“Great value, very close to downtown and gondola!”

Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a very clean, basic hotel with a high level of service. I was very happy with my stay! It's nothing super fancy, but everything is clean, breakfast was included in my rate and was a very decent buffet and overall the hotel was very comfortable. You can catch the free shuttle by walking just a couple minutes away from the hotel. If you feel like walking about 1.5 miles you can just walk to the gondola and the restaurants/bars in the downtown area as well so great location!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear nunce1,
Thank you for your great review. We are indeed in a nice location within walking distance to many restaurants and retail shops. Remember to ask the front desk for dinner suggestions as they have free appetizer coupons they can give you. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My overall review of the hotel is that it is clean, well appointed and comfortable. I do however have a major problem with management’s policy of not being forthright and honest in regards to their NO early check-out term. I may have accepted this term if it had been disclosed when I made my reservation and I could decide upon the risk, not at arrival where upon I became in effect trapped. I believe that this was purposely done in order to keep me uninformed and avoid the possibility of not making a reservation because of this term. A careful review of my reservation terms had the usual cancelation, pets, non- smoking terms but no mention of early check-out. I was made aware of this at checked-in. This is what management calls the check-in terms which are the same as the reservation terms but they add the MAJOR term of no early check-out. Management will allow you an early check-out if you notify them at check-in, remember to bring your crystal ball in order to see the future. If you have a personal emergency or want to beat a storm out of town your remaining stay will be charged. I asked about a credit for the remaining stay if I had to leave early and the answer was that it depends upon the circumstances and if credited it would have to be redeemed within one year, OK if I could get it, want to return and management is still there to honor it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Advised1

Dear Advised1,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for giving me the opportunity to shed more light on our no early departure policy. The policy is this: Once you have checked in and signed your registration card, you are entering into an agreement with us. We agree to not rent your room to another guest for the length of your stay and you agree to pay for all of those nights rented. Now, we do understand that emergencies do happen and that some people worry about them before they actually occur, so we provide a few options. When we inform you of this policy at check in, we give you the opportunity to shorten your stay without penalty so that you can simply add each day that is emergency free. Secondly, when something does occur, we invite you to speak to a manager. While this is not guaranteed, we will often provide a credit for the remaining nights. We generally hold this money until the end of the season but are flexible if asked. Please remember that you are coming into a winter environment from approximately November to April and that it is your responsibility to look at the weather report and be prepared for winter conditions. We will generally not provide the credit option for weather. Shorten your stay at check in if an incoming storm is a concern. Also, be aware that these options are not available if you book your reservation through a 3rd party or book certain non cancellable discounts. I'm glad that you had an enjoyable stay with no emergencies.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stopped off here on route to San Francisco from Las Vegas and we absolutely loved it. So picturesque, amazing and I couldn’t help keep an eye out for bears. We didn’t see any on our stay  but on route through Yosemite national park we saw a mummy and a baby bear… sooo cute! You have to remove all rubbish, food, deodorant, lip balm etc out of your cars as the bears will smell it and can do some serious damage trying to get to it! Breakfast was nice and standards were good, we used the small gym while we were there but definitely noticed the altitude difference whilst on the cross trainer as I could barely breathe!! Swimming pool looked fine but we didn’t get to have a swim… I would definitely go back here to spend a little more time! 

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Amy D,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Eastern Sierra and Mammoth Lakes. It's fun to hear that you had an opportunity to see some of our wildlife. Thank you for your fantastic review and we look forward to seeing you the next time that you are in the states.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We were very impressed with the level of service we received. It was a quiet location, so we slept quite peacefully. The beds were awesome. The breakfast was wonderful, everything a person would need to start there day. It has a central location for town and for getting to Mammoth Mountain. As ski traveler's we would give this location a superior rating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Escape2ski,
Thank you for visiting us all the way from Vancouver. We have visited your city many times; it is one of our favorites. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and helped you to have a wonderful stay.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Best Western for the last couple of years. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the breakfast is delicious. It's just a short drive from the hotel to any of the lodges at Mammoth. We will definitely continue to stay there, and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Matthew,
Thank you for your excellent review and for making us your home away from home. We love seeing you time after time and appreciate your loyalty. See you again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Nothing is inexpensive in Mammoth during ski season, especially during President's Week when lots of families are on winter break. We were just staying for three nights, not long enough to rent a condo, so we used TripAdvisor to seek out a hotel that didn't break our budget. We were pleased with the Best Western High Sierra. While not "ski in - ski out", it was a short drive to the Eagle Lodge where my husband could easily drop me off for my ski day. While I was out skiing, he enjoyed the nice indoor pool and spa at the hotel. There is a small restaurant in the hotel which was convenient the first night when it was snowing heavily and we didn't want to venture out. Many good restaurants are within a short drive. Breakfast is included, microwave and frig are also convenient. On a short trip, we would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OCOzzie

Dear OCOzzie,
Thank you for your fine review and for making our Presidents holiday a success. The Christmas/New Years and the Presidents holidays are the busiest times here in Mammoth Lakes and therefore the most expensive times. I am glad that you stayed with us and found your experience with us to meet or exceed your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again on your next short trip to Mammoth.

A Best Western traveler