“Great stay with friendly staff”

Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great stay with friendly staff”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I recently stayed at this Best Western during a California road trip. I enjoyed my stay here very much. I was greeted by friendly front desk staff on a consistent basis. I noted some people had trouble with the front desk. There were no issues during my stay so I did not have to confront the staff with any problems. I found them helpful and eager to please. The place is rather hidden behind a Chevron station but it was not that hard to find on the main road entering the town. The room was very clean and everything worked properly. There was an odd bathroom door that would only stay open by propping it open with the waste basket. The microwave and refrigerator were appreciated. The indoor pool looked nice but I did not use it. The free breakfast is in the attached restaurant. The food selection was good but the cook seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the demand for hot foods since many times the hot food trays were empty or nearly empty. The seating area is small as well and once I needed to sit at the bar. The location was fine and near to gas, restaurants and a supermarket. The 4 HBO channels were nice in the evening including a family HBO channel. I felt safe here as a solo female traveler. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Please note that the elevation here is 8000' so could bother folks with respiratory issues. The...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank travmama
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Travmama,
Thank you for your honest review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt safe staying with us. To answer your question of the 'odd bathroom door', as the bathroom door opens into the entrance door, we have found that if they do not close automatically, damage occurs to the entrance door as it gets opened and slams into the bathroom door. We look forward to seeing you next time you come our way.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was a very comfortable hotel to stay in with our kids for a one-night stop-over on a long road trip. The room was very clean, comfortable, and quiet, the indoor pool was excellent for our kids, and the hot breakfast in the restaurant was great. They also gave us a great dinner recommendation for John's Pizza nearby, which was perfect for our small kids. The only downside was price - $190 with tax for a ground floor 2 Queen standard room. On the same trip, we stayed at La Quinta and Country Inn and Suites for under $100.

1 Thank AmieeandJohn
Dear Amieeandjohn,
I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We have two main busy seasons in our resort community: winter for snow play and summer for hiking, fishing, and enjoying our spectacular mountains. While you may find that our rates are slightly higher than some other hotels in the area, we offer amenities such as a complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast, free wireless, microwave and refrigerator in every room, which other hotels do not offer. We also do not charge the $25 resort fee that many other establishments charge. To receive the best rates, come during our shoulder seasons which are generally May/June and Oct/Nov. Thank you for choosing our hotel.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is decent, clean hotel with a nice indoor pool.

My experience was ruined by a front desk manager who took a simple request (asking to add my 2 kids to my 2 king bed room) and made it as difficult, miserable and timeconsuming as possible. I approached them with the oversight I had specified just 2 adults and offered to pay additional for my kids to share the room. She refused, insisted I call my booking agency (who she consistently badmouthed even though they did nothing wrong, I did), then only offered to book me a second room at $200 a night. Not helpful. My booking agency called the hotel, and got my kids in the same room as I requested for $20. This simple request took over an hour and left me fuming.

The front desk manager complained she had to enforce hotel policy, slandered their booking partner and acted with amazing disregard for my situation.

There are many fine lodgings in Mammoth. I would encourage you to skip this one.

1 Thank CaliforniaFunTravele
EmilyEC, Manager at Best Western Plus High Sierra Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear CaliforniaFunTraveler,
Thank you for letting future guests know that we are a decent, clean hotel with a nice indoor pool.
For clarifications sake, when a guest books a reservation through an online booking agent, as you did, you are the guest of that company even though you are staying at our hotel. For that reason, we will typically contact that company to make any changes to your reservation. The front desk agent was not slandering these booking agents but informing you that as they
tend to present our policies in a confusing fashion, it is always best to book at www.BestWestern.com. Guests who book through these agencies, frequently do not understand that children 12 and over are considered adults and there is an extra charge for the 3rd and 4th guest in a room.
I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your trip.
Boston
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We booked two rooms during a cross country drive. As happens driving 4,300 miles, we got delayed and would not make it to the area in time to stay as planned. We called at 9am to cancel the rooms.
The manager informed us they were going to charge us full freight for both rooms. I am sure they sent me an email telling they have a 24 hour cancellation policy and have the right to do this.
However, we have stayed this trip 15 hotel nights in competing properties (Residence, Hampton, Fairfield, Courtyard) which have all had 4pm same day policies.

We had two conversations with different levels of managers to no avail. I stay about 80 nights a year in hotels and understand well the business model issues of vanishing inventory. If we called at 6pm to cancel, they should have charged us. However that was not the case and I have seldom found hotel managers so clueless about serving the customer. We offered to split difference and pay for one room, also to no avail.

These folks, in my opinion, do not deserve your business.

ATTENTION OTHER BEST WESTERN FRANCHISEES: We are today booking another 15 hotel nights across the country for our return trip. We will not consider your property due to the behavior of your partner in Mammoth Lakes. He is costing you money!!!

5 Thank Mike M
Dear Redfoxfan41,
I can completely understand your frustration with the situation that you were in. You booked a room with us through the internet and neglected to pay attention to the policies, assuming that our cancellation policy was the same 4PM day of arrival policy that other hotels offer. While we do stand true to our policy of a 1 night penalty for a cancellation within the 24 hours, we do understand that things happen to keep guests from adhering to their commitments. For this reason, we provided two resolutions to you. We offered to move your dates to accommodate your delay as well as to hold that cancellation penalty until the end of the summer for you to use at a future date. Offers that you chose to decline. This consideration is not automatic but something that we do so that our guests receive value for their money spent. In the future, whatever hotel you decide to stay at, please make sure to read through the policies prior to booking so that you know what you are committing to. Despite your frustration with this situation, I hope that you enjoyed exploring this amazing part of the country.
San Diego
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in a several Best Westerns on our trip, and this one was no exception.

Our room was clean and spacious. It had a refrigerator and microwave. The breakfast was great, the best of all the Best Westerns we stayed in on out trip to Cody WY. Eggs, omelets, pancake etc. were made to order. All other staff members we met were very friendly.

I would definitely stay here again, if just for the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Clean, very hospitable, nice people. Pool and jaczi clean and refreshing. Nice breakfast included. The best I have stayed in mammoth

Room Tip: Back rooms were quiet
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Akuna2857,
Thank you for your wonderful review. It's nice to hear that we are the best that you have stayed in while in Mammoth Lakes!!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here after Yosemite and before heading back to Reno. Our room was clean and spacious. The buffet breakfast was served in a small cafe that is a part of the motel. The staff was great and very friendly. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were conveniently located. On site laundry room. It was summer, so the resort area was not crowed, but was beautiful. We were warned about there being bears in the area and needed to remove ALL food from our vehicle. We then had the excitement of actually seeing a small brown bear rifling through the trash in the gas station next door!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family