“A Pleasant Surprise in a resort town”

Gomez's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
Ranked #22 of 90 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Valencia, California
“A Pleasant Surprise in a resort town”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the food. The tamales were delicious. We actually returned a second time so I could have the tamales again.

If available, request a table on the outdoor patio.

• Visited July 2014
GomezsMammoth, Owner at Gomez's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hey thanks so much for visiting and your kind words on the Tamales. Rosa is a "specialist" in our kitchen who does nothing else for us but hand-prepare Masa and make our tamales. They run to the "authentic/traditional" side of our menu in terms of taste with many fine reviews. Should we ever get a chance to tempt you to return, consider one of our "Chimales" when your off your diet! We take our regular tamale and run it through our fryer and then add a couple of unique sauces. A special fusion spin on our traditional item. Super yummy if you've burnt a few calories on the mountain... Safe Travels! Salud!

Sioux City, Iowa, United States
“Mixed thoughts ”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I should preface my review by noting I'm a hard audience when it comes to Mexican food. So I actually didn't have high expectations. I was greeted by a nice kid who found me an excellent outside table on a beautiful day. A lot was going on in the area, so I wasn't sure I could get a good table. But once seated, I waited longer than usual to be greeted by my server. The chips and salsa, which I had to ask for, we're okay - pretty mediocre. The salsa was homemade but a bit bland. I like a little bite to my salsa. But it did have a nice combo of veggies. I ordered a Chile relleno and a chicken enchilada. The relleno was fabulous with some sautéed onions and tomatoes on top of an egg-battered, cheese-stuffed poblano pepper. The enchilada was okay but nothing special. Although the black beans were a bit undercooked and the rice okay, I'd recommend the place for its nice atmosphere and decent food. And if you are a fan of a great chili relleno, order two of those. They are spectacular. (By the way, I'm still waiting for a refill on water and my bill - I haven't seen my server since she brought my food.)

Leslie, Thank-you for your thoughtful and graceful review as well as your noted pre-qualifier. It is hard to meet everyones expectations as tastes vary, but, your review approach will always get a caring operator to take notice. Fair observations and criticisms are important to benefit from. So, we will take your comments to heart and continue to make improvements. Oh, thanks for the shout out on the Relleno as we take a lot of pride in those! Hope your visit to Mammoth/Yosemite was wonderful. Perhaps we can tempt you to return to our little paradise again sometime in the future. Safe travels. Salud!
Antwerp, Belgium
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Nice eating area outside (great atmosphere, play area for children), a lot of choice on the menu and turned out delicious

• Visited June 2014
GomezsMammoth, Owner at Gomez's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your experience. Our mild summer evenings up here are just great, especially after sunset with just a mild breeze. Looks like you traveled a great deal to visit Mammoth/Yosemite and everyone here greatly appreciates it. Safe travels. Salud!
Anaheim, California
“Take Out was Easy”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We ordered take out by phone. The food was hot, fresh, and plenty of it. It was a little pricey but when you see its location you know their rent can't be cheap. It has a great atmosphere and friendly staff.

Visited June 2014
GomezsMammoth, Owner at Gomez's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks so much! We can't always do take-out during the super busy season, but prefer to whenever we can. Always try to keep our portions robust and are thrilled that you gave us a try! Hope your travels can drag you back up to Mammoth sometime soon. Salud!
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Mexican Food!!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This review is a bit late... We visited Mammoth in Dec 2012. After a day on the slopes we had dinner at Gomez's. The service was friendly. The margaritas were fantastic and the food was awesome. We walked in at dusk and immediately felt warmed by the atmosphere. When we left the Village looked lovely with all the fairy lights lit up. This restaurant is a great place in a great location.

• Visited December 2013
Hey now, thanks so much for your kind words! Hope you can get back over to Mammoth again soon... Brisbane isn't exactly next door so we appreciate very much your making the trip. Safe and continued travels. Salud!