“Good Value For Boarding”
Review of Sierra Lodge

Sierra Lodge
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bakersfield, CA
“Good Value For Boarding”
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Very good stay for anyone looking to board and have a good place to stay. Staff is great and helpful. Good resteraunts close by and close to the village. Can not say how it compares to local hotels as I usually get a condo but was not disappointed. Try and avoid rooms next to the stairs, it is easy to unload your truck but have to listen to people going up and down all night. All in all a good value for the money.

• Liked — Location & Staff
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank goodhotels45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
ranchocucamonga
Reviewed November 29, 2007

This was our first time staying in Mammoth. I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for a room but didn't want motel 6. The rates were reasonable and a plus when I found out it was a non smoking hotel 105.per night with AAA discount. They do need to do some remodeling, some of the furniture is old and the back door on the 2nd floor was comming of the hinges. For the price it wasn't bad.

• Liked — It was a non smoking hotel and it had a small frig, sink, and a microwave.
  • Disliked — It was out dated and needed some remodeling and some of the repairs were done by rookies.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Fernley, NV
Reviewed August 28, 2007

We decided to stay at the Sierra Lodge because it was a great value for the Mammoth area and they accepted pets. This place wasn't bad, but wasn't good; it was just ok. There was a major pipe leak or something like that going on and the first floor stairway was soaked and smelled musty. We stayed on the third floor so that didn't affect us after we got upstairs. The rooms were good size and decent. The bed was a little on the cheap side and not incredibly comfortable but we managed to sleep on it. The staff was attentive. During our stay, our TV broke and we had it replaced within 15 minutes. We didn't spend much time in the room so it was an ok accomodation. If you plan on spending more time in the room you might want to pass because other than a bed and a shower there are no extra comforts. Also, if staying in the summer, THERE IS NO A/C in the motel...that made our nights very warm and slightly uncomfortable.

• Liked — They allow pets.
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Apewoman
London
Reviewed May 23, 2007

We turned up looking for cheap accommodation and Sierra Lodge fitted the bill perfectly. $66 got us a huge room - tired but clean and perfectly comfortable.

It's clearly geared up for the skiing trade - huge pegs and loads of drying space in the room.

It's a Travel Lodge style place in a good location in the town - close enough to walk to a few reasonable restaurants.

• Liked — Cheap but functional
  • Disliked — For $66, nothing!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelJudge
Santa Barbara
Reviewed March 13, 2007

I can't imagine what some of your reviewers are talking about. I stayed at the Sierra Lodge 3 nights and found it to be great hotel, far better than I expected considering the negative reviews. The rooms are large, comfortable, very clean, and well equipped. One review I read complained that there was no coffee maker in the room. As they serve fresh coffee, sweet rolls, apples, and bagels each morning in the fireside room who cares. It snowed quite a bit during my visit. As you might imagine, I really appreciated the covered parking. I've stayed in some very luxurious hotels and the Sierra holds up quite well by comparison. While the bedding is not quite as luxurious as that found at say the Fairmont, it was very comfortable. Instead of marble and tile, you will find linoleum and Formica. In addition to the regular amenities we had a refrigerator, a microwave over, silverware, plates etc., as well as an extra sink. We had more closet space than most of the hotels I've stayed in. The Mammoth shuttle stops right outside the hotel, very important if your into snowboarding or skiing. The staff, for the most part, was very pleasant. The price charged by Sierra Lodge is significantly lower than that charges by similar hotels. If you're looking for pillow topped mattresses don't stay at the Sierra Lodge, but if you want a good hotel at a great price the Sierra Lodge is definitely a place to consider. As for me, I'm looking forward to returning to Sierra Lodge.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Icy driveway
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank NPSantaBarbara
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 30, 2006

I've stayed at the Sierra Lodge three or four times over the past 10 years. Then it was sort of a novelty being one of the first all no smoking motels. My last visit (with hubby and two teenagers) was over the Labor Day weekend. The place has gone downhill. It hasn't been refurbished in ten years and the wear and tear is obvious. The continental breakfast which used to include pastries from a local bakery with giant bearclaws and other goodies is now more spartan.

On past stays we'd been given a room with a view toward the mountains. This time we had a room over the driveway facing the dingy apartment building across the drive, with the accompanying noise.

On the plus side, I like the little frig and microwave. I like having a sink both inside and outside the bathroom with two long counters. The counter across from one sink is a good place for suitcases, shoes etc. There are also handy hooks for jackets.

Okay for a quick overnight stay but not for any sort of extended vacation.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank tatin
los angeles
Reviewed March 21, 2006

I booked a two night stay. I was told I had the last available room. When I opened the door the chemical smell was powerful. I was too tired to deal with it and just left the windows open all night. The next day I asked for another room- none available. I asked for a refund on my second, prepaid night but the manager refused. I changed hotels anyway as I could not stay another night in that chemical pit. Not a professional establishment.

• Stayed March 2006