“At the end of the day, you'll be glad you stayed....” 5 of 5 stars

Austria Hof Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   924 Canyon Boulevard, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
LA
“At the end of the day, you'll be glad you stayed....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

We stayed here over Valentine's Weekend and really enjoyed our experience. The location doesnt get much better if you plan on skiing or boarding as the mountain is only a football field away. The bar & restaurant had exceptional service as the staff was friendly and attentive. When you eat at the restaurant, make sure you ask for the J&T Calamari, it is phenomenal!

Our room was very romantic with the fireplace steps from the bed. We were surprised with the nice granite countertops in the bathroom area as well. The king size bed was very comfortable.

The 2nd floor has a nice jacuzzi available which overlooks the mountain that we really enjoyed. If you plan on staying in Mammoth, we highly recommend staying here as we have already made plans to go back in a month.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Spent three nights right before Christmas. Room was clean, well tended, almost everything in working order. (There was a slight leak from the bathroom faucet, and the light switch did not work on one of the standing lamps). The service was really good. they were like elves: never saw them, but everything got done. Front desk was helpful and available. Beds very comfortable, extra pillows, room warm (important in Mammoth!), shower great. In-house restaurant was really, really good. Have the baked brie!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We made a reservation for the opening of the snow season and right before the trip found out that there is no snow. What a bummer! I tried cancelling reservations but was told that if I cancel I will not get a refund. So I tried to postpone the trip and was told that our rate will about triple in January. Gave up that idea and decide to go any way. We got a 1 bedroom condo with fireplace.
CONS:
Advertising states that there are down pillows and blankets. The only down blanket in the condo was a very thin, almost see true comforter. No down pillows in site.
There was no internet connection at all and we had to go in to the hotel across the street to use computer.
Breakfast was horrible. First of all it's served in the lobby of the hotel. For the 3 days all I saw was totally stale(we tried and tossed it) puppy seed bread, yogurt, watered down juice and coffee, but no decaf.
There is no made service in the hotel unless you pay extra for it. We would have to pay for housekeeping even if we wanted to refresh our towels, I was told by the front desk. However shampoos were free of charge is we would go and get it ourselves at the front desk. I was really disappointed.
PROS: The condo is really nice, we stayed at the Chamonix #49. Fireplace is wonderful and plenty of wood. Kitchen is magnificent if you want to cook your meals, fully stocked with dishes and utensils. Bed was pretty comfortable. In the cupboards we found some games and that was great, we played with our granddaughter by the fire place. And of course the lifts are right across the street, providing that they are open.
We paid discount price for that condo but even if price is triples an quadruples, service stays the same. And that is really sad.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Austriahof, owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2009
This Guest booked a Thanksgiving weekend stay in a one bedroom condo at $85.00 per night using a promotional last minute rate they received from us in an email. The reason for the rediculously low rate in the first place was due to the lack of snow! Guest knew all this as well as the holiday no-cxl policy in effect. Guest then tried to cancel days before arrival and was reminded again of the terms they agreed to when booking. The front desk, however in an effort to accomodate the guest did allow them to option to reschedule, but guest was unhappy with that as well because they expected an $85.00 rate in January!
Regarding maid service- condos are not hotel rooms and thus receive maid service every four days. Guest received all this in a pre arrival confirmation email as well ias in a welcome letter. Guest had a four day stay so maid service was provided on the second day, Towel exchange is always free as well. Sorry if guest did not like breakfast, it is complimentary and quite delicious in most guests opinion. I believe all complaints stemmed from guests issue with cxl policy and lack of snow.

