“Stunning View, Good Self Catering Accomodation”

Juniper Springs Resort
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 8, 2014

When we walked into our "room", we were surprised to see it was almost an apartment; we'd somehow managed to miss that it was a self catering place and not a hotel.

But no matter, we headed back into town to the supermarket and topped up on breakfast and snack essentials, plus wine!

We were tired after driving from Tahoe via Bodie to Mammoth Lakes, and didn't fancy going out to eat, so it was nice to have our own self contained world to chill out in. Sad to say that dinner the first night consisted of a pizza from Domino's (as bad in the US as in the UK), but still it was a very pleasant, relaxed evening with a chilled Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc.

The view from the balcony, over the swimming pools and BBQ area towards Mammoth Mountain were stunning, particularly early in the morning as the sun was coming up.

Overall, a very pleasant place to stay and a good base for hiking in the Sierra Nevada, although the rooms were very warm in non skiing season!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rikwhitt
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Rikwhitt
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Juniper Springs Resort. I’m delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and were able to enjoy the views from your balcony. We look forward to your return to Juniper Springs Resort.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We planned on staying for a few days to relax. Hubby wanted to fish I was going to treat myself to a spa day. Well we arrived very late in the afternoon. Fairly nice lobby, get to room and realize this hotel has NO ac.( should have looked closer at other reviews) Hubby called down to desk and was told by the front desk person to "just open the windows and door". Well I don't know about you guys but I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF LEAVING MY WINDOW OR DOORS OPEN IN HOTELS!!! If I was 5-6 stories up with no balcony yeah maybe. We had a large balcony that was easily accessible. So duh NO I was not going to open my window and doors and go to sleep. Next day we checked out by 11 am the room was close to 90 degrees by that time.. Now when I get to the front desk WOW!!! they had AC. Funny their guest are burning up but the lobby is very cool. Told that front desk why we are checking out and her quote was yeah it's hot. NO JOKE Never again that is for sure. Oh and BTW this is the second x I reviewed this property. Don't have a clue what happened to the first review. It did not post.

Retired and loving it!
Texas.

Room Tip: Make sure you read the review before choosing a hotel.
3  Thank Dc G
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Mrs. Dc G,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. Up high in the mountains there are a few days that the temperatures get warm enough to be uncomfortable. The hotel is also very well insulated for the winter months which make our room even warmer during those warmer days. We are recognized the need for air conditioning and started by installing it in the hallways and common areas and now working on a solution for our guest rooms hopefully soon.

Cordially,

Peter.A

Reviewed July 3, 2014

In September of 2013 my wife and I stayed at the Juniper Springs Resort for three days while I trained for the Tioga Pass run in Lee Vining to Yosemite up the 120....My wife and I were treated extremely well during our stay, great restaurants were recommended and we had the most outstanding stay, used the fitness room as well as the Jacuzzi...There are three Jacuzzi's ! and a great pool along with under cover gas barbecues right next to the pool, Bocce Ball, ping pong and an outdoor fire pit. The overall feel of the lobby and the hotel reminds me of the grand hotels in Canada, Banff Springs and Lake Louise. I personally travel much as an Astrophysicist supporting the DOD , stay in many hotels and I cannot say enough about the Juniper Springs hotel.

Unfortunately my wife passed away unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm in December of 2013. However I decided to ignore the fabulous memories of the stay my wife and I had and to stay at the Hotel again in June of 2014 with my children before a backpacking trip in the high back country of Yosemite. Again great restaurant recommended and had a great stay, albeit very short. We ended our backpacking trip earl (6 days)y, so we decided to drive straight to Juniper Springs and see if we could recover in the luxury of the Hotel.

At the front desk was Kaitlin, who was the most hospitable, and kind receptionist I have ever met. She not only found us a room at a discounted rate, but it was a great room overlooking the pool ect. She helped us order pizza and have it delivered to our room. I am writing this review actually mainly because of Kaitlin, otherwise I would not have. The Juniper Springs Resort stands majestically on its own but with employees greeting you like Kaitlin, it is far and above just a resort or hotel, it is extravagant dream-stay nestled amongst the mountains of Mammoth.

Thank you Kaitlin!!! I will be here again in September preparing my final runs at altitude for the Tioga pass run, this year and probably for many runs and camping trips to come....

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Martial_Magician

Martial- Magician
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Juniper Springs Resort. Our deepest condolences for your loss. I’m happy to hear that you were able to still enjoy your time here and make new memories with your family. We look forward to your return to Juniper Springs in September.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We arrived on a Friday afternoon for weekend stay in June. Even though the hotel was 98% full check -in was efficient and staff were very friendly and helpful. Our two bedroom suite was large and very clean. The kitchen was well equipped and the dining area accommodated our group easily. The free shuttle around town was a wonderful bonus. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: I heard some of the suites have open floor plans and some do not, we had an open floor plan. I will...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Teri T
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Juniper Springs Resort. I’m delighted to hear the accommodations fit your large group well! We look forward to your return to Juniper Springs Resort.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This resort offered everything we were looking for in a weekend getaway. It was quite and off the main road. We had a lovely room facing the hillside that said we had privacy and utilized our balcony every morning and enjoyed the fresh air and morning sunshine. The rooms are clean with a fully equipped kitchen.
There are plenty of things to do if you like outdoor activities and there are plenty of restaurants that remain open during the summer months.
This resort would also be amazing in the winter because of its location!

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor facing the hillside, room 443.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Hartes62012,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Juniper Springs Resort. I’m thrilled you found Juniper springs to be in the prefect location her in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We look forward to your return to Juniper Springs Resort!

Peter A

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed 1 night at Juniper Springs on our way to Yosemite. A further nights stay would have given us time to see more of Mammoth Lakes. AS a previous reviewer says, this is at a high altitude. We were very fortunate to have been given one of the larger 'rooms' which had a kitchen, living area, good sized bathroom and bedroom. The kitchen had the best fitted out facilities we have ever had - it all seemed very new, However the dining and sitting areas had obviously been well used. The views from our balcony were superb.
For food supplies and restaurants it is a 5 minute drive into Mammoth Lakes village.
The underground parking is great and very accessible.

Room Tip: We had room 404 which was spacious and had a very large balcony with great views.

Dear Katherine E,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Juniper Springs Resort. I’m pleased to hear the fully equipped kitchen has met all your needs during your stay at Juniper Springs Resort! We look forward to your return to Juniper spring Resort.

Peter A

Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Room was large enough with a seating area, dining table and some kitchen area (though had to unplug the noisiest fridge ever in order to sleep), but the bathroom was very small and dated.
We only stayed for 2 nights in June in order to visit Yosemite, which will take you about 2 hours each way to drive to!
To be fair we didn't use any of the facilities except the Business Centre which did it's job.
The biggest issue was it's location, which whilst close to one ski lift it is a drive to the Village or main drag thru town where all the restaurants and bars are located, certainly not walkable.
Just thought it was slightly overpriced for a mid standard hotel in a poor location.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MelandAndyY

Dear MelandAndyY,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. While only a mile away from most restaurants and bars, our customers generally prefer the quietness our resort offers. We do offer a coffee shop with the essentials and a complimentary shuttle ride to make the dining experience more enjoyable.