“Just like Switzerland, but closer!”
Review of Convict Lake

Convict Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: Lake known for its alpine scenery and rainbow trout.
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Just like Switzerland, but closer!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Multiple shades of clear, blue water set against a backdrop of a magnificent mountain...the views are amazing. The colors were unforgettable--the green trees against the blue water I described and the clear blue sky made for some a fabulous pictures. It does get windy and chilly in some spots, but keep walking around the lake's perimeter to find a warm spot. Lots of fishers there, families and couples. I've been to Switzerland before and Convict Lake made me think immediately of Interlaken. Serene and gorgeous!

• Korean first
Oroville, California
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“This is an amazing side trip off of I 395”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were driving up 395 when I noticed a little sign saying Convict Lake 2 miles to the West..... Being that we were on a photo road trip and I have seen quite a few pics of the lake, I suggested it to my husband. Sooooooo of we went. Within the two miles we had moved up a canyon and entered an area with gorgeous monoliths and a sparkling lake in the foreground. I noticed campsites with motor homes and tenters in them. I think they also had little cabins. We parked and were able to take pics and enjoy a few minutes in an absolutely spectacular spot.

I am an avid hiker and have been all over the Sierra on the West side as well as hiking the John Muir Trail and several trips in the Mt. Whitney area. Throughout that hiking I have seen amazing lakes and scenery and have had my breath taken away by places that I have had to really work at to get to. Though I LOVE the adventure and the uniqueness of those moments, I was really happy to see a spot like Convict lake that is accessible to people who cannot take the hiking adventures that I can. If you have not seen this.... don't miss it. BEAUTIFUL!

I think you can take a walk completely around the lake or can stick to just hooping out of the car to enjoy the beauty. I also believe you can rent little patio boats if you want to get further into the lake area. I marked you could stay one to two hours, but honestly if you have more time take it.

If you are in a trailer and want an overnight in a lovely spot this is a great place. I think it is 20$ per night and probably needs advance reservations..... I don't believe there are hook ups, but there are flushing toilets.

2 Thank gdncd
Del Mar, California
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“great day hike near Mammoth Lakes”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We love hiking around this lake whenever we are up at Mammoth and don't want to ski every day. It's not too far from town and just the right length to get in some fresh air and some great pictures. We always see people fishing, so it must be good for that too.

Visited November 2012
Houston, Texas
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Nice hike”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The area is easy to drive and the hiking is easy. The lake is large enough for a good hike around it with nature and mountains, Well worth a visit.

Loganville, Georgia
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Great Place for a Picnic”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Drop dead gorgeous! The drive around the lake has beautiful views from every angle! The mountain at the back of the lake has dazzling colors that change as the sun moves. Nice benches on the waters edge to have a picnic. Many fishermen in boats and along the bank. What a lovely place to picnic, sight see and fish!

Visited April 2013