“Hotel owner provides B/B services”

Travelodge Mammoth Lakes
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed December 27, 2009

Young Kim, who just purchased this hotel, and was a previous owner of a B/B in Cambridge, Ma with his wife has made this place amazing. They know their guests, provide breakfast in the morning, make sure rooms have everything, kids are taken care of as well as their pets. They even gave my son and I on Christmas day a big slice of red velvet cake (homemade I may add) to say "Happy Holidays". I left early and they helped me with my refund with Expedia. Def. not a typical budget hotel experience and I will return. 5 star !!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank emmalongbeach

Reviewed December 23, 2009

We stayed at this place despite all the negative reviews and found they were wrong. this place has new ownership and they seem to have turned the business around. the new owner was friendly and very accommodating. yes, the place is kinda old but it was clean and everything in our room worked fine. it has adequate parking and if you need the shuttle to the mountain, its right down the driveway. for the price you cant go wrong. on my next trip up ill be staying here again. thanks john... see you soon. (oh yea, free internet)

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank milestk
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed for one night on short notice because they had a "cheap" rate and we wanted to visit our nephew who lives in Mammoth Lakes. I should have known better after reading all the reviews. We checked in Saturday, October 17, 2009, and the man behind the counter who claimed to be the owner, was extremely nice and very friendly. That was the best thing about this hotel. He proceeded to tell me that the hotel had been mismanaged for so long and they ran it into the ground. Correct statement. The owner had returned to upgrade the facility. But, as an owner, what prompts you to let this happen? This certainly didn't happen overnight. First, I would recommend he does not allow his dog in the lobby. The dog barked at everyone that walked in and the owner indicated that this was his greeting. He then proceeded to put the dog on the counter so it could sniff and lick me. Not the best impression for your customer. They then told us the rooms had really been let go and to not judge our room too harshly as he took back responsibilty for the hotel 2 weeks previous and was attempting to do repairs himself. I never saw any repairs of any kind. Our room, 118, on the ground floor was disguisting. The chain lock on the door had apparently been kicked in as it was half off the door frame. The walls, doors etc were filthy. The curtains did not close. I had to move one of the pins and attach to the curtain rod so we could have privacy. The bed was filthy too. When I pulled back the cover, the sheets and blanket were threadbear. They were also so brown and wrinkly that I felt as if they were never changed. The pillows looked like something you find tossed out at the dump. When the sheet came away from the mattress, we noticed it the entire mattress was ripped along one side. I didn't uncover any other sides to see how bad it was because I didn't want to touch it. As a previous writier stated, the towels were so small and extremely thin. The floor mat for the bathroom was also just a thin towel. Ditto on the toilet flushing. You had to hold down the handle the entire time. There was grout poorly put around the sink bowl and behind the faucet that had been there for years and collected mold and dirt. The bathroom door didn't close unless you shoved it hard because the hinges were broken. Didn't want to push on the door because that too was filthy. The icing on the cake was when we were woken up at 4:00 in the morning by the microwave in our room starting all on it's own. Freaky! Couldn't get back to sleep after that. My husband and I both came away from the experience saying that this was by far, the worst hotel we've ever stayed in. We travel extensively and have stayed in hotels across the country, Mexico, Caribbean, Europe and Africa. That's what I get for booking literally last minute and not paying attention to the reviews. I know better. And it will take more than sprucing up the rooms to bring this facility up to a standard worthy of even one star. This facility would be better off bulldozed and rebuilt....since its in such a great location.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We are travelers, have stayed in hotels all over the world and are not fussy. That said, we do appreciate when the hotel staff and management goes out of their way to accommodate us.

We received a snow alert by email and packed our snowboarding equipment in a matter of hours. On our way out of the door we booked the first inexpensive available place we found.

I called to confirm that our reservation had been received and the staff had all in hand and told me they'd be waiting for me upon our arrival... at midnight.

We were given a ground floor room for ease and were greeted with weather info by an very helpful manager.

In the morning the hotel served coffee, juice, doughnuts, and cereal which was a very nice surprise as we did not expect that.

Upon our return from the slopes we were exhausted and did not want to leave the hotel and when my husband approached the front desk about a vending machine she explained that they did not have one and gave us her own cookies and candy! Who in this world still does that?

Awesome service, will definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Aweful place, grumpy staff, dirty rooms, dark, run down. BED BUGS, plenty of other reasonable hotels around the area, i'm currently in the process of getting a refund from Expedia.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thecamerachap
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I don't know why everyone is moaning so hard about this place.
Yes, it's not what your used to for Travelodge. Yes, it could do with a refurb and repaint. No, it is not dirty - our room and bathroom were both spotless (although worn as noted - this does not equal dirty!!).

It's located near all the restaurants and shops in Mammoth Lakes. There's plenty of covered parking. The room is clean and has air conditioning.
For little more than 50 bucks a night we were not expecting a brand new or swish hotel.

Breakfast was cereal, pastries and coffee, hot chocolate and juice. Nothing lavish, but again perfectly adeuate for the price.

If you want luxury and freshly painted walls, stay elsewhere. If you just want a cheap, clean comfortable room to sleep in without being worried about the aesthetics then this is ideal.

Having said all that, I really don't understand why the owners haven't taken a paint brush to the place...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed here for one night on the way through to Yosemite national park. So pleased it was only one night! - this hotel is disgusting, if you can avoid it please do, I will start with the door - one push and this would have opened, open the door and you are greated with the most dreadful smell ( and the windows were open) the people before us obviously smoked in the room. to the left of the door was the hanging space, no comment. the right was the bathroom - OMG!!!!! the extractor fan was hanging of the ceiling as was the light, the toilet wobbled, the shower made you feel dirtier getting out than when you got in, there was mould everywhere, behind the toilet, on the grouting, on the walls. The towels may have fitted an anorexic 4 year old (in fact I am sure they were face towels). In the main room, it was the kind of hotel that you didn't want to take your shoes of in or pull the bed sheets back from the bed. The bed sheet didn't fit and the blanket was horrible. Curtains weren't big enough to close all the way and we were on the ground floor facing the road,
Breakfast was a joke, 2 kinds of cereal, and mini muffins all on plastic plates, cups bowls, and cuttlery. however no where to sit and eat it so we didnt bother!
All in all we couldnt wait to leave!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple