“This was the worst yet!”

Rafters Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Rafters Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 90 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A Mammoth Landmark since 1967, Rafters has been reborn as a world class restaurant under the ownership of James and Nancy Demetriades. Chef Brian Keipler presents New California cuisine complimented by one of Mammoth's most extensive wine lists and perfectly crafted cocktails. Now serving breakfast and dinner, and providing room service to Sierra Nevada Resort & Spa next door. Happy Hour 4pm-7pm and live music in the lounge every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.
Los Angeles, California
“This was the worst yet!”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Being in the Restaurant business myself this is something I don't like to do however, I would never return or recommend this restaurant to anyone. It began with us walking into a completely empty restaurant on a very busy week Dec 21st to be exact. We were greeted by a very friendly host who seemed to want to make us happy but we ended up in a ugly back room with no ambiance when there was a great table by the fire place we said we'd rather have. Remember the restaurant was empty at 7:30.
It continues to get worse as the night goes on. We asked for bread which took almost 30 min, then we order which seemed to be fine until the food started to come before the bread. I ordered a Polenta App which I actually spit out in my napkin another something I never do. I tell them I'm sorry but it's not good hoping this is the worst of it. Of course it was not. Next out come our entrees and I'm shocked by what we see. My friend ordered a rare stake and it came out still wiggling yet charred on the outside visually it should have never left the Kitchen. The presentation was horrific. My friend and I ordered the Pesto Pasta with Shrimp. The shrimp looked dehydrated and the sauce was thin like soup. Someone asked more Shrimp (I'm not sure why) and the bus boy not our server says well they are 8 dollars a piece but in a very un professional way.. At this point I'm laughing. No one else was btw.
I leave and very nice go and speak with the manager telling him all that went down and from a restaurant owners point of view. He came to the table and apologized he ended up removing $91 of a almost 500 bill.. I was shocked. At my restaurant if things fell apart like that I would have comped the whole dinner minus drinks maybe. I have to say this was the worst experience I've ever had and I'm amazed this place has stayed in business so many years.

• Visited December 2012

Los Angeles
“Divine food worth its price”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is one of the rare places where the food is worth its high price, because the fish and seafood are excellent and cooked perfectly, the dishes well designed with a perfect balance of tastes and textures, their presentation fancy and artistic (I'd rather pay less for less art, but the presentation was fitting). Food tastes were at the same time subtle (not coarse, bold, knock-you-over), yet distinct (not mild, bland, or timid).

Black bean soup (big soup plate, very filling) and the two-scallop appetizer were enough for me, a petite, for a full dinner. If I had ordered an amount of food any larger, I would not have finished it. This helped keep the cost down.

I would go back when I'm willing to pay that much--for special occasions.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Factual
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Great food”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Decided on Rafters as a last resort when we couldn't find anything else open except the Chart House in Mammoth (shoulder season). Great food good service enjoy the setting I would go back.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank gary w
Curitiba
“One great breakfast.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

They have a good breakfast menu, the plates comes with well served size. Have a good view while you enjoy your breakfast.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank N3tto
Millsboro, Delaware
“friendly staff”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A recent trip to California included a quick stay to Mommoth Lakes. We ate breakfast at Rafters. The food was plentiful at breakfast price was great ( 25% discount) and the staff helpful and friendly.

• Visited October 2012