“Great hotel with delicious hot breakfast”

Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel had some wonderful features. Covered parking was appreciated, as it snowed the night we were there. Very friendly, helpful, front desk staff and restaurant staff. They even had an indoor swimming pool. We saw a family using it on the way up to our room.
We booked a room with a king bed and separate sleeper sofa. We like to use the sofa to sit on while we watch tv and have our drinks and snacks. We were very happy to see a HUGE flat screened TV when we walked into the room. The room also had a coffee maker, microwave and fridge. The sink area was separated from the bathroom, another nice feature. The free wifi worked well while we were there.
After driving all day we didn't feel like looking for a restaurant in town. Lucky for us, the hotel has a very good restaurant, Cafe 203! The restaurant has the appearance of a diner, bright lights and some booths. On Wednesdays through Sundays they serve EXCELLENT Indian food! You can also find pizza, burgers, sandwiches, soups and salads. They also offer wine and beer. Our server, Marta, was one of the nicest servers I've ever met.
After dinner we wandered back upstairs to our room and had an excellent sleep in the huge king bed.
The bedroom window can be opened for fresh air sleeping.
A nice HOT breakfast was served in Cafe 203. There is a choice of cereals, fruits, ( fresh strawberries and cantalope were served when we were there), breads, juices, bacon, scrambled eggs plain and scrambled eggs with fresh veggies, potatos, and outstanding home made salsa. The cook will also make french toast or pancakes for you if you ask. We ate our fill and were on our way.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SFOF/A
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is an OK hotel. Set in Mammoth Lakes it's probably the leading hotel around for miles. That doesn't excuse the décor though. This hotel needs a facelift. The room we had had just had the carpets shampooed. The stroke marks were still on the carpet and it was damp against my feet.

TINY bathroom with what I've noticed before to be the split shower/WC and wash basin. I don't like this feature.

WiFi is patchy. When I did get connected, it dropped a bit. My top tip here, use Google's DNS service. This requires a bit of know-how with your computer, but the Nomadix service is crap. There was a review here on TA about this but I'd agree that it's bad, but there are ways around it.

Breakfast is nice here, although the altitude sickness I had later wasn't helped by the breakfast.

This is a nice hotel to stay at. We were on our way from Vegas to see Bodie and Yosemite so it's a nice place to crash. Bit expensive in my view also for a not-full service hotel. There is a bar here and a pool. Both looked uninviting. But being off the beaten track doesn't forgive this hotel for falling down on décor and general ambiance.

Word to families!!! - I noticed the windows in the room can be opened fully. I love this because I can breathe in the fresh mountain air, but 2 floors up, a kid could easily get killed here. Just be careful with the windows!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

If you don't care about access to the internet, this hotel is top-notch; but if you do, beware.

I have a Mac and spent two frustrating days trying to get consistent uninterrupted access to the internet, despite several efforts of the staff to "re-boot" the system. They even sent the tech guy to our room several times - to no avail. In all, I missed two days (both days we were there) of internet access and therefore, business activity. Even their business center had a problem, with only one of the two available computers working.

I don't know if other brands of computers would have similar problems, but I do know that, in all my travels, this was the WORST computer access I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
highsierragm, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2010

We are very thankful for this feedback. Internet connectivity and speed are a priority for our guests and we recognize this. We are currently upgrading our internet access system to address these concerns and will have the new system operational by December 15, 2010. We have also increased our bandwidth. It is our hope that this will provide a clean and seamless internet experience for our guests.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We overnighted here on our way from Yosemite to Death Valley. The lobby is elegant, and our room was as beautifully decorated as a 4-5-star hotel, with attractive bed spreads and quality linens. The indoor pool, located just off the lobby and with windows to the outdoors, was large and the water temperature was pleasant. There is also a hot tub. The parking lot includes some covered parking spaces, which must be a real plus during ski season.

Just a few miles away is the Devil's Postpile National Monument--well worth the short drive and walk when the weather is dry. Two workmen were completing a gravel ramp to make the monument accessible to visitors in wheelchairs.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The hotel provided what we expected, a reasonable room at a reasonable price. Function over form.
Could be cleaner. Stains on carpet - my partner didn't want to walk around in bare feet!
Recommend going to Moguls restaurant nearby as that was fantastic, great service and good value.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2010

On our way to Las Vegas we found this BW hotel and liked it a lot. Receptionist was more than friendly and so was the bartender. Both our rooms were clean and the beds were very good. We didn't use the swimming pool but it looked nice. There is a shop with postcards, drinks, newspapers and so on. Breakfast was wonderful with freshly baked pancakes and you could order what kind of eggs you wanted. We really have a good impression of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 23, 2010

This hotel wins because there are so many BAD choices (read the reviews) in Mammoth Lakes, a ski town filled with unfriendly people. Many of the hotels do not have air conditioning as they are primarily ski resorts. The price wasn't worth it for this room even with the significant discount I received, but my stay was comfortable.

We stayed in a queen double and the beds were comfortable. There was a desk & chair and one other small wood/upholstered chair as well as a microwave & refrigerator. It was nicely furnished but not commensurate with the price. The wall AC unit cooled the room down very quickly. Nice indor pool and jacuzzi. The property is well maintained and was formerly a Holiday Inn. It has covered parking which would be a big plus during the winter. A super deluxe hot breakfast is complimentary, served from the small restaurant located in the hotel and it was very good. We did not eat lunch or dinner there.

The front desk was professional but not friendly. Housekeepers do not speak English but the rooms are clean. Watch out when makiing local calls as anything outside the town is billable.

I got a good rate by watching the website and rebooked the morning I was to fly out for vacation. I happened to find a 3-night slot that mgmt was willing to discount. But that was one too many days for this puffed up town, and I won't be back to visit. But it would be hard to find anyone in town who cared anyway.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family