“Ski in/ski out convenience but desolate at night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mammoth Mountain Inn

Mammoth Mountain Inn
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Los Angeles, California
“Ski in/ski out convenience but desolate at night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I recently took one of the newly established non-stop flights to Mammoth from San Diego for the holiday weekend, fully expecting that my first day would be a half-day on the slopes. But the flight is so quick and convenient as is the ski rental service at the hotel, that I was on the lifts by 10:30 am. Amazing. There is a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel which is just perfect for a quick ski weekend. The hotel was reasonably priced for Mammoth, particularly one that is ski-in, ski-out, and they have made some efforts to update the rooms, but the Inn still comes across as an overgrown 70s motel rather than a gracious ski lodge. As just one example, the new flat screen TV is plopped right in front of the desk top mirror, rendering the latter useless. And don't get me started on the "nightlife." Dead. dead. dead. The Inn's bar shuts down around 9, even on a holiday weekend. And shuttle service into the rest of town doesn't extend into the evening so you're basically stuck in the this desolate outpost until the morning unless you've rented a car. The drafty and gloomy main restaurant makes you wish you had ordered room service.--they don't even bother to take away or hide the morning breakfast buffet service items during the dinner hour. There is a better "German" restaurant/bar next door (though devoid of German food as far as I could tell). It also shuts down before the 10 0'clock news--even on a Saturday. I do recommend this hotel for budget conscious travellers focused purely on the ski experience. For that, it offers great value and convenience--including in and out of the on-site ski rental shop in 15 minutes and then two minutes to the lifts. But for anyone looking for alpine charm and fun nightlife, go elsewhere--preferably in or near the Village.

Room Tip: I was in an out-building with a confusingly similar name to another out-building, and which required...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kenat323
, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Kenat323

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. It is though comments like yours that we are able to improve our services.

Please know that we are indeed working on our night life and later transportation - you have a very valid point.
Jette Larsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Mammoth Mountain Inn is located right at the base of the mountain, adjacent to several lifts and a gondola. Probably handy during ski season. The general feel and accomodations are very plain, fairly tired, and at best utilitarian. Which is all fine if your expectations are properly aligned. It is not a luxury experience, and does not try to be. If you stay here during the off-ski season, you had better have client business with Mammoth Mountain itself, or you are a sportsman of some sort. It is remote, a good 10 minute drive back down to the village. Price is OK.

If you want luxury, head back down to "the village" in Mammoth Lakes. There are decent eating experiences to be found there, and accomodations as well.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Xenos1
Dear Xenos1

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn.

Please know that we are in the process of upgrading our hotel. I certainly agree with you that we are in need of updating. We will most certainly use your input.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed in the main building and had the added benefit of the loft suite which was terrific. This meant we had a staircase within our room that led up to an upper level where my daughter had her own area with queen bed.

The room was REALLY spacious with a balcony that overlooked the slopes. A few steps away from the room you are back in the main building with bar and restaurant just above the lobby.

We absolutely loved it, but people we met who were staying in the outer buildings weren't so enthusiastic so might be worth checking where your room might be?

However the difference that made the difference between this and ski hotels I have stayed at in the USA and Europe is quite simply the staff.

We stayed here for 1 week so came into contact with a lot of their crew and could not fault any of them. Actually this isn't doing them justice - they completely exceeded our expectations every time.

The culture of high standards service ran through everybody from the waiting staff in the bar to the ski valet guys and even the maids.

And thanks to guy who I asked if I could borrow a shovel to dig my car out of the snow, not only got me a shovel but also refused to let me do it and did it himself!

Whatever it is you're doing when you train and recruit staff make sure you keep doing it...

Room Tip: If you're travelling with family get a loft suite, they are ace!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear MoggyF1

Thank you for sharing your great experience - our staff will be delighted that you had such a great time.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This place is absolutely the pits! Sure, the location is really really good, but it's so not worth having to stay in such a run-down, nasty place. I think some of their rooms that are in the main building might be better than in the side building, but I didn't stay at one of the nicer rooms, so that's too bad. My review is for rooms in the side building in the East Wing.

This is what was good about the room: They provide Aveda hair products and soap and lotion. Aveda is high quality so that's nice.

This is what was bad about the room: Everything else. The beds are lumpy. The pillows are the WORST. They gave me such a neck ache the next day. The hair dyer is crappy and overheats after being on for like 3 seconds. The shower cannot hold the water temperature at all. The toilet basin cover did not fit the toilet - not a big deal, but just an example of ghettoness. The coffee maker's water reservoir was nasty - obviously not cleaned. The door to the room was crooked and let in a lot of light. The wifi is really really slow. The room was SWELTERING hot. Like ridiculous hot, and it's cold outside, so what the hell? I tried to use the AC but it seemed to only heat the room so that was useless. I had to open the windows instead (and there are no screens on the window). Our room was RIGHT in front of the elevator door. Like, you come out of the elevator and you're right in front of our room. So we kept hearing the elevator buzzing all night. The walls and ceiling are insanely thin - like paper. You can hear EVERYTHING. I could practically hear the conversation of whoever was above us. The layout of the room was really weird. When you walk in the door, one of the beds is RIGHT there right beside the door instead of side by side with the other bed in the room like at most hotels. The air circulation is very poor - we felt very suffocated in the room, even with the windows open. The ice maker on our floor was broken so we actually had to go to a different BUILDING to get ice because that ice maker was the only one in the entire building. And the soda machine was out of order. Very ghetto.

They just need to tear down that side building and build a new one. It's beyond terrible.

My main other gripe is with the resort fee. They make the room seem cheaper than it is by having the room fee and this resort fee separate. The resort fee seems to be for things you'd expect to be free at most hotels, like free local calling and coffee and tea in your room (though our room had no tea). So whatever you see as the advertised price of your room, just add $25 and that is the real price of your room (before tax). I got a room with 2 queen-sized bed and the price was $149, but after the resort fee and tax, it was about $190. What a rip-off. I've been in MUCH NICER Motel 6's.

Also there is no breakfast to be found anywhere. There's a restaurant, but it's closed for breakfast. What the hell? That's useless! You gotta eat before you burn energy on the slopes. You'd think breakfast service would be easy money for them.

Next time I go to Mammoth, I will definitely stay somewhere else. I would only stay here again if they remodeled the entire place.

Room Tip: I don't know the name of the building we stayed in, but there's an East Wing and a West Wing...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank happysushi415
jettelarsen, General Manager at Mammoth Mountain Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear happysushi415

I am very sorry about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We are indeed planning a major renovation. The Main Building has already been renovated for future reference.

Peterborough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayted for 10 nights in April 2012.

Our room was in the East Wing annex building which at first I didn't like but got used to it. Also when geared up for skiing and with equipment it was nice not to walk through reception and endless corridors.

The hotel could do with update but our room was spotless everyday, lovely Aveda toiletries and the beds were soooooo comfy.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, the free bus service (including the airport shuttle) was put to very good use throughout our stay.

All the staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble.

We tended to out in the village for our evening meal and only used the bar on a couple of ocassions. We did however eat in the Yodler a few times which was very nice.

One tip is to shop around for ski hire. The onsite prices are very steep compared to the village shops, but I suppose some will pay for convenience. I was quoted €308 for skis for 10 days and I bought some ex hire ones for €100 after a few calls.

Overall we had an amazing time and hope to come back again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear SAH1409

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I will share with the staff - they will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your family ski holiday.

Anaheim
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

after a 323.40$ estimate for two nights, I ended up paying 623.40$ .... just felt like I was robbed... the online prices doesn't include all the hidden charges.

Room Tip: I would rather choose another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Chris N

Please contact us directly so we can assist you with your bill at 760-934-2581.

Culver City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Mammoth Mountain Inn is one of California's best-kept secrets for skiing. The convenient walk across the parking lot to the lifts is wonderful. I come up at least once a month during the ski season. The courteousness of the staff is remarkable. In particular, Ms. Darla Ross goes the extra mile to make sure guests are treated with the utmost of care and professionalism. Service ranks highly on my list of reasons why I return to the Mammoth Mountain Inn year after year!

Warmly,
Cynthia

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Cynthia

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. I will share with our staff as they will be delighted with your feedback - yes Darla is wonderful!