Travelers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Incredible, beautiful and awesome are just a few of the words that come to mind about this charming and wonderful hotel. Less expensive than motel 6....gas fireplaces....jacuzzi and a wonderful continental breakfast. The beds are super comfy and the rooms homey and inviting. The staff is personable and friendly...they remember our names! We don't stay anywhere else anymore....they also price match....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I was looking for a hotel close to the east entrance to Yosemite, and I found this hotel on trip advisor. The price was great - actually the only hotel we found under $100 the whole trip. The two queen beds were extremely comfortable with feather pillows and down comforters. Breakfast, although we had to bring it back up to the room, offered plenty of fresh fruit and good coffee. The town is very cute,and the hotel is in a great location close to the mountain. We liked it so much we stayed here again on our return trip back from Yosemite. We especially liked the second floor hot tub out under the stars.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kcnp
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Free breakfast was coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs (nice!), yogurt, cut-up (nice!) fresh fruits (5 kinds--nice!), muffins etc. (all sweet, no unsweetened baked products), offered 8 a.m.-10 a.m. in small lobby; bring room tray and take breakfast back to room. No coffee maker in room 105.

Room 105 (king + gas fireplace + wall heater) comfy, luxurious; medium-firm bed; above-average bathroom and interior design; enough lights, bright enough to read or sew (not something to take for granted at hotels in general); small closet; 4 chest drawers; iron & board; fridge; square floor fan (was not needed); window at ground level with view of clean narrow asphalt alley. Quiet.

A bit silly: fireplace was at far end of room; instead of seating area (2 comfy chairs, 1 round table, floor lamp) being near it, bed was near it with bed corner crowding fireplace. Why not switch the bed and seating area? I could have moved all the furniture by myself but my hubby wouldn't let me. :-)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
point reyes, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Hubby and I had been primitive camping for 8 nights. After mountain biking all day we wanted a real bed and a good shower. I had a headache and needed a cool and comfortable place to lay down. We did not have a reservation. I remembered reading the review from Haley C who stated she has chemical sensitivities and that they were not exacerbated by this hotel. We walked in at 5:00 pm on a Thursday (the weekend of their Blues Fest) and asked for the best rate on a room. We explained that I was getting sick and need to be checked in quickly. The hotel clerk, a young gentleman could not of been nicer and spoke in a quiet voice. He gave us a Queen at a good rate. The room was on the end and overlooked the parking lot where we could watch our car. The location ended up to be quieter than I thought it would with no second hand smoke filtering in. (thank you to people who do not smoke around lodgings.) We were checked in quickly and politely. There is no air conditioning, but the room had a standing room fan with three speeds. It was not on, so it took about 30 minutes for the room to cool on a very hot day. My suggestion to others is to call ahead if you know you are staying here and ask them to turn the fan on an hour before your arrival (and keep the drapes closed against the sun.) Someone on here complained of no fan or A/C, so make sure you are guaranteed a fan when you book. The room was very clean in all the areas. Nothing gave me the creeps. I felt I could walk on the floor and not get something disgusting. I like that it didn't smell of chemicals although the sheets smelled of bleach. If you are chemically sensitive that is the only thing that bothered me, but I just covered up the sheet with a shirt and didn't breath it. My husband was planning on getting up at 6:00 am to hike on his own and at 8:30 pm we noticed that all the cars were double parked and there was a car behind ours. We had a tree in front of our car so we were blocked. We called the front desk and our space was cleared within 3 minutes. Downstairs is like going back in time and if you have teenagers (although I play them too) there are a few vintage arcade games to keep people happy. A "Centipede" and "PacMan" and another. Pool table too. The only thing that bothered me was breakfast. I knew breakfast lasted until 10:00 am. I rushed out there at 9:59 am and the breakfast was gone.
Something you may want to know is the first floor of rooms is actually the second floor, which is great for quietness, but I don't think there is an elevator. There are about 8 steps and they are unusually steep and the planks are not as wide as most.
I don't understand some of these poor reviews, so apparently it's a hit and miss on the people at the front desk and the room. I am really, really picky and I was pleased.
Also, you are right across the street from the Side Door Cafe which has wonderful crepes and cafe latte's and it's close to the edge of town toward the Mammoth Mountain Park. For the price, in this area, the Austria Hof Lodge is a good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple