“Homemade goodness”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of CJ's Grill

CJ's Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
CJ's Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 90 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Meridian
Transit: We are located on Old Mammoth with a Red Line and Trolley bus stop just next door.
Description: American food with a twist. Sauces, Dressings & Desserts Home Made.
Los Angeles, California
“Homemade goodness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were looking for some good food and found it at CJ's. The rustic cabin feel of the restaurant makes you feel at home and the friendly staff is more than welcoming. Our picky 6-year old enjoyed the home style mac-n-cheese, which says a lot! I really liked the pulled pork sandwich with a side of Amish cole slaw. It was not overly spicy or slathered in sauce and let the flavors shine through.

I didn't have enough room for the lava cake so that will have to wait for next time!

Visited July 2012

Palmdale, California, United States
“False Advertisement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you go to their website cjsgrillmammoth.com click on kids menu it clearly states at the bottom kids eat free on Monday with a paying adult. When I asked the hostess about it she looked at me like I was crazy.Whe I told her it was on the website she said"that's only in winter". Then why is it still on the website? Then I noticed they charged 18% for parties of 6 or more.We had 7 ppl, so I just walked out and went to Z Ranch where the service is Excellent!

Visited July 2012
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Ok but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Recommended to us, but proved the food turned out to be good but expensive for what it was. The staff were friendly and welcoming but should learnt to back-off a bit once guests are sta at the table... we weren't looking for company.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Tim_and_Les
Gardnerville, Nevada
“Another winner in Mammoth Lakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

We went to CJ's Grill after reading other reviews on Tripadvisor.com.
It sounded good and we've tried nearly all the other restaurants in Mammoth Lakes, so this was an adventure for us!
We were very impressed that they used 'opendoor' for online reservations from my iphone. That made things simple as we made the 6 hour drive to Mammoth Lakes- we knew we had a dinner reservation on a Friday night on a holiday weekend. We are not big fans of waiting a long time for a table, needless to say.
When we arrived (early) we were promptly greeted with a big smile and seated right away. Natalie, our server, was very nice and came to the table immediately. She also greeted us warmly and genuinely. She asked if we wanted to hear about the fresh fish specials and then described them so wonderfully that I really had a hard time choosing one of them! They had a fresh tilapia breaded with a macadamia crust, and a California seabass, grilled, with an avocado salsa and fresh steamed veggies.
We decided to start with the freshly made pretzel bites. The portion is very generous and served with a delicious jalapeno cheese sauce and a honey Dijon sauce. We also started with a glass of the Pomelo Sauvignon Blanc and a California Pinot Noir (can't remember which one). The prices for the wine by the glass was average.
One of the things we could tell when the pretzels were delivered is that they are house-made. We both love to cook and try to identify food that is made in-house, or store bought. These were made right before they were served! The pretzel bites were a little crusty on the outside, and soft and slightly chewy on the inside, just dabbed with butter and a bit of kosher salt. Delicious!
My husband ordered the 5 ounce flat iron with a side of mac n cheese and a salad with the CJ Vinaigrette homemade dressing. The dressing was lively with peppery spices.
When we arrived in Mammoth this afternoon, I took a little nap. Hey, it's been a very busy 'vacay' week what with a wedding and the whirlwind of visiting family and then driving 6 hours to Mammy! While I napped, he decided to check the 'Yelp' reviews. ( I don't trust Yelp) The Yelp reviews said that the steaks and seafood was usually overdone, so he ordered his steak 'medium'. (He prefers his steak medium well). So when the steak arrived, he cut into it and it was a perfect.....medium. I told him he should have ordered it the way he liked it! :) ha ha!
The mac n cheese was a generous portion and tasted like it was made with real cheese. Creamy and delicious! Yes, I sampled it too.
The seabass had a lovely crust of a delicious blend of spices and was marked beautifully. It was perfectly cooked on the inside, too- tender and delicious. The portion was HUGE! The avocado salsa was very good- nice and chunky with a little onion, salt and a tiny bit of cumin or cilantro. The steamed veggies were OK- lots of carrots (that were a little dry) and broccoli.
My Cesar salad was good and again, a huge portion. I ordered the dressing on the side. It was tasty! I could just taste the anchovy paste....it gave it a sweet nuttiness, but not overwhelming.
We were too stuffed for dessert.
In spite of the fact that the restaurant PACKED about 5 minutes after we walked in, we had great service, an excellent meal and very 'mountain-y' decor that was casual, beautiful and welcoming. The pace of the meal was good, too- not rushed, and not slow.We will be back!
For three glasses of wine (yes, I had two- I wasn't the driver) an appetizer and two entrees, we paid $85 without tip.

• Visited July 2012
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Service was slow, perhaps they were short staffed!

Visited June 2012