“Loved it! So Fun!”

San Rafael, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,513 helpful votes
“Loved it! So Fun!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at The Village Lodge at Mammoth over the New Year's holiday as an alternative to Lake Tahoe. We flew in via SFO and it only took us a half hour in the air and then about 10 minute complimentary shuttle ride to the village. There were lots of families with kids staying at the hotel and we were grateful that it wasn't the ridiculous party scene that you find in Tahoe at that time of year. I guess we are getting old. Oh well. It's comfy.

The Village seemed to be the best place to stay as there was a gondola just steps out the door from the resort condos right up to the mountain. We went before the real snow came and the kids still enjoyed the man made snow. Since then of course there has been plenty of real snow and I know they are running a bunch of specials as I am now on their email marketing list. Anyway, the location is the best. You are right there with all the shops and restaurants.

The hotel has excellent house keeping service, even though the units are condos individually owned. The first condo we were put in was way too hot and not spacious enough for us and we were moved to a much nicer unit in the main building. They were really booked up for the holiday and we booked with only a day or two notice, so we were grateful for the "upgrade". The nicer units seem to get booked up quickly.

The staff was fabulous! There was a shuttle driver was a Bulgarian gentleman ( I can't recall his name) and he was so wonderful! The shuttle will take you to other shopping, restaurants and other ski lifts nearby.

Our favorite "fun" place to eat at The Village was the Hawaiian themed bar and grill called Lakanuki. The service was beyond great. We came in with our 4 little kids and made a mess, but they treated us like royalty. We ate there several times. Don't worry we tipped big. Big mess=Big tip.

Starbucks just outside your door! What can I say? I'm addicted.

Ben and Jerry's for the kids.

Important note, the food was very reasonably priced here and lots of choices. Also you could find many finer dining places within minutes by complimentary shuttle if you wanted to be a little more "fancy".

This is important to factor in. Too many times we stay at a resort where the dining prices are out of this world and while I don't mind spending money, I just don't like to waste it either. So there is a lot of value here in the fact that you will not have to spend a fortune on meals.

There was a great little grocery market on site and again some of the friendliest people in California worked there. Really everyone at this place, all the restaurants, stores, etc. everyone was super duper friendly. They must be really happy!

They also had a nice day care right on site. We tried to put my 2 year old in there... it looked so fun! But after 10 minutes she was done. The woman was so sweet about it and didn't charge us a penny. It looked nice and clean though.

One tiny disappointment on the mountain was the instructor had my son in a too easy snow board class for a whole day, even though I gave them all the right info when we signed up. That was a bummer. But it was the beginning of the season so maybe they were working out kinks with the staff?

What else? They have a pool and hot tub.. we skipped it, it looked great, but we just were not in the mood for swimming. There was live music at night. My kids loved that! There were several large fire pits at night and that was fun. I know I have said "fun" about 20 times, that's it... I'm adding "fun" to the title.

I am giving this a 5 point rating because we checked out other options in town ( I have my own travel blog so I tend to do that.) and this really looked like "as good as it gets". It's not perfect, and it was pricey. But we did stay over New Year's eve. So that could be part of why it was so expensive. Even more than we paid at a wonderful place in Aspen called The Gant. Check out that review too. We LOVE The Gant. But if you want to be in Mammoth California, it seemed like the best choice around and we plan to go back next year.

The bad? Other than the ski school flub up and the "too hot" unit to start with I can't think of any other "bads." And no "UGLY" either. So Bravo for The Village Lodge!

Marin Momma aka Mrs. Picky reporting in. BTW... If you liked this review or found it helpful, please check that little box below that says so. It just makes me feel good. Thank you!

Room Tip: Plan ahead. Wink wink. And tell them you do not want to be in a sauna. You want to be in a condo. LO...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank MelissaBradley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I stayed here over my son's spring break from school and we all had a wonderful time, the room was very nice and roomy very nicely appointed, kitchen, nice comfy beds, fireplace, nice private balcony and in the center of everything. The kids could ski in and out no shuttles it could not have been more convienient and very affordable. I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else in Mammoth. Just one thing they do hit you with an extra $20.00 a night for some tourism tax they should just add that to the rate.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ljcskmv
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We just got back from our second stay at this property. Our first visit was in a 2 bedroom unit in the Grand Sierra building, the latest was in a 3 bedroom unit in the Lincoln building. I had read reviews that Grand Sierra was a better building, but we found no noticeable difference between the units. This is an awesome place to stay if you are traveling with a group or with a larger family. If it was just for a couple I would probably look at a local hotel instead since this property is rather expensive if not splitting the cost with another couple or group.

Pros:
*Location can't be beat for winter activities.
*Having indoor parking available is awesome, especially in the winter.
*3 bathrooms in the 3 bedroom units - sweet!
*TV's in all bedrooms
*Well equipped kitchen

Cons:
*Only one parking pass for a 3 bedroom / 8 person unit?
*Add on fees: $73/day tax, $20/day resort fee, $4/day civic fee, $1/day MMCF donation

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cybeerkeg
Forestville, California
Reviewed March 28, 2012

There's no better location at Mammoth Lakes! However, the rooms are individually owned, so wide range of amenities, furniture and decor. On this last visit, room had no dressers or shelving in bedrooms, so our bags and clothes were spread around on the floor. Beds not that comfy either. That said, living area, kitchen and bathrooms were nice. Plenty of room for families or more than one couple. No extras in kitchen, but all basics covered. Internet access not that great. Staff helpful. In all, the location and room views are ao awesome that we would consider staying here a third time.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank 1950Jan
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Lincoln House...directly across from the gondola. Our two bedroom was large (larger than the two bedrooms at the Westin across the street ). The condo we stayed was modern, well appointed and comfortable. There is a ski locker room located on your way to the gondola; there is a parking garage below. No place is perfect, the hallways are like saunas so you are sweating as soon as you leave the condo, and only a single parking space for a two bedroom. Additional cars have to be parked outside in the city parking lot across the street. If you are a light sleeper, ask of a room facing the pool, otherwise - expect to be awakened by folks leaving the bars and restaurants. Even with the the (potential of noise), I really enjoyed staying in the village and would definitely recommend it.

Stayed March 2012
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo at the The Village last Spring to go skiing, & we had a very nice time. The condo was on the 3rd floor, & it had a nice view of the Village Plaza. The condo was very spacious, clean, & modern. Our condo was an extremely short walk to the Village Gondola & restaurants/shops. The only major downside was the noise level. At night, the messy drunk people walking home from the bars are extremely loud, & the sound echoes throughout the Village. Also, the snow plows were extremely noisy starting at around sunrise. My advice is to try & get an upper floor unit that doesn't face the street & isn't above or near Lakanuki or Hyde Lounge (the 2 main bars).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Camarillo, California
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My husband & I decided to splurge on a mid-season trip to Mammoth since we usually go in May on a stay & ride free deal at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. This time we got a 1-bedroom condo in the Lincoln House. Of course, we pick the crappiest winter in ages to go to Mammoth, but what can you do? A 5' base isn't their normal 20', but it beats Southern CA conditions any day.

The frustration started after check-in when we were told our room was on "the 1st floor". We parked in the garage & took the elevator to the 1st floor. Once we got there, we walked around lost & couldn't find 3101. We got back in the elevator & some other guests told us 3101 was on the lobby level. "Lobby" & "1st" sound so alike, thanks check-in lady! Um, just 2 rooms in the level with a tv lounge, ski storage lockers, housekeeping, vending & the sales office? These 2 rooms are the handicapped rooms, guess Mammoth needed to be ADA compliant & decided to squish 2 rooms down there.

Due to the conditions (cold temps, just no falling snow!), we didn't experience any snow removal noise as others did in previous visits. BUT, we share the frustration of the others who complained about the drunks. Unfortunately for us, not only did we deal with the yelling & such from the outside, we had the tv lounge in the lobby down the hall from our room. So all the drunks hung out in there to stay out of the cold. One night at 11pm, a drunk came to our room & asked for a lighter. When my husband said no, the guy tried to walk in. Needless to say, he got a door to his head for his troubles.

The "freshener" Housekeeping used was pretty horrible, it smelled like a few cans of AXE was sprayed in there...nothing like a room that smells like a Vegas lounge act.

The bed wasn't that great. I sleep on a Tempurpedic at home, so I'm spoiled when it comes to comfort. But a double Murphy Bed? Really? Why not bunk beds?!?! I guess it was to open up the "dining room", but let's make it a Queen next time, Mammoth.

We tried to get the most out of that $20 "resort fee". Granted, it's a lame & shady way to make more money, but they do it in Vegas too! Anyways, we went to the front desk to rent some DVD's, most the ones we picked were not available. The lady at the desk said we should do s'mores, but we'd have to pay $20...um, shouldn't my resort fee go for that?!? The WiFi was free, although they charge if you use the wired ethernet? Strange.

One complaint my husband had was about the tv...who uses old school boxy tube tv's? I haven't been in a hotel in years that didn't have a flat screen! C'mon Mammoth, use all those $20 resort fees & hit Best Buy on a holiday weekend!

Except for the noise & being on the ground floor, the room was nice. Enough room to hang out & watch tv, then a nice kitchenette to keep some food & prepare easy meals.

The numerous jacuzzis were nice, a dip was quite welcome after a day on the mountain. The pool was a tad cold for being heated, but that's ok, there was an available spa.

The proximity to the gondola is fantastic, about a minute from the gondola to our room? Great! It allowed us to return to our room for lunch & not have to pay atrocious prices for questionable food on the mountain. If you are on skis, you can even use the Village Ski Back trail instead of the gondola for a little extra snow time. It was nice to be close to food also, although not everybody was open for whatever reason.

I would be willing to give The Village another try if I was able to pick a different room & not one that is on top of Gomez', that just looks like a bad idea! I'd also pack my own movies & some earplugs!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple