“Excellent ski-in-ski-out location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
San Diego, CA
“Excellent ski-in-ski-out location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

This is a real ski in ski out hotel. You can just walk to the lifts and be there in 2 minutes.
Excellent service, very friendly staff members, and awesome manager - Jette.
No, this is not Ritz Carlton, for those of you who left negative feedbacks. But Ritz doesn’t have locations like this one and even if they did, the rooms would have been $700 a night. So, lower your expectations please.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
jettelarsen, G at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, February 8, 2010
Dear James_Bond

Thank you so much for your feedback - I am glad you had a nice vacation in Mammoth.

We are making some upgrades to the rooms this year to make them more comfortable.

See you soon.

Jette Larsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

In a day and age when good customer service is very hard to come by, the Mammoth Mountain Inn still delivers. I've traveled many places and stayed in many hotels where it seems the customer is always WRONG. Not the case at the Mammoth Mountain Inn, they will bend over backwards to make sure your stay as enjoyable as possible. Namely, I would like to compliment Sonya French and Brittany Ray. Not only did they go out of their way to be extremely accommodating, they did it all with smiles and friendly demeanor. Add all of that in with a prime location and you have got yourself a perfect ski vacation. Mammoth Mountain Inn has earned my business for life.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2010
Dear powderjunkie1983

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.

I will share your kind comments with Sonya and Brittany - they will be very happy.

I look forward to meeting you.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

We came here on the MLK weekend Jan 15-18 stayed for three nights. Arrived at around 10:30 PM, check in took less than 3 minutes. The lady that was checking us in went upstairs to the bar to ask them to keep the kitchen open just for us. We ordered dinner and drinks and went to sleep. The food was good the service was excellent.

If you plan to SKI this is the place to stay. You walk outside of the hotel and in front of you there are two chair lifts with many trail options. You can rent SKI equipment and buy the lift ticket in the hotel SKI shop which is very convenient. They have a complimentary storage area for all SKI equipment. The guys in the bell shop are very helpful with everything from letting you borrow a brush to clean snow off your car to putting on chains for you and removing them for you.

The hotel has many amenities everything from inside Jacuzzi tubs to an awesome game room. This is a great hotel for the family. If you are coming with kids you should upgrade to the 2 story 2 king bed room. This is not a 5 star luxury hotel but everything about it is so convenient and you really feel taken care off and if you plan to SKI this is the best hotel to stay in. Their rates were very reasonable compared to some of the rates in the other hotels. When I come to Mammoth again I am going to stay here only. There is a 20 a day resort fee, not a big deal when you compare their rates to the other hotels. By the way everybody knows about this fee ahead of time before arrival they do a really good job about being upfront about this fee. I used the high speed internet inside the room using a network cable it was fast and free. There was plenty of free parking. A shuttle can take you to some of the hot spots in town but we used taxi cabs Mammoth Mountain Cab (mini-van), they cost $20 each way and very convenient door to door service.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2010
Dear worldcupfan

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I will share with our staff - they will be happy to know that they made your stay enjoyable.

Bakersfield, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

My boyfriend and I have been planning this trip since the last time we came here (Jan 2009) because it would be a good anniversary trip. I searched for a room by price, which was my mistake, but I figured every hotel I've seen in Mammoth looks nice so it wont be bad. I went ahead and booked through priceline and saw this one at $122 a night which is a steal. I went ahead and booked it. I payed for the room in full and was expecting to just check in. I got a good impression when we checked in. First strike was being hit with the $20 per night room fee which was "mandatory" and was to cover coffee, WiFi, gym, parking, you know all the things that are suppose to be included in the room fee. So I initialed even though I knew I wouldn't be using any of those amenities. Not to mention the parking garage was full so we had to pay to park and still had to use the public parking lot and get snowed in.
Anyways got our room key and we were disgusted by the smell of the hallways and the outdated look of them as well. We went in our room on the 2nd floor in the main building and my jaw dropped when we opened the room door. It's smaller than even Motel 6 rooms. You literally have door, bathroom, closet, bed in that order all right next to each other. The bathroom was tiny and didn't even have a tub. I was so dissatisfied, disappointed, and mad. This was our anniversary and this wasn't the kind of room we expected to relax in for the week. I figured we had to suck it up anyway since it was already paid for. On the first night we tried to go to the village for dinner and realized that being this high on the mountain is all bad if you want to drive elsewhere especially if its snowing. There is almost no visibility. We stayed in the next day and decided to rest our sore muscles by hitting the juccuzzi. We starting wandering around the hotel and asked an employee where it was. He chuckled at our attire as he explained we would have to go downstairs and cross the parking lot to the westwing. So on top of the terrible room with no tub we would have to go to another building in 17 degree weather just to "relax." We still have 2 days left as I write this and if it wasn't all paid for, I would have left as soon as we checked in and saw the room. This place is such a disappointment if you plan on boarding and coming to the room to relax after, which was our only plan. The only vacationer I would recommend this place to is someone who wants to wake up, board, come back, sleep and on a budget. Nothing else! I know I'm rambling now, but this is how disappointed I am with this place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msesmer
Dear msemer

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your room. We have many types and would have worked with you had we know before.

Please contact me at your convenience so I can make it up to you.

I look forward to talking to you.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

My husband and I always stay at the MMI, and though it's a little dated, for us it's all about the convenience of walking out the door and being able to access the gondola or several chairs just a few short steps away. If you're a beginner, the beginner area and all ski school classes are all just a short walk from the MMI.

The staff at the hotel was great this year. Sandra, Sonya and Darla were all extremely helpful and when I wanted to extend my stay over a sold out weekend, they were helpful in finding a room that popped up at the last minute for me when we asked if we could extend our stay one more day.

As for the reviewer who complained about the $20 resort fee, the staff is very clear about that fee when you check in and it covers the wireless internet and local phone calls among other things.

Transportation to the Village and to town are easy from the Inn as they have free shuttles running all the time. Over all it's more about the convenience and the nice hospitality at the MMI that makes it a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2010
Dear Lamchop01

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with our staff and they are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.

Please let me know if I can ever be of any assistance.

Bay Area, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

Booked through Priceline - and was given a SMALL SUB-STANDARD ROOM in a deserted section of the hotel AND later charged a $20 RESORT FEE (without informing me)! Priceline Customer Service rep says the resort fees are for amenities - water, electricity, phone(which I did not use), parking!! It is a HUGE SCAM. BEWARE!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 1, 2010
Dear MVS-9

I am very sorry you feel this way. We have many different room types and rates and I would be happy to help you find better accomodations in the future.

Please call me at your convenience.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Loved the Hotel. Travelled with my parents (mid 50s) and they don't ski so I was a little concerned of what to do. The hotel has plenty of acitivies for everyone from children to the elderly. Since we flew to Mammoth Lakes we didn't have a car there but it wasn't a problem. The hotel has free shuttle to the airport and there's also a free bus that runs from the Hotel to Downtown. Nice restaurants, nice Gondola ride up the mountain, nice spacious two-story room and very friendly staff.
Special Kudos to Sandra from the front desk, Howard the bus driver, Eric and Paloma from the Yodler Restaurant and Kathrine from the Mountain Bar and Grill.
The maids were also very nice and did an awesome job with the room.
Overall a fantastic stay, despite the price 450$ per night (I'll give it a break since it's holiday time), but I would definitely come back.
If we had stayed somewhere else it wouldn't be as convenient for sure!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Dear JoaoNeto

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn.

I have shared your comments with our staff - they are very excited.

Please contact me if I can ever be of any assistance in the future.