“Wonderful High Sierra Cabin - Way Better than Roughing It!”
Review of Rock Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mammoth Lakes
Rock Creek Lodge
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Ocean View, Hawaii
“Wonderful High Sierra Cabin - Way Better than Roughing It!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

First discovered RCL two years ago while riding in the Fall Horse drive at the RC Pack Station. Promised to return to this lodge with my loved ones to enjoy the beautiful crisp autumn of the Eastern Sierras and it happened this year! We (3 adults, 3 dogs) stayed at one of the modern cabins which sleeps 6, so there was ample room for us - but I can see where 6 large adults might feel a bit crowded on the available bedding. The cabin was charming, clean, had lots of windows and a small porch. We never ran out of hot water for showers, as another traveler noted below. The cabin has a kitchenette with pots, pans, utensils, dishware, glasses and coffee cups, where we prepared several dinners after enjoying full days of hiking with our dogs, photography, and day trips to Devils Postpile, Mammoth Lakes, Mono Lake, the Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop and Keough Hot Springs just south of Bishop. At the time of our visit, RCL was serving a full and hearty breakfast menu (costs extra). Remember you are in the high Sierras so the expectation is that you are not sitting in front of the TV or pecking at your smartphone all day - so no TV in the cabin. Fine with us! However, we had internet connectivity in the cabin but it wasn't very strong but that too was fine with us! My partner and I love the Eastern Sierras and its quiet rugged beauty and loved RCL. My 80 something Mom liked it a lot but missed her cable TV shows and the high altitude took some getting used to for her. But overall a wonderful stay at RCL and we will return. Many thanks to Jacob, Brandon, Jan and Dexter for their hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GreenSandBeach_777

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great access to fabulous high Sierra lakes and hikes. There are two trails right from the resort that get to 10,000 and 11,000 foot elevation lake chains, all within 4 miles and the mosquito flat trail head (2 miles up the road) is said to be the "highest trail head in the Sierras" at 9700', with a half dozen lakes available for day hiking. Super Location and setting, with good breakfasts available.
We stayed in one of the "modern" cabins, basically a cosy single wide prefab with a front porch: 12' by 30'. And yes the heater was like a jet in the room. We left it off overnight. the small space heats up quickly in the morn. The larger new cabins (sleep 6?) have a gas "wood stove" that can heat quietly, but are pricey for what you get.
We will go back.

Room Tip: No bath or toilet in the rustic older cabins.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobinandKaren
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

It is misleading for it claimed to be in mammoth lakes as it won't show up in GPRS.

5 of us stayed in cabin 3, $285/nite, which claimed it can be occupied for up to 6 people. After 2 of us took hot water shower, no more hot water.

Most of us slipped and fell from the steep shallow staircase from the loft.

The old refrigerator makes noise.

The central heating machine is inside the bedroom, it's so loud that its like you are sleeping with a plane/train. The faux wood fireplace makes the loft hot like hell.

I talked to Janice, who has bad attitude, asked us to pay but no instructions for the cabin...

Other than the location, there is no advantage to stay here, we won't go back and warn all of you beware of this lodge. We traveled frequently everywhere and it's our worst experience.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank mimosa1132

Travelers are raving about these Mammoth Lakes hotels

Santa Barbara
Reviewed August 7, 2013

After a hiatus of 20+ years, my husband and I returned for a week-long stay at Rock Creek Lodge, four days of which he was a participant in a plein aire workshop based at the RCL. I can't really rate the fishing, except to say that I saw many guests - both experienced fly-fishermen and youngsters - returning to their cabins carrying strings of very respectable trout. However, the scenery, which has always been the draw to Rock Creek, is spectacular, and the hiking opportunites are endless. The accomodations are rustic but comfortable, just as we expected, and it was a joy to be away from mobile phone, television and computer (satellite service being tenuous at best). The only downside to the relative isolation is that the RCL store stocks very little in the way of groceries, and their dining room doesn't serve dinner -same issue for the Rock Creek Resort - so come prepared. Kudos to the staff for being so helpful, attentive and especially tolerant of the needs of a large group of (mostly) artists! We are very eager to return.

Room Tip: Take a look at their website to view the locations as well as the amenities provided for the three t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Eastvale, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been staying in the Rock Creek canyon area for over 26 years, moving up from tent camping in the East fork camp ground to the Rock Creek Lodge with the modern conveniences of hot showers and heated rooms. I have stayed in the Rock Creek Lodge for 5 consecutive years with no complaints until now.
My sons and I had a very successful fishing trip to Rock Creek Lake over the Fourth of July weekend. We limited out every day! On the return to our cabin on our last day of our stay, cabin #20 was unpacking and cabin #19 was preparing to leave but all guests were outside in front of the cabins. Janice, the lodge manager was among the guests when I was asked by a guest if we had good luck fishing? I answer the guest saying we just caught 10 fish when Janice the manager began to read me the riot act about the fishing regulations, she asked how many licensed fishermen where in the truck, she asked how many fish we had in our possession and all these question in front of paying guests. (12 people approx.) I told her I would not be returning to RCL in the future for the rude treatment and Janice told me good and also good you are leaving today.
Our cabin was $240 per night, rated for 6 people but our party was only three. I talked to the owner (BOB) a week later about the incident and after he told me they were required to report to the fish and game, he hung up on me with no apology for the harsh and embarrassing treatment at RCL.
I do not recommend RCL, the lake also has cabins, and we will be staying there from now on. RCL just lost a five time returning guest.
Frank C. 07/13/13

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank Frank C
Eastvale, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My sons and I had a very successful fishing trip to Rock Creek Lake over the Fourth of July weekend. We limited out every day! On the return to our cabin (#21) on our last day of our stay, cabin #20 was unpacking and cabin #19 was preparing to leave but all guests were outside in front of the cabins. Janice, the lodge manager was among the guests when I was asked by a guest if we had good luck fishing? I answer the guest saying we just caught 10 fish when Janice the manager began to read me the riot act about the fishing regulations, she asked how many licensed fishermen where in the truck, she asked how many fish we had in our possession and all these question in front of paying guests. (12 people approx.) I told her I would not be returning to RCL in the future for the rude treatment and Janice told me good and also good you are leaving today.
Frank C. 07/13/13

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Frank C
california
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have traveled the Eastern SIerra for over 30 years. It is hard to beat the absolutely beautiful setting of Rock Creek. The Lodge is a convenient point to access Mosquito Flats for some of the best day hikes in the Sierra Mountain range. There is a stunning meadow within walking distance, and Rock Creek Lake is up the road. We used to backpack, but now with age, we prefer sleeping in beds and having plumbing. The cabins range from fairly primitive to newer and modern. As others have mentioned, make sure that you carefully read the options that are in each cabin. Last time we were there, I was surprised that our cabin didn't have an oven. But it was listed correctly in the description, I just missed it. It didn't matter and we just worked around it. This is far from a 5 star hotel, so if you are the picky and pampered type, you may not enjoy it. But being able to stay in such an amazing setting is priceless.

Note: the hiking trails and parking can get quite crowded in the peak summer months, especially on the weekends. We always try and book time that includes from Tuesday-Thursday so that we can have some trails to ourselves. Go early in the day to find parking and cooler temps. Bring your fishing gear!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family