“Ouch!”
Review of Austria Hof Lodge

Austria Hof Lodge
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I thought I made a reservation on line but I apparently did not complete it. When I arrived to check in the man at the front desk was surly at best. He acted like he was doing me a big favor by allowing me to check in even though the place was practically empty. He gave me a room directly above the bar and I could not sleep until it closed. I can't imagine he wasn't aware of this. On the plus side my meal and service at the restaurant were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank djbphd

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here only one night (jammed itinerary) but wish we could have stayed here longer the hotel is lovely with an Austrian Ski cabin feel; our room was quite big, very clean and luxurious with a balcony. We arrived late from San Francisco as we took the 108 Sonora pass instead of the 120, but the reception kept the kitchen open for us and what a delight it was; the food was first class, truly the best salmon I have ever had. The restaurant had a nice feel and the adjoining bar. We got up graded to the King room and the bed was so comfortable. The breakfast was a nice buffet and kept us going till lunch. It was our favourite hotel of our trip and I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Finnvalley
Reviewed January 13, 2013

the most amazing thing in a hotel in the mountains is to find an extraordinary restaurant hidden inside. the people at the bar are friendly and smart. The SPA in the snow with a glass of wine gazing at the stars is wanderful

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank rosafucsiaOxford
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked a room at the Austria Hof Lodge for over new years which was more than 2 weeks away. Unknown to me my husband just booked a room at our first choice location which had a bigger room and was previously sold out, so when he told me I immediately cancelled at the Austria Hof. I CANCELLED THE RESERVATION APPROX. 10 MINUTES FROM THE TIME I MADE IT. They charged me the $50 dollar cancellation charge. I called explaining the circumstance that it literally was cancelled right after I made it as it just didn't seem fair for them to charge me, and that made no difference to them and they still charged the $50. They will easily rent that room if it isn't already since it is during the holiday and over 2 weeks away. It was done online so it did not inconvenience them. I do not like places that do not have good customer service. Although I am required to pay the $50 by their cancellation policy despite them being aware of the circumstances, I feel that sometimes as a business you just need to do the right thing and treat people fairly instead of just trying to make the most money....they certainly did not do the right thing and in the long run a bad reputation will not help your business . I WILL NEVER STAY IN THE AUSTRIA HOF LODGE because they couldn't approach a problem on an individual basis and took advantage of this situation to make a quick $50 for nothing. I find that very immoral.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank kim s
Austriahof, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Kim S, I apologize that you experienced issues and and are unhappy with the stated cancellation policies and rules. Unfortunately you made this through a third party reservation system and in doing so agreed to very specific policies beyond our control. The cancellation was reported to us the following day and was subject to a nominal $50.00 fee. I understand your frustration and wish I could do more but you did not make the booking directly with us and in doing so you are subject to the other travel sites policies. Thank You, Joseph Mueller, Owner

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We'd seen it for years and finally stayed here - perfectly situated next to Canyon Lodge - you'd think they'd cater to skier's needs, but breakfast and coffee is embargoed until 8 am - so forget first chair. Refrigerator in room but no coffee maker, paper cups, old TV with mis-connected DVD. Noisy old school place, but serviceable. The facility is worn with a few upgrades, but pretty basic. Great views of Lincoln from outdoor hot tub. Bizarre apple smells permeated the entire place starting at 4 am and really never stopped - fun at first but nauseating by the end. Hotel staff answered questions but offered little more and didn't smile much if at all.
By contract, downstairs the bar staff was GREAT, friendly and helpful, good happy hour deals, but the menu is rather (but not exclusively) meat-oriented.
In sum, the place seems to be striving to be true to old-school Austria "hospitality" that seems out of place in this day and place. Check out the happy hour, and stay to be near the slopes if you want, but don't expect them to cater or respond to your needs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MCC207
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Old lodge great location but Lodge has seen its better days. They do the best they can with what they have and that was ok. Ideal place to go with friends, parking and internet included (good signal even in 3rd floor). Nice Jacuzzi in 2nd floor but since carpet was so dirty and dinning room was smelly I did not dare to go on it. Bed sheets and covers were clean so was bathroom, but again carpets and chairs were scary old and dirty. Not bad for $80 per day but I rather to pay extra $10 or $20 and try something else next time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room .302 had little balcony facing mountain and no noise upstairs ; )
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clara B
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room was hot, stuffy and smelled bad. The "breakfast" they offered was pitiful with cheap breads and teas. They had yogurt that was sitting out and getting warm and the fresh fruit they had did not look fresh at all. The room had an in room refrigerator that was very loud and sounded like an ice machine was in the room rumbling all night. Not impressed at all. One upside is that you couldn't get closer to lifts in the winter.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple