“Overpriced in summer when there is no snow or activity”

Mammoth Mountain Inn
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our group of four were traveling and needed a room for the night. We made reservations for two rooms and were surprised when we arrived that despite the cost near that of high end lodging, we had a tired room with no air conditioning. Fortunately the weather had begun to cool somewhat at night and if you left the windows open all night you could sleep. But only until you looked at those open windows and recalled the emphatic warnings to avoid the bears....
We had dinner in the upstairs bar since the restaurant was not open. The service there was as one would expect in a sparsely occupied bar - poor. We ordered the three onion soup ($8.00) which the ladies liked. The Mountain Club sandwich ($14.00) was so large it was difficult to eat. The Wedge Salad ($9.00) was not recognizable as what we Texans know as a wedge salad. The wines and mixed drinks were good. It was a fair meal, with poor service, at a high price.
There are better values for lodging in Mammoth. There are much better restaurants. If you are coming during ski season and want a ski place at the lift this might be for you. But for us "non ski bums", it was a not of good value.

Room Tip: No air conditioning.... Some rooms have a window where you can see the ski lift. Others are on the...

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We had bought a Living Social deal for two nights in a room with two queen beds and breakfast included for two persons. The price was good although I agree, there shouldn't be a resort fee in the off-season when everything is closed in the vicinity. We were promptly upgraded to a king bed with a queen bed in the loft. Thank you for that Stephanie!! The room was nicely sized but it is true, the bathrooms are small and the water leaks into the wall behind the tub. Also our bathroom sunk was plugged and took forever to drain. The bed (the king sized one) was very comfortable and I loved all the pillows! The walls seem to be pretty thick because I never heard our neighbors. It is true too that the pool and jacuzzi are a little walk...which we didn't mind...as they were very comfortable! And the view was spectacular! We ate our included breakfast each day and were a little disappointed with the food. The pancakes were actually crispy and the potatoes not. The bacon was also limp. We were extremely surprised to hear they normally charge $18.00 for that! I would have never paid that kind of money for the quality or lack there of, of the food. It was very nice that you could borrow dvd's to watch movies in your room. The staff was very friendly at the front desk. Stephanie and Carol (?) were great. Carol arranged for robes to be waiting for us in our rooms for when we returned from a hike so we could go to the jacuzzi and pool and stay warm. Gene, the shuttle bus driver, was also very nice and pleasant. All in all a good stay. I might return again, but i do wish, as I previously stated, that there wasn't a resort fee in the off season.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was a lovely hotel in a beautiful area!
For motorbikers this area is a dream come true.
The room was spacious, clean & comfortable.
Hotel amenities were good, food & drink options adequate and chef was amenable to menu changes due to allergies :)
Staff very friendly and easy check in/out

1  Thank BeaandBeth
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at mammoth lakes during low season. The room was comfy but very hot, I think the heating was on and we found it unnecessary for the time of year. Its a fantastic location for the mountain its self and has the adventure centre right on the doorstep, but is a bit of a drive to the actual village, where we tended to spend alot of our time. The pool is really nice as its warm and has a lovely view of the mountain, my husband and I had it to ourselves one evening and it was great. The bar in the hotel is nice, lovely mountain feel but ate in the village both nights we stayed. We were going to eat at the yodler but found it had actually closed up for the night early, despite advertising opening times all year, we were disappointed in this. I think overall i would consider staying at this hotel again during high season, but if i was to return again during low season would probably stay in the village.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear hayla82

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed yourself.

I will address the Yodler not staying open as advertised with the appropriate staff and I will ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We checked in late - The front desk clerk, Kate (Cate, Cade???) was so welcoming. He was able to upgrade us to a King quickly and without a hassle. We got into the room and turned on the TV and something was not working - so we called Kate - He came by and tried to troubleshoot it but while he was unable to fix it at that time - he waved our resort fee - Super Cool - then he offered us to select a DVD - which was a better option anyway since nothing is on TV at 2am.

Bed - Super Comfy - Wow! We have a SelectComfot bed at home. However, we were pleasantly surprised. We slept excellent. They also had so many pillows - Felt really plush for an older resort.

BTW - TV was swapped in minutes the nest day and worked great!

Coffee House in lobby is a bit expensive - water is $5.00 for a small bottle - BUT - they offer a big FREE pitcher to fill your pack before you go out for the day! Their coffee is great. Staff was all super friendly and made us feel welcome the entire time we were there.

We went for a bike Trip - BTW - Midweek Trip to MMI the last week to ride is THE BEST! No crowds - had the entire mountain to ourselves!

Parking was close to our room.

Spa was a little bit of a walk - would love to see them put one closer to our wing, but - you know - we're in Mammoth - so get off your butt and walk a little - it will do you well - :-)

Can't wait to return in the winter for a ski trip - Yes - the place is Old - but they do a great job keeping their rating. Like all older hotels, they could certainly use a bit more exterior maintenance, but when you think of the harsh winter traffic that blasts the place - it is actually in pretty good shape.

Don't listen to any bad reviews - these are just negative people who expect 5-star treatment wherever they go - Reality Check!!!!!

Room Tip: The North wing is a little walk from the spa - But it is Right near the slopes and a quick hop over...
1  Thank DJLuvBride

Dear DJLuvBride

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. The staff will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Rest assured that I will pass on your nice comment about Cade.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Mammoth Mountain Inn is ideally located at the bottom of Mammoth's main gondola. And if you are skiing, snowboarding or mountain biking, it's a location that simply cannot be beaten. The staff are great, friendly, helpful and efficient.

The hotel itself though is slightly tired. And my room, out back in the annex was not as nice as ones in the main building that I glimpsed as I walked past at cleaning time. The room was a decent size, but the decor was shabby, and the bathroom was small. The hallway carpets were not terribly clean. The vending machines were sold out of every product line for the duration of my stay. There was no air conditioning and it became oppressively stuffy during the night. Opening the window did the trick in August, but in mid-winter it might represent a challenge.

The hotel has good facilities, a great bar with a good selection of craft beers, a fabulous view of the mountain, and a great bar-keeper. There is a decent restaurant, a selection of free to borrow DVDs for the DVD player in each room.

The pool area and spa are very good. But annoyingly, the hotel charges a "resort fee" that was not mentioned prominently enough for my liking on Expedia, and which offers very little of value to the average guest. For me as a hike-in, the free shuttle to/from the town was welcome, but it stopped too early to enable me to have a night on the town without paying taxi fairs to get back.

There's a pretty decent lobby shop, which sells pastries and coffee. But very poor signage made it impossible to tell what they actually sold, or what any of it cost. When I arrived the table by the entryway was full of plastic glasses of lemonade - but there was nothing so say whether they were for sale, or complementary. There is coffee in jugs out front of the counter - with no instructions or prices, and a more impressive set of coffee machines behind the counter - but with no menu or prices. I wanted to buy, but didn't want the hassle of having to ask about everything they sold, so I shopped elsewhere.

As a hike in, I didn't have my iPhone with me, but there is a small (2 machine) business centre, but the machines are ancient and underpowered, and the web browser so old it will not support many modern email and collaboration websites. I had to register with, and use services that I do not normally use to be able to contact the outside world. You'll probably be able to make use of the free lobby WiFi.

Mammoth Mountain Inn needs a refurb. It needs to drop the resort fee. It's operating in a competitive market with lots of alternatives, and all it has over most of them is its excellent location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DoctorDee69

Dear DoctorDee69

Thank you so much for all your great comments and observations - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input. It is great to have another set of eyes looking at the hotel.

Please know that we will be making progress based on all your time and care.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for one night. First impressions were that the rooms were very sparse but in a very Scandinavian "no clutter" way. I really liked it, but someone who likes fancy cushions and furnishing might not! The hallways did seem a bit shabby but that bothered me not a jot; I'm not sleeping in the hallways after all!

We didn't have any problems with air conditioning as we stayed in September when the temperatures are perfect and no heating/cooling is needed, so I can't comment on the quality of that.

The bedrooms and bathrooms were of a decent size with plenty of towels and toiletries.

We dined in the bar from the evening menu. Portions were of a decent size and we all enjoyed our food bar my partner who found the veggie curry to be too heavy.

The kitchenette was well-stocked with pots, glasses etc.

We really stayed here for the location, and in the morning enjoyed a gondola trip to the top of the mountain. The staff on that were all very nice, bar the man who sold us our (not cheap) tickets who didn't do please or thank you. The trip itself was great, with spectacular views from the top. The visitor centre at the top has great information if you are at all interested in geology and the formation of the mountains.

We walked from halfway down the mountain to the resort area, and loved it. My partner and I aren't experienced hikers and managed well enough.

Overall, I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank S R

Dear S.R.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am really glad that you liked our hotel - it means a lot.

Look forward to seeing you soon.