“Side trip for kids” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hot Creek Fish Hatchery

Hot Creek Fish Hatchery
More attraction details
Owner description: The entry point for millions of trout eggs, this is one of the main hatcheries in California's fish-stocking program.
City San Fernando, State California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Side trip for kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Let me say that I love fishing so I wish I could drop a line here. There are trout that have to be 6-7 pounds. Anyways we took our kids and nephews and they just loved feeding the fish as they watched the fish go crazy for the food. I think I had more fun watching my kids than watching the fish.

Visited June 2012

Paso Robles, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very Interesting.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

This is something to take the kids to see. Then swing by and check out Hot Creek and maybe take a dip; if you dare! The raw and strange landscape will live on in thier memories.

Visited March 2011
Manhattan Beach, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun, quick activity for kids and adults”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Bring quarters to feed the fish. From the parking lot, the area to the right is the brood pond (big fish), the area to the left is the hatchery (range of sizes of smaller fish). You can buy fish food and feed the fish at both sights. We bring about $1.50 in quarters for each person as well as a paper cup to hold the fish food. Sometimes you get lucky and get to see the truck feed the fish by spraying fish food into the pools - then you get to see a fish frenzy. Closes early (maybe around 3 or 4). Not open in winter. Ten minute drive from Mammoth Lakes. Fun 30-45 minute activity as a change of pace.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank CantWaitForParis
Rumblebuffin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice quick outing from Mammoth, especially with kids.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Not spectacular, but an interesting visit. Two long fish runs full of fish. For 25 cents you can feed them, which invokes a bit of a frenzy. Not worth a trip, but ok if you are in the area; the hot springs are just a few minutes further on the same road.

California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Boy has it changed!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

My Stepfather Merle Reynolds managed the hatchery in 1955 until 1967. I went to the Mammoth Elementary just up the hill.
We stopped there today and I was in shock at how unkept it was.
Our grounds were well kept and we had nice homes.
What is the saying? you can't go back
You ask if I would recommend this to a friend, unless we missed something NO. I would not even want anyone to know I lived their.

2 Thank birdloverCalifornia