“Worth a try”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Picked this place on Trip Advisors recommendation. One thing to consider is this place only has seven tables indoors. I can see this being an issue during peak times. We came in the off season so this was not an issue for us. The food was better than average. Our favorite believe it or not was the Caesar salad. Awesome homemade dressing! Service was good but not stellar. Dress is very casual.

There are newer reviews for Toomey's

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Came here with high expectations. Detoured all the way there just to try the food.

We had the highly recommended BBQ short ribs n a Oyster PO Boy.

Food came quick n fresh. The short rib was tender but dry and short on flavour. We had to smothered the ribs with the bbq sauce it came in to enjoy the ribs. On its own, with little sauce, it was dry and bland.

The oyster po boy sandwich was above average. 6 fat oysters in a long sandwich served with lots of fries. The oyster was tasty, but as a whole, it was average. The bread was too big. When you bite through the bread and oyster in one bite you don't taste much of the oyster. So I picked out the oysters and eat them separately with pieces of bread. When I want an oyster po boy, I want to taste mouthful of oysters. The best oyster po boy I had was in Louisiana where the sandwich was filled with lots and lots of small oysters in a soft warm roll, drizzled with generous seafood cocktail dressing. Each bite burst with oyster flavour. At Toomeys, there wasn't enough albeit big oysters and even bigger piece of bread.

Service was great. Only wished food was as good....

1  Thank travellernot2urist
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised to find such amazing food at fairly reasonable prices in Mammoth Lakes. Every selection was prepared to near perfection. Small and crowded, but we took this as a good sign in the off season. They say they are expanding this year, I sure hope they hold on to the quality. A real gem.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I went up to Mammoth Lakes this past week. On 10-21-2013 we searched the entire mammoth area for a great place to eat. After searching yelp for current reviews we came across Toomey's. Reading the reviews on yelp made this an easy decision to try it out. Toomey's has high rankings and very great feed back from their customers and now I know why. After a long day out on Lake Crowley fishing we were looking for a relaxing dinner. We pulled up to Toomeys to find great parking right in front. We were greeted by a host who was very nice and sat us outside at a table with a fire pit in the middle. It was a cold night but with the hot fire and heaters provided at our table, we were very comfortable. We started off with a bottle of very nice wine and some appetizers. Our waiter was amazing and recommended we split the caesar salad. This salad was amazing and the portion size was spot on perfect. We then had the crab cakes which were also amazing! If you do order the crab cakes (which I highly recommend) ask them to switch out the huge salad for an extra crab cake. If you are looking for an amazing garden salad then the normal order comes with just that. The staff there was so accommodating and seemed to be there to serve our every whim. When we decided to order our main course, my girl friend got the filet mignon and I got the elk chops. The food came out steady, hot and fresh. My first bite of the elk was pure pleasure and the sides that came with it was so delicious. The elk was so tender and had a dark portobello mushroom sauce that glazed the entire dish. They had garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed veggies that were so incredible. I usually can not finish my plates when I eat out, but at Toomey's I was ready to lick it clean. I was lucky enough to try my girl friend's filet mignon which literally melted in my mouth. The waiter was so knowledgeable and asked if my girl friend would like to put in a special ordered. She too had the same portobello dark sauce that I had on my dish. The mushrooms were so tender and had an amazing taste. After finishing up the main course and bottle of wine we ordered the banana rum ice cream franklin. This was by far one of the best dishes I have ever had for desert. I usually do not have a sweet tooth, but I could eat this everyday. When we got the bill we were surprised to see how much this all cost. We were expecting a $180.00 bill. Instead we were surprised to see it only cost us $115.00. I have to say for the great price of the food, the romantic and cozy atmosphere and the attentiveness of the staff I would be willing to spend $200.00 for a night like that. I will always go back to Toomey's every time we go to Mammoth Lakes. This is by far one of the best restaurants I have ever been too and is the best restaurant in Mammoth for sure. I have been to almost every high end establishment Mammoth has to offer and not one of them touches Toomeys! The quality of food, the setting and the kindness of the staff is like no other. I hope people read this review and give Toomey's a chance to wine and dine them. We need to support Mammoth's local eateries and make sure they never close or become seasonal. Please if you are looking for an amazing time, good company, amazing food and reasonable prices, Toomey's is the place to go. I hope to see more reviews like they have been getting and hope this review guides you to experiencing the wonderful night my girl friend and I had that night.

Stephen - Solana Beach, CA

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Quite by chance (we had no access to TripAdvisor!) we stopped at Toomey's for dinner on our night in Mammoth Lakes during our Honeymoon. We were extremely lucky that a table for 2 opened up when we arrived as the restaurant was packed and is very small.

We both ordered the Baby Back Ribs with mash and Tenderstem Broccoli and shared a bottle of Owens Valley Ale. We then shared a Coconut Cream Pie and went back to the motel with full bellies and huge smiles! This was up there with the best meals we ate whilst in America and would love to go back to Mammoth and Toomey's ASAP.

The food was absolutely delicious, the service fantastic and the availability of locally brewed ale just topped it off. If you're in Mammoth Lakes, you must, must go to Toomey's. You won't regret it!

1  Thank Owen S