“Not as bad as reviews suggest”

Travelodge Mammoth Lakes
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as reviews suggest”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Family of five from UK touring California. We stayed at this hotel and found it not to be too bad. Other reviews made me think twice but as ever, if you want five star then book five star. We wanted a stopover on our way to Death Valley and Mammoth Lakes is a very picturesque place and no doubt is beautiful in winter.
The hotel was clean and the rooms were spacious. However, be wary of the underground car park. In a hire car (van) we grounded the bottom on the lip of the entrance and ended up parking at the back of the hotel where there was no lighting so don't get too close to the back fence - a 12 foot drop.
We only stayed one night and it was only a stopover and therefore more than met our needs. The breakfast was alright and as it was free we can hardly complain.

• Liked — Mammoth Lakes
  • Disliked — Dearer than normal Travelodge hotels
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bay Area
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Came to Mammoth for a romantic weekend with my husband. This was NOT the place to stay. Outside of hotel was weedy, with paint peeling; stairwells from the garage into the hotel (no elevator that I saw) were filthy and smelled of urine; bags of garbage in the hallways. Rooms appeared clean initially, but the screens were torn and did not fit the windows, the pullout couch was dirty and at night I heard scuttling around on the floor. We paid $125 so we could get the pull out couch, but could not have used it due to the filth. To say that it was disappointing is an understatement. We paid far, far, far too much to stay here. There are far too many other better hotels around for the same price.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BayAreaScubaWoman

Travelers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is an old and shabby motel. It is not worth the $98.00 per night we paid. The room was clean. However, it wouldn’t have taken much to spruce it up a bit. There was a knob missing on a dresser drawer. It is a bit difficult to open a drawer when there is no knob. A knob, a screw, a screwdriver, and about five minutes are all that would have been needed to fix it. The hem on the curtains were down and hanging. A needle and thread, and about five minutes would have fixed this problem. The walls are very thin and all conversations, bathroom noise, as well as, TV noise could be heard in our room.

We needed to use the laundry and there was no dispensary machine for a small box of soap, so it required a trip to the store for a small box at an exorbinate sum. The motel allows pets, which is “ok.” We love dogs. However, they do not spray for fleas, so we amassed several flea bits. There was no paper and pen by the phone, nor stationary in the room. The continental breakfast was definitely lacking.

We left each morning about 9:30 a.m., and advised the front desk that we would be gone about two hours and would they please clean our room. However, when we returned, we found them cleaning the unoccupied rooms (rooms where people had already checked-out) before our room. When we inquired as to why our room was not clean, the gentleman at the front desk said “they must clean the rooms in order number first.” When we complained that the occupied rooms should be cleaned first before the empty rooms, they did comply and immediately cleaned our room. However, it did take us complaining to get the room cleaned. The people running the place do not appear to be Americans and perhaps do not understand the American culture.

Overall the front desk people were very pleasant, especially Angie and the cleaning lady, and they did attempt to take care of our requests. This is a two story motel with no elevator, and it does have underground parking. The Jacuzzi, Sauna, game room, and laundry are located in the basement, which is gloomy and needs repair. Our room did have a refrigerator and microwave, which was nice. And we did use the refrigerator. The pillows were as hard as rocks. I wished, I had bought my own pillow. I had a neck ache each morning.

We did complain to the Travelodge Corp. Headquarters. And they advised that the Travelodge is solely the licensor of the Travelodge trademarks and service marks to independently owned and operated Travelodge guest lodging facilities and is not involved in the day-to-day operations or management of this facility. While Travelodge does not own, operate or control this facility, we will notify the owner/operator of this facility of your complaint and convey our expectations that the licensee take steps to address your concern.

If you are interested in a plain-basic hotel that allows pets then this is the place for you, but you must bring your own flea spray, and perhaps your own pillow and laundry detergent. Oh! and don’t forget your ear plugs.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
California
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I've made numerous trips to Mammoth Lakes and this hotel was by far the worst ever. We've stayed at every lodge, the Best Western, Alpenhof, you name it. This was beyond the worst. I've never had a lousier time in MY LIFE. Wanted to sleep in the car. Ended up leaving the mountain early when we couldn't find anyplace else to stay.

Our room was damaged and dirty. "Clean towels" provided by housekeeping had little hairs in them - seriously. Game room is NON EXISTENT. Steam room looks like a medieval torture chamber. Jacuzzi leaks all over the floor - beware athlete's foot and god knows what else!!!! Breakfast is a joke. No "free internet." Rude/ couldn't care less about customer satisfaction employees. Parking area leaks dirty water on your car.

Not worth $30 / night!!! We filed a complaint after our stay to Travelodge and they said "it's a franchise, we cannot do anything" and they didn't. We received a letter of apology from Mammoth travelodge owners and it was in 1st grade level English with no spaces or periods - we literally couldn't even read it. This place is only in business because people want to go to Mammoth Mountain and it's a hotel with rooms. It's a dirty pigsty that obviously the owners could care less about. My worst New Year's vacation EVER.

By the way if you do stay here, there is coin laundry in basement and staff hides their detergent in the 6' tall pile of rugs in the corner, so you don't need to buy any detergent...... ridiculous. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Liked — There was nothing good.
  • Disliked — Everything sucked.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Long Beach California
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I have stayed in the hotel dozens of times. It is safe to stay here. Though it is a bit worn around the edges, it is clean and quiet for a basic hotel. The beds are comfortable enough. It has all the amenities that you might need: wi-fi, refrigerator, microwave, TV, safe and underground parking. I believe there is a jacuzzi downstairs. Also there is a basic continental breakfast. And it is located right next door to the tastiest restaurant in town: Angel's.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank shastabob
Bakersfield
Reviewed February 14, 2008

It was a horrible experience! It was a last minute trip and they had vacency so we booked it. We came in really late and the guy was a bit of jerk. The parking garage was horrible and iced over, leaking and a real pain to park a large truck in. That was just the start of our experience. The lobby smelled like old stinky laundry and dirty carpet although the carpet was new. There was no elevator to be used and we were on the second floor. Our first room smelled like a Vegas Casino, athough they were not adverse to changing rooms so they moved us. When we got to our room and got into bed there were tears in the sheets and holes in the blankets. It was terrible and the blankets provided no warmth the pillows were flat, and the heater was loud. I am a pet lover, and not adverse to having them in a hotel, but the manager had a dog and let him poop outside the door and did not clean up any of it. that was terribly disgusting and made for a smelly exit and entrance!!!! It is in a convient location and next to an excellent resturant!

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank boarderbetty
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2008

I came here in summer on the way to Yosemite and all I can say is that I was satisifed. It met my expectations of what a good hotel should be. I really liked the room, but I did find it a little stange that carpet was on all the walls and celeing? Maybe thats for insulation in the winter months I am not sure - however - it was cosy and nice.

The hotel has a big lobby and the staff were approachable and very friendly. I was traveling with an elderly person, and the staff were SO good that they helped drive her to the local german theme restaurant. How good is that? I give them 10/10 for service. Well done guys !

If there are any problems I would say probably the lighting could be improved inside, particularly in the foyer as well as general maintainance as the place gets older, and maybe clean the floors a little bit more in the lounge but the most important thing - the room was clean!

If I am ever in Mammoth Lakes again I will stay here. To many people this is just a budget hotel with no frills but I thought it was more than that. It had great views to the forest, was in a good location, the service as I mentioned before was Excellent and the room was cosy. What more could you ask for considering the reasonable price? How much more could you expect? Seriously I been to other places priced the same as this and I got less than half of what Travelodge offered.

• Liked — Nice room, nice view to the forest , location on the main street - EXCELLENT service
  • Disliked — Darknness in foyer. Not many restaurants nearby.
  • Stayed July 2006