All reviewsindoor poolcar washmade to order eggschevron stationwestern hotelscovered parkingfree breakfastfresh fruitbreakfast was excellentwould stay here againmiddle of townvery nice hotelbathroom doorthird floorbeds were comfortableone night stayfront desk staff
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times while doing work in the eastern Sierra and it is ok. The beds are ok and the breakfast is nice. This time while checking in I was interrogated and essentially called a liar regarding a previous cancellation. I had previously cancelled a reservation within the 24 hr period but they said that wasn't true?? I was then grilled about my govt ID and what sort of work I was actually doing in the area. I was paying $160/night which was not a govt rate so not even sure why they were giving me the 3rd degree. Check-in took way too long and it was humiliating. I would have left right then but they of course would not let me leave unless I paid. I will never, never stay at this hotel again. The front desk manager (Jackie) was unapologetic, rude, and treated me like a criminal.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank WilmaXX
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear CalifWilma,
As managers, we are sometimes faced with the need to have difficult discussions with our guests. In your case, I am sorry to hear that you took our discussion so negatively. We were informing you that as we will occasionally make exceptions to our 24hr cancellation policy, as understanding for unforeseen circumstances, we will no longer extend that courtesy for your future reservations. Out of the past 4 reservations, two were cancelled same day as arrival. The first in June, you are now contesting the cancellation penalty. The second in July, we held the cancellation penalty to be used on this stay that you just had. While we will offer this courtesy, it is not guaranteed nor offered multiple times.

To explain the governement federal per diem rate: This special rate is to be used solely for work purposes, which it sounds like you were here for. As we are a resort community and experience many government employees trying to use this discount for vacation we do always ask to see the guest's government ID and will inquire to the scope of work being done. I apologize that you felt interrogated.

Thank you for the business that you have brought to us in the past.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

For starters, check-in was VERY, VERY slow. Also found it a bit unnecessary that the staff insisted that ALL food be brought in out of our vehicle because of bears in the area. We have stayed at motels in the past that had bears walking through the parking lot and NO ONE told, or as in this case, INSISTED that we comply. Really, it's our car, if we are willing to risk it, what do they care?
The room was small. It didn't even have a table. Didn't have any room for our luggage, let alone the two coolers they insisted we bring in. It wasn't adequately stocked with towels, and we had to get more. The thing that irked me the most was the bathroom door. It absolutely, would NOT stay open. It REALLY got on my nerves.
When we arrived the on-site restaurant was empty. We soon discovered why. They only serve Indian food. Do they really think that's what tired, hungry travelers want? We asked the front desk clerk for other dining suggestions but they weren't very helpful and didn't have any area menus for guests to look at. I also thought it odd that they didn't have a menu for their restaurant in the rooms. It was getting late so we decided to settle for some of the few sandwiches that were on the menu. Nothing was as described in the menu and everything tasted bad. The sandwiches didn't even come with fries or a side.
The free breakfast was OK.
We did find it odd that there was no restroom in the restaurant or lobby. Someone asked where it was and was told that they would have to use their room key and go in the pool area. What about the people who are just coming here to eat at the restaurant? I don't see how they can get by without having a restroom. It just seemed rather strange.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER

Dear Huckertraveler,

Thank you for informing future guests that we actually do care about what happens to your property while you are staying with us. As we live in the heart of the mountains, we co-habitate with the wiildlife. This means that bears in particular will come through our parking lot looking for food opportunities such as food/coolers left in cars. The bears are surprisingly intelligent. They will not only break into a car for something that smells good, but also for something such as a cooler that they associate with food. Once they find a food source they will return, causing more damage which eventually leads to their un-natural death. For the safety of your property, the property of other hotel guests, as well as the wildlife we love, we encourage you and thank you for doing what is right and taking the precautions to not feed the bears

To reply to your other concerns:
The bathroom doors automatically shut in order to decrease damage to the entrance door as they would otherwise open into each other.

As you experienced through your decision to have a sandwich, Cafe 203 not only offers Indian food, but sandwiches, pizzas, and salads as well.

That being said, we actually receive many compliments on the abundance of information (restaurants, shops, etc) that our front desk staff supply to our guests including the two menu guides that are available at the front desk.. We also have a concierge touchscreen in our lobby for information as well. Please do keep in mind that as we are a small town, many restaurants close between 9-10 PM so options will be limited the later it gets.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while exploring Mammoth Lakkes. It is very centrally located and within walking distance of restaurants and outlet stores. On first glance the location doesn't look too good as it is beside a busy garage but don't judge it on that first glance. Our room was very spacious with a large couch. The bed was comfortable and we had a third floor "quiet" room as we had requested when booking. I used the laundry facilities in this hotel and for less than 5 dollars I washed and dried a large load of clothes. Breakfast was very good. It was buffet style and had every item both hot and cold that you could think of. Now, this hotel is not cheap and Mammoth Lakes is an expensive resort (apart from some bargains in the outlets). Restaurants were dear too but we found a reasonably priced Italian one on the first night. The second night we went to a Chinese (Red Lantern) and it was no more Chinese than I am! Way over priced and not very authentic food either. Parking spaces at this hotel fill up quite quickly and we had to park alongside a kerb on the second night. The staff were polite and friendly and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the third floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here as a family for around a week, we really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were large and clean (excellent maids). The breakfast was the best we had in the whole trip with hot/cold/fruit options. There is a nice pool and hotub to relax after a long day. There are several places within walking distance to eat although the quality is very variable despite the price you pay ! ...you can eat onsite but we didnt try this. This is a great base for Mammoth, Mono lake, East Yosemite areas .. we didnt want to leave and would go back in a shot ! ..(fishing rental available from the shop next door !)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel room is large and well appointed. We had two queen beds a table and chairs, flat screen TV, and all the little things were left in the room. Hair dryer, vanity kit, coffee & Tea , hand cream, shampoo & conditioner. They have free internet, plenty of power points (which won me over) , three mirrors, a vanity out side the bathroom which is such a nice touch. I would stay here again if I was every on this road again. The staff are very friendly and they have a laundry and an Ice maker....its a great stay! There is a cute shopping strip over the road.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Tunn-1
Thank you for your wonderful review and for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again!