All reviewsindoor poolcar washmade to order eggschevron stationwestern hotelscovered parkingfree breakfastfresh fruitbreakfast was excellentwould stay here againmiddle of townvery nice hotelbathroom doorthird floorbeds were comfortableone night stayfront desk staff
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Reasonable rooms - though with the sink in the bedroom, which I'd not come across before, and am not a fan of. Breakfast was included and good. The issue was the service - it wouldn't be difficult to be a bit more welcoming, or to talk to guests as if they matter. We had a fairly frosty check-in, no hello, thank you, have a nice day or anything - just rules. Whilst waiting for my children to come down I also observed reception's direct and impatient manner. I was surprised that hotel staff filled the lift (elevator) whilst we were there waiting with our bags having just arrived as well. Having said that, the staff at breakfast were friendly and helpful.

So nothing to complain about, but could be much better. I'd probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank skyjockey99
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Skyjockey99,
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that our front desk didn't meet your expectations. To be honest, I am surprised by your experience as our front desk staff is generally extremely welcoming and friendly as can be seen through other reviews posted here. I will make sure to speak to my front desk to ensure that even if they are having a difficult day, they remember to greet our guests with a welcoming smile.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Hot Buffet breakfast. With such a full buffet which includes eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit, toast, bagels and freshly made muffins, yogurt and hot and cold drinks, it is a great way to start off your day.

I appreciate you staying with us this time and I hope that you reconsider and give us another try the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

The rooms are okay, fairly clean & beds comfortable. Bathroom set up is the style where the sink is located near the entry door and the toilet and tub are enclosed. The large, heavy door to this is annoying, but is the same in all rooms.

We did not use the indoor pool, but it looked nice. Convenient to have an elevator to the higher floors. Breakfast is included. Be advised there are only a few tables int he breakfast room off the large lobby, so one often must wait to be seated. The selection is small, buffet style but enough to start your day.

All but one of the staff was extremely kind and went out of their way to make sure all needs are met and visitors are happy with their stay. It is located on t he main street, not far from the highway exit. Several shops,eateries, gas stations around it. It is a short drive, bike ride or walk( 1 block to 1/2 mile) to other shopping, more restaurants, the top of the mountain and Mammoth Ski area, the lakes area, and other attractions.

We enjoyed renting a canoe to go out on Lake Mary. There is a boat rental place at either end of Lake Mary. We drove around the other lakes, stopping to go down to the clear glacial waters and stick our feet in. Nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PokeyPaddler
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear PokeyPaddler,
Thank you for your review. During the summer months, we have a fair amount of tour buses that come to our hotel. When they are here, the complimentary hot buffet breakfast between 7-8AM can be a bit busier as those tour guests generally depart around 8AM. I invite you in the future to ask at check in if there is a tour bus in house so that you can avoid that busier breakfast time. It was very nice to hear that you enjoyed our lakes basin area. It is a wonderful area to enjoy the splendid natural environment that we have here in Mammoth Lakes...and only within a 15 minute drive!
Hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

stayed in the Best Western Mammoth Lakes in July for 3 nights.

The Town of Mammoth Lakes and the Bestwestern High Sierra Hotel are a good location for exploring Yosemite National Park´s Toulumne Meadows area, Mono Lake, Devil´s Postpile NM and Ansel Adams Wilderness.
It´s right on Main Street but you might miss it, as its behind a gas station.

Check In was friendly and efficient, even when there was a long line (it was 3 pm, try to avoid to check in at that time !)
The room was spotless clean, the WLAN was free and fast. Only complaint was the freezer inside the room that was little noisy at night.
Breakfast was included in my rate and was buffet-style. The food was basic but good.

Room Tip: avoid to check in at 3 pm.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Canyonlands2008

Dear Canyonlands2008,
Very nice to hear that you had a great stay. Many people stay with us for 1 night on their way into Yosemite NP and many more stay with for multiple days spending one of those days exploring the NP. Mammoth Lakes itself has an abundance of outdoor activities to enjoy. Go fishing in the Lakes Basin, Hike the surrounding mountains to some amazing alpine lakes, explore the Tufa at Mono Lake, visit the geological sites such as Devil's Postpile, Hot Creek, or the earthquake faults from the 1800s, or check out the old mining history of this area at the Coldwater Campground Mine. It sounds like you enjoyed many of these fine experiences.

While a 3PM check in does tend to be busy, if you arrive earlier into town we welcome you to stop by the hotel. If we do have rooms that are clean, we will surely get you checked in ahead of time.

Thank you for your great review.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

After a long drive, we arrived to an unfriendly desk agent who acted like she was doing us a big favor to give us a room. She must have asked me 3 times if we had a pet, I think she suspected that we had one, we did not. She also kept answering the phone and starting over with our check-in as she forgot everything she had already covered. Yes, it's in Mammoth Lakes, but it is not a nice place to hang out. It was beautiful outside but it has no place to sit or enjoy the outdoors. There is nothing resorty about it. The indoor pool was depressing. Worst of all, it overlooks a gas station, ugh. And at $150 for a small room, it's no bargain. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Juniper Springs or Westin Monache, they have outdoor pools and nice, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Nancy8766

Dear Nancy8766,
I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and thank you for the feedback regarding your check in. We have a new front desk employee and it sounds like she was a bit overwhelmed. I will make sure to speak to my front desk to ensure they make the guest checking in the priority when the phones are ringing as well. While our spacious rooms are well maintained and clean, they are hotel rooms versus the condos that you will get at the Westin Monache or Juniper Springs. It sounds like the condo experience is more to your liking.
I appreciate you giving us a try.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

As a pleasant suprise they also had an indoor pool :-) All in all good value for the mony and perfect for the family. We arrived in the afternoon after a long drive from Vegas and the next morning we had a nice drive into Yosemite NP. Drive off early, you will need al the time you can get in the park. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family