“Great location&room, terrible service!”
Review of The Village Lodge

The Village Lodge
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Reviewed May 23, 2005

Our family arrived on Sunday afternoon at approx 2:00pm. We asked if we could check-in early(check-in is at 4:00pm) they advised us that our room was not available because of late check-outs, and would still need to be cleaned. No problem, we could store our luggage and have lunch. we had Lunch close by and came back to the lobby beacause it started to snow very heavily. Unfortunately a photo shoot of some sort occupied THE ENTIRE AREA of the bottom lobby (we have three young children) and the upper lobby area is not condusive to holding many people and apparently other families were waiting as well for rooms. At 4:00 I waited in line to check-in. After taking my money, Approx ($300.00) a night!!!!! I was informed we would have to wait another 15 or so min. as our room was still not clean. We Waited untill 4:30 and again asked about our room. We were told it was still not available. We asked if any other rooms were availble as we were really getting very irritated. we were told the only rooms available were on the opposite side of the complex. (the complex is very big in a blizzard with three kids!!) We opted to not take that room and wait for our room. At this point I asked to speak to management. when I spoke to her she said she was sorry but there was nothing she could do, the cleaning team was working as hard as they could. I explained this was no way to do business and I wanted a room NOW!!! (it was about 4:50 by this time. She says Okay and finds a clean room in the same area as the original. We get our key and gather everyone and everything find our room and low and behold the door is wide open and there is the cleaning staff, in the hallway finishing up? NO, THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED CLEANING THIS ONE. The maid says it will be about a 1/2 hour at least. I Dropped everything. Went back to the lobby found the manager took her aside said she had to be the worst manager I've ever dealt with. I do not understand how she did not double check this room to make sure it was ready before she sent us there. She knew we were already angry. So finally after 5:00pm our original room was ready. And we made it there. At the end of the day we enjoyed our room and stay there but the service is the worst I've ever had!! My advise to anyone staying here is not put up with substandard service, speak to manager for the smallest of problems otherwise you'll be sorry you paid so much for rotten service!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank tedandlisa90

Los Angeles
Reviewed May 20, 2005

We arrived at approximately 7:30pm with one couple checking in ahead of us. By the time we finished checking in an hour later, there were six other parties behind us. Staff claimed the long check in was due to the large number of people checking in. All of the guests agreed it was due to the incompetence of the hotel staff.

The rooms were nice and spacious. You can't beat the gondola to wisk you up to the mountain. That's it for the positives.

We tried to get a high speed cable for their internet connections. We were told that all the cables were loaned out. The lady behind us was also waiting for a cable and was irate because she had an on-line teleconference in an hour. Staff was not concerned and replied there was nothing they could do. For the price of the rooms, you would think the hotel would have twice as many cables as they do rooms. If you don't have the accessories, you shouldn't advertise your additional services.

We also had problems late at night with intoxicated individuals leaving the bars at closing time. Each night of our stay, there were at least two individuals who had the need to yell/hoot as they were walking through the village.

Another problem with the hotel setup is there is only one elevator. We ended up on the far end of the hotel, away from the elevator. This made for a long walk every time we entered the building. You can exit the building through numerous stairway exits. However, these same stairways are not capable of opening from the outside.

I realize the staff was new; however, their inablility to do anything right was unbeliveable. The only reason, I would come back is because of the location to the gondola. If you're not skiing, forget it!

• Stayed: December 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed May 13, 2005

Don’t get all of the negative reviews for this property. The studio condo we stayed in was excellent and extremely large for a studio. Top notch location and everything appeared to be newer. They must have changed staff recently because this crew went out of their way to help in every aspect of our stay. Very accommodating and friendly too! Only negative was the snowball battlefield in front of the condo. Lots of snowballs bouncing off the French doors! Very quiet otherwise since it is on the first floor away from the road noise. The check in area is in a completely other building too so there was very little foot traffic near the room. Would definitely stay here again if in Mammoth.

Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2005

When I reviewed the consistent complaints on Tripadvisor of The Village at Mammoth, I thought that they were the typical disgruntled few who were mad enough to write. The Village was so beautiful when we passed through Mammoth a few months ago, I couldn't believe the complaints had much validity.

BELIEVE THEM!!

Every single one of them is true. I will try to be fair, but I am so upset because I am literally at The Village at 3:32 a.m. writing this review because apparently the architects thought it appropriate to place a whole building next to the evening delivery ramps for the shops and restaurants.

The back-up beeps are unbearable. The chains on the tires of the delivery trucks and tractors literally shook the water glass off the night stand. If I could open my first floor window I could have touched the passing trucks.

GOOD STUFF:
The village is beautiful from the outside and inside. It looks like an amazing hotel. You certainly cannot beat the location from the Gondola. The rooms are well appointed. The studio bed was small and a hard murphy bed. The best...the tile floor in the kitchen and bathroom was heated.

BAD STUFF:
Everything else. The front desk staff were slow, disorganized and unprofessional. It is clear that Mammoth offers employees who would rather be snowboarding than helping you. Everything was a hassle. From the underground parking to the exterior automatic doors that wouldn't open. A woman almost ripped her finger off trying to pry the door open when it wouldn't.

The noise is unbearable. From the drinking crowd leaving the bar and strolling through the hotel and outside the windows at 2:00 a.m., to the constant kids screaming in the hallways. I won't reitterate the vehicle noise waking me at 9:52 p.m., 10: 43 p.m., 11:16, and 2:11 a.m. After the last one...where snow clearing equipment was clearing the walkways at 2:00 a.m., I gave up and simply got up. I know what it is like to sleep under a freeway.

When the staff was confronted about the problems, they did appologize and refer me to a manager who would be in 8:30 a.m.. When I speak with her, I can guarantee she won't have been up for 6 1/2 hours by her arrival at work.

When the remote control for the TV was missing, the maintenance staff initially was incredulous and blamed me for not looking hard enough. When he came, searched the room. and finally discovered, no remote, he simply handed me an alternate remote, complained about how selfish people are (I assume the people who took the remote) and asked me if there was anything else.

The only heat in the room is from an gas fireplace. There is no adjustment so it was ice cold or 85 degrees. There was no inbetween.

This would be a great hotel for under $200.00. When you are paying $400.00, you deserve better. For your own sake, seek it out.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
22  Thank Civillit1
Coto de Caza, CA
Reviewed February 20, 2005

We recently spent four days in Mammoth with our kids and extended family. We were very impressed with Mammoth, what a wonderful ski mountian. The Villiage is a new and clean facility surrounded by a few good restuarants and a Starbucks. The front desk staff could be friendlier, probably a function of the management not the individuals. Our bellmen were very friendly and helpful. Some of the rooms located close to the restuarants can be very noisy late at night. Request a room far from the restuarant area. We had a three bedroom condo that was fantastic! We ordered extra towels and pillows which showed up within 10 minutes. (The standard pillows are extremely uncomfortable, so order softer pillows when you arrive). The parking under the building is great. The pool area was nice, what you would expect at a newer hotel. Overall this is a great facility, not cheap, but convenient. (Tech tip: The bagel shop has wireless connection)

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member