks, make a later reservation - jackass."

With regards to the decor, the building isn't in the best shape and it is a little old. Keep in mind that you are not eating the building, you are eating the food for the food!

Give Nevados a chance if you haven't been there and you will be glad you did.

1  Thank kirk4pie

Reviewed July 15, 2008

Nevados is a local favorite. My family has a home up in Mammoth and we spend alot of time at this resturant. Tim the owner will go above and beyond to help locals and simply nice, to customers with a fabulous meal. It is very popular and they do turn away alot of customers. One review was angry that he was not treated with enough respect by cancelling a reservation 5 minutes before his reservation. That's a clueless out of towner who does not understand how popular this place is. Another reviewer commented on the exterior of the building. This again is someone who does not understand the weather and how building take a beating during the winter. This is a great place, if there were problems then why would locals call this place there favorite with great food.

2  Thank hannahandsatchel
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We just returned from a week in Mammoth over Spring Break. It's a busy week in Mammoth and you need reservations for dinner. I called Nevados on Weds, June 26th and got a reservation for 5:45 on Thursday the 27th. It wasn't my first choice and friends had told me the food was average, but It was right next to our condo and very convenient. I thought we would be able to make this early reservation, but we ended up skiiing longer than expected and were then invited to meet some friends for an early drink that thursday evening.
When I tried to call Nevados to cancel my reservation from my cell phone there was no cell coverage. It was getting late and I couldn't get through on my phone. So, I looked for a land line to use to call and cancel my reservation. I finally found a phone and called Nevados at 5:20. The manager answered and said "oh, how nice of you to call with so much notice", I thought he was kidding (ha ha) and said, oh, I'm sorry, it's really not much notice and he said, well thanks alot! I've only turned away 100 people today! I said, well at least I called, I could of just not shown up. He was a complete jerk. I should never of wasted my time looking for a phone.
I was so upset by his rudeness, I just couldn't believe it.
There are way too many other choices of restaurants in Mammoth to go too, don't waste your time a Nevados. The Tamarack Lodge is lovely and has a beautiful view and LuLu is fun a festive as well.

Reviewed March 18, 2008

We ate at Nevado's on March 16th. As we walked up it was plain to see that the outside of Nevado's is in poor repair and the inside was worn and not well maintained either. The place was nearly vacant at 6PM. The prices in the menu are for a four-star culinary experience and despite the worn furnishings we were optimistic. The wait staff was attentive, however it was clear to see that they were not seasoned professionals but most likely people working second jobs and they seemed new to the service industry. Our appetizer of lobster and scallops was OK although it was a bit cold. We tried the dinner course, however, my wife's fish was only cooked in sections. My food was brought somewhat cold and it lacked flavor. I find it very hard to believe that anyone has a good dining experience at Nevado's. I ate little of my food. My wife could not eat hers and choose not to send it back. We paid and left and then split a sub at Subway (which was much better tasting food by the way and served hot). Nevado's was expensive, and served poorly prepared food by willing but not well trained wait staff in a run down establishment. Overall--Nevado's is terrible.

Reviewed January 28, 2008

We have been going to Mammoth every years for the last 10 years and have eaten at Nevados every time. It would not be a great trip without our annual visit to this exceptional restaurant. Mammoth is lucky to have it there. Without it you'd be across the street with beer & chicken wings at Whisky Creek. But if you want a "real" adult meal with great service book early at Nevados. Reservations fill up fast!
ENJOY